The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Flyers’ Snider slams Olympics, Giroux snub

On another note I really didn't think Mr. Snider was this stupid. The olympics grows the sport of hockey in the USA massively every american I know watches Olympic hockey and none of them give a crap about the NHL. The NHL needs to olympics if it expects to grow its league any bigger.

Some guy named Steve Mason would disagree.

Steve Mason did not turn the Flyers season around. He was the 1 player on the team that kept them competitive in the beginning of the season but the Flyers did not turn the season around start winning until the offense flipped on and that was sparked by Giroux.

In Philadelphia's first 15 games the Flyers were 4-11 despite Mason's Vezina style numbers. Giroux scored his first goal of the season in game 16 and sparked his turn around and the Flyers went 6-1 in the next 7 games.

In Giroux's last 46 games he has 51 points (19 goals). Though in all fairness Giroux hasn't been the only offensive player who turned it up as others such as Simmonds have covered a near PPG pace in the past few months.

But point being Mason's stellar play was not the turning point.

Steve Mason did not turn the Flyers season around. He was the 1 player on the team that kept them competitive in the beginning of the season but the Flyers did not turn the season around start winning until the offense flipped on and that was sparked by Giroux.

In Philadelphia's first 15 games the Flyers were 4-11 despite Mason's Vezina style numbers. Giroux scored his first goal of the season in game 16 and sparked his turn around and the Flyers went 6-1 in the next 7 games.

In Giroux's last 46 games he has 51 points (19 goals). Though in all fairness Giroux hasn't been the only offensive player who turned it up as others such as Simmonds have covered a near PPG pace in the past few months.

But point being Mason's stellar play was not the turning point.

Pretty sure it was Hartnell who was out at the beginning of the year and when he returned Giroux suddenly started putting up points I don't see that as a coincidence.

Pretty sure it was Hartnell who was out at the beginning of the year and when he returned Giroux suddenly started putting up points I don't see that as a coincidence.

Hartnell got hurt early on after the season started but he only missed 4 games and he had 0 points in his first 9 games. The entire Flyers roster struggled offensively to start the season. The first line of Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek combined for 1 goal in the entire first month of the season and the team was ranked dead last in offense by a wide margin.

If it also means anything in the 4 games Hartnell missed Giroux had 3 points (his 1st 3 points of the entire season)

Please excuse Mr. Snider, he's up there in years. As far as Giroux being overrated, he is 11th in points in the NHL right now. Ahead of MSL, Benn, Marleau and 74 spots ahead of Jeff Carter. As to the Olympics, would I like to see him have gone, sure. But having him not go means he will be rested for the run for the playoffs and the Flyers play 15 playoff teams when hockey returns. I think it's good that Jake Voracek is going to hopefully get his game back. Raffl and Streit are playing good. Mezaros may be showcasing himself for trade. However, Timonen may tire himself out and that worries me. So anywho, don't listen to Snider, he is just doing his usually blowup for no reason.

Some of you guys are crazy. I've followed Giroux closely and I can safely say he's better than multiple players that made team Canada. He's had monster performances in high pressure games. I would've picked him as the replacement for sure.

That being said, Martin St. Louis was also a great pick so I don't think it was controversial. Honestly, I'd have both those guys on the team and kick someone else off the roster.

I agree with the sentiment, but I don't buy for a second that Crosby asked Yzerman to leave Giroux off the team.

It looks to me like Crosby's leagion of detractors is just trying to stir up more hate for him...

Crosby may not have had asked directly but there's no doubt he's a huge influence on deciding some of this stuff. Kunitz making the team was purely because of Crosby. I'm willing to bet my house that if Crosby some had a serious injury that'd guarantee he wasn't going to play, they would've taken Giroux in a hearbeat.

Crosby may not have had asked directly but there's no doubt he's a huge influence on deciding some of this stuff. Kunitz making the team was purely because of Crosby. I'm willing to bet my house that if Crosby some had a serious injury that'd guarantee he wasn't going to play, they would've taken Giroux in a hearbeat.

Kunitz is on the team because the coaching staff feels that he and Sid have chemistry. It's not even remotely similar to leaving someone off the team because you don't think he can get along with the Captain. Kesler and Backes were able to look past their differences in 2010 and Claude and Sid would have been able to as well.

Giroux was left off because of his poor start to the season and because for some reason, TC brass want a big team (most likely because they feel they'll need it if they end up playing the US in the medal round)

I disagree with your final statement as well. If Crosby were injured and Stamkos was not, the team would still have picked St Louis. As Babcock said, Marty was the "unanimous" choice to be the first alternate and I don't believe that Crosby being out would have changed that.

I'd bet my house that if another forward were lost to injury and it wasn't Crosby, Claude Giroux would be still his replacement.

Kunitz is on the team because the coaching staff feels that he and Sid have chemistry. It's not even remotely similar to leaving someone off the team because you don't think he can get along with the Captain. Kesler and Backes were able to look past their differences in 2010 and Claude and Sid would have been able to as well.

Giroux was left off because of his poor start to the season and because for some reason, TC brass want a big team (most likely because they feel they'll need it if they end up playing the US in the medal round)

I disagree with your final statement as well. If Crosby were injured and Stamkos was not, the team would still have picked St Louis. As Babcock said, Marty was the "unanimous" choice to be the first alternate and I don't believe that Crosby being out would have changed that.

I'd bet my house that if another forward were lost to injury and it wasn't Crosby, Claude Giroux would be still his replacement.

Yes, Giroux would be next. I was fairly surprised he didn't make the cut over other players, even if the positions weren't in his favour. Look here: http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/last-3-nhl-seasons-players-stats.html

Giroux is simply one of the top scorers period in the NHL the last few seasons. Not only that, but he's built a reputation for putting up huge numbers in the playoffs

John Tavares and Patrick Kane have never had a 90 point season before and Giroux has. Sure he isn't Crosby but he definitely isn't overrated at all. Also if you look at his stats this year, even though he had a slow start to the season, he has more points than Toews, Kunitz, St. Louis, Benn, Duchene, Marleau and all of them are on Team Canada.

Check if any of those players have gone 22 games in total where they were held pointless cause giroux has. Giroux gets a lot of multi point games that bumps up his stats.

Team Canada made the right choice; snider is hypocrite as he is also being biased towards giroux.

Check if any of those players have gone 22 games in total where they were held pointless cause giroux has. Giroux gets a lot of multi point games that bumps up his stats.

Team Canada made the right choice; snider is hypocrite as he is also being biased towards giroux.

Sounds like the Sedins. Except Giroux turned his game up and is one of the top scorers in the NHL despite 'not getting many pts to start'.

I agree with the sentiment, but I don't buy for a second that Crosby asked Yzerman to leave Giroux off the team.

It looks to me like Crosby's leagion of detractors is just trying to stir up more hate for him...

I would agree with you in Crosby probably didn't ask for him to be left off. I find it hard to believe players would hold such personal grudges over the actual game itself. In 2010 he had to play with Mike Richards and if anything Richards was far nastier with him than Giroux.

But with that being said Sid is a completely different player when he plays Philadelphia. He is much more emotional and was quoted in an interview saying he hates them all. If he was going to resort to such a petty tactic it would be against a Flyer.

Q: When you knocked Voracek’s glove on the ice and hit it away was that just out of frustration?

“I don’t like any guy on their team there. It was near me and he went to pick it up and I pushed it.”

Q: Why don’t you like them?

“I don’t like them, because I don’t like any guy on their team so.”

Q: The fighting and such was that you trying to spark their team a little bit?

“Yea, guys are emotional and there is a lot of stuff going on out there. There is no reason to explain. I don’t have to sit here and explain why I pushed a glove away they are doing a lot of things out there too. You know what, we don’t like each other. Was I going to sit there and pick up his glove? What was I supposed to do?”

Q: You could skate away.

“Skate away? Oh well I didn’t that time.”

Sid does look like a raging psychopath when he plays Philly and in recent years he has begun to surprise me with his actions. He went from being whiny and avoiding conflict to instigating most of it.

uhpb.gif

Of course Philly does provoke his hate by making him a target in every game since he entered the NHL and Hatcher broke his front teeth.

tumblr_m1tqftu1u21qd79oco1_250.gif

But yes for the record I don't think Sid had any voice in Giroux being left off.

Yes, Giroux would be next. I was fairly surprised he didn't make the cut over other players, even if the positions weren't in his favour. Look here: http://www.quanthock...yers-stats.html

Giroux is simply one of the top scorers period in the NHL the last few seasons. Not only that, but he's built a reputation for putting up huge numbers in the playoffs

I said it earlier in this thread, I would have picked Giroux ahead of several players who made the team. Carter, Kunitz, Marleau and Benn come to mind right away.

As I said before, I honestly believe that the architects of the team wanted size, which was why Giroux and St. Louis (initially) were left off the squad. My lineup would have included both guys as well as Couture...

Well Benn and Marleau I'm okay with because they are very versatile.

I would consider cutting Rick Nash though. He hasn't really proven to be a true superstar since moving to the Rangers. He seems to be on the team more on seniority and him being a big guy.

Well Benn and Marleau I'm okay with because they are very versatile.

I would consider cutting Rick Nash though. He hasn't really proven to be a true superstar since moving to the Rangers. He seems to be on the team more on seniority and him being a big guy.

The "cuts" have been made. Nash is there for the duration, unless he is injured. (although he could be sat out if he underperforms)

I think the selection committee overlooked his slow start, (which they didn't do for Giroux) because of his ability to dominate one on one. There are very few players who possess the ability to both stickhandle their way past a defender, or power past them, using size and strength. Nash is one of those players. Jagr, in his prime, was probably the best ever.

Archived