The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal: Fire Gillis

I'm not sure if you understand how proposals work; not only do you suggest who goes out, but you also suggest who comes back. No ideas on who's an improvement? Thought so.

In what I said there is a spot that I said to promote from within and give Gilman a shot

Gillis did a great job I think has the GM here in Vancouver. I agree that he needs to go and heres why.

1. Its time for a re-build/re-tool process, which would be better with a fresh mind

2. We had a terrible January and his only trade to shake up the roster was Weise for Diaz??

And just think this is the guy who could be taking us through the deadline too....

There's nothing wrong with suggesting that Gillis be replaced...but who replaces him? You need to find a GM that is experienced in re-building.

Two words: Brian Burke.

Two other words: Mike Keanan.

Insure the job of Tortorella beyond current management. This team needs a retool and such a retool is entirely achievable for this year's playoffs.

It just takes someone with guts.

HINT:

Edler is already playing against us.

Paul Fenton from Nashville. They have always drafted very good on the back end

Ron Hextall from Philly. Seems like no matter what horrible contracts or trades Holmgren makes, the owner keeps him around. Hextall is ready to be a GM in this league

Jim benning from Boston. Has been in running for current jobs.

Brad treliving from Phoenix. Boston Pizza/Dragons Den son. Has years in the industry, done well for a team on a strict budget.

My choice would be Ron Hextall.

I feel that he took a young team into his hands and we should atleast let him replace the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Luongo and all the older players.

Let him develop a team rather than taking Burke/Nonis's core and getting fired. We got a pretty decent prospect pool aswell, wait atleast 2-3 years before firing him.

2-3 more years of this? Oh my gosh I cringe at the thought :picard:

Two words: Brian Burke.

Two other words: Mike Keanan.

Insure the job of Tortorella beyond current management. This team needs a retool and such a retool is entirely achievable for this year's playoffs.

It just takes someone with guts.

HINT:

Edler is already playing against us.

Are you crazy

2008 Gillis takes over as the canucks GM

2008 Burke takes over as the leafs GM

Both teams finished the previous year with under 90 points.

What ensued after that?

TO missed playoffs for the next four years

VAN wins two president trophies and finishes each season with a 100+ point pace

Are you crazy

2008 Gillis takes over as the canucks GM

2008 Burke takes over as the leafs GM

Both teams finished the previous year with under 90 points.

What ensued after that?

TO missed playoffs for the next four years

VAN wins two president trophies and finishes each season with a 100+ point pace

The Canucks won their president trophies in the AHL so that doesn't count

In what I said there is a spot that I said to promote from within and give Gilman a shot

I don't think this works. Gilman seems too much like Gillis. The biggest Gillis error of 2013 was perceiving a new stye of hockey that lead him to the Torts disaster. Canucks need a GM with a clearer vision of where the game is headed. I don't know who that is but I would be nosing around Chicago, Pittsburgh and Montreal to see if somoene with management skill can develop a clearer vision of the game's future for the Canucks than has Gillis in the last 12 months.. "Shot blocking" and "we need to be tougher" was obviously not the key to success for the Canucks skill set. We've been there done that -- it was a failure. The next GM needs to be a step ahead of the game. Not a guy who tries to impliment empty cliches. Gillis had a good run with the Canucks. We raised some important banners at Rogers Arena while he was in charge. Insecurity and muddled foresight got the best of him. Is there a new Ken Holland out there somewhere?

Archived