The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

At the draft..

PRIMO88

ugh please don't talk about Cassels.

the more I think about him the more I think of how we could have had Fasching.

Ehlers is the standout guy in this year's draft. The only player who looks out of the ordinary from any other NHL Draft in the past 4-5 years because of a complete, intensified, speed-based game. Hits, scores, dekes, and is a blur on the ice.

What's wrong with Cassels?

The guy started out as a shutdown guy and is now breaking out offensively. He was developed the right way.

Fasching is just a name now. Neither have proven they'll be successful at the next level.

As for Ehlers, yes he looks like an exciting player, but there have been lots of players with flash and dash that haven't met their potential. Nikita Filatov was a player that everyone on here drooled over in 2008 too.

What's wrong with Cassels?

The guy started out as a shutdown guy and is now breaking out offensively. He was developed the right way.

Fasching is just a name now. Neither have proven they'll be successful at the next level.

As for Ehlers, yes he looks like an exciting player, but there have been lots of players with flash and dash that haven't met their potential. Nikita Filatov was a player that everyone on here drooled over in 2008 too.

Do I know you?

lol you sound just like a friend of mine...

Cassels isn't playing an NHL style game, just flowering over his teammates' successes

Do I know you?

lol you sound just like a friend of mine...

Cassels isn't playing an NHL style game, just flowering over his teammates' successes

Wins faceoffs, plays on the pk, blocks shots, and has underrated offensive skills. Plus he plays a feisty game.

What part of that isn't an NHL style game?

I'm not saying Fasching was the better choice, but...

okay nevermind.

Let's have this discussion in 5 years when they reach their full NHL potential, then compare them.

I've seen Fasching play a lot, which is why I preferred him to Cassels at the draft.

I'd never seen Cassels play at that time.

I'm just biased towards Fasching because I've always liked him.

Number 1 centers are not always as clear cut as they seem - but you can argue for Reinhart.

I'm not saying Fasching was the better choice, but...

okay nevermind.

Let's have this discussion in 5 years when they reach their full NHL potential, then compare them.

I've seen Fasching play a lot, which is why I preferred him to Cassels at the draft.

I'd never seen Cassels play at that time.

I'm just biased towards Fasching because I've always liked him.

Number 1 centers are not always as clear cut as they seem - but you can argue for Reinhart.

well for the sake of arguement, you cant be miffed the Canucks passed on Fasching for Cassels. In fact Fasching was still there when Gillis and Co. picked Jordan Subban.

Lots of skilled offensive players start on the wing because there is less responsibility defensively.

Smart players like him with creative ability often make better centers at the next level once they work on the small details of their game.

Gaunce played on the wing in Belleville and then moved back to center in Eerie. He's a smart player, so the transition back and forth is not difficult. He will play either wing or center at the next level based on what the Canucks needs are. If he's surpassed by Horvat and Cassels on the depth chart, he'll likely have to move to wing.

I hope Gaunce gets to play wing early in his NHL career because he's such a great passer, and I would love to have him get the puck along the side wall and actually make a good pass. The Canucks struggle to have good transitions from D to O because of some of our guys inability to reiceive a pass along the boards and make a good outlet. (Kassian comes to mind with this on a nightly basis) I wish Kass was a center because he is good in the neutral zone makes good passes when he's got a little time. Gaunce is one of our best spot up shooting and passing prospects, I wouldn't mind seeing him enter the zone late and let go of a hard wrister or make a great pass.

Loving S N Y P E R S 7 comments reminds me of guys like Dangler, so much though and research go into his posts.

J Subban is 14th in scoring for OHL D men on the second worst team in the league, who has the fourth worst Goals For in the OHL. He's a money ball pick for sure, and we have Grenier who would fill the same spot as Fasching when he's NHL ready.

Playboi, I believe you mean blue collar, hard-nosed work-ethic type players. Ehlers is exactly that except more offensively minded. There aren't any players in the first round that have matured past the point of trying to stick-block a shot. That's something that is better off taught in a higher level where their bodies can take it-or their careers probably could've ended a while ago

Playboi, I believe you mean blue collar, hard-nosed work-ethic type players. Ehlers is exactly that except more offensively minded. There aren't any players in the first round that have matured past the point of trying to stick-block a shot. That's something that is better off taught in a higher level where their bodies can take it-or their careers probably could've ended a while ago

Hey SNYPERS7. Good insight. I was just wondering what your top 10 picks would be in this years up coming draft? Would we be better off drafting the BPA or by organizational need. I'm really liking this Ehlers guy and thats just from watching some highlights. My favourite player growing up was the Russian rocket and this guy is reminding me of Pavel a lot. He looks like lightning on the ice.

I wish we could trade Edler for Mantha, 1st, and Franzen. Even if we had to add a little I would do that in a heartbeat. We could get a top 10 pick with Detroits 1st most likely considering Zetterberg's out. If we can get in the top 10 also we could draft Ehlers and Virtainin or Perlini. Our cupboard would be stacked pretty good for the future.

Hey SNYPERS7. Good insight. I was just wondering what your top 10 picks would be in this years up coming draft? Would we be better off drafting the BPA or by organizational need. I'm really liking this Ehlers guy and thats just from watching some highlights. My favourite player growing up was the Russian rocket and this guy is reminding me of Pavel a lot. He looks like lightning on the ice.

Nevermind just saw it in another thread similar to this one.

Hi!

Thanks for agreeing with me on Ehlers, not many people do.

He's by far my favorite player in this draft.

Ahem, anyways back to the original question.

Would we be better off drafting BPA or organizational need.

That answer was presented last year's draft.

With a high 5-15 range pick, we have a luxury that many other teams lower than us do not. We have choice to pick who we want. We picked Horvat who was ranked a teensy weensy bit lower than where we were picking, but for our organization and future of the franchise, overall, it was a MUCH better pick than the current BPA, who was (at that time) Valeri Nichushkin. Plus, he was probably BPA on M.G.'s list.

Every GM has their own specifically crafted NHL Draft prioritized player list. To us, a certain player might not be BPA, but to them, they are. It all depends.

I'm pretty sure that a few players are high on Gillis' list this year, just because of the way the season's played out over this long . . . losing . . . stretch.

Scoring-prioritized (something we have NOT done all year):

• Perlini
  • Nylander
  • Ritchie
  • Virtanen
  • Ehlers

Defense-Oriented:

• Jared McCann
  • Ivan Barbashev
  • Alex Tuch (known fact that Canucks scouts went to speak with him)
  • Adrian Kempe

Anything past these players, say, if they're all picked or something by the time we're up on the podium, we will go with the wider-marginalized BPA.

If any are available by the time we're up, we have the luxury of selecting whoever is best out of this "cream of the crop", we'll put it.

We need to draft more guys like Kesler, Horvat and Tanev. Guys who are willing to sacrifice their body for the team. I think we should pass on skill and draft more for the way they play as leaders.

Yeah great.

Lets continue to build our team with guys like Hansen, Burrows, Tanev, Santorelli, Richardson... I mean absolutely guys who outwork should earn spots. And a certain number of your players should be here, and their key role is to win battles.

But lets also consider recruiting a guy who can put the puck in the frickin net. We're even shorter on guys who can handle the puck under pressure, make defenders miss with the great dangle and look at making plays from the open ice. The bottom line is you can only win so many games tying the puck up in the corner the whole game as the core means to hold possession.

Our team is begging for more talent first and foremost!

Archived