The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canada vs Finland, preliminary round game 3

goalie13

but it is prelimin. I mean US starts Miller today, Rus starts Varlomov. but I think US willl go with Quick.

Granted, this is a test game for CAN, but they could still lose today. Nothing is guaranteed.

It doesn't matter. Luongo should have got all these games. Absolute disrespect by babs. He better pray I never run into his ugly butt chin face.

but it is prelimin. I mean US starts Miller today, Rus starts Varlomov. but I think US willl go with Quick.

Granted, this is a test game for CAN, but they could still lose today. Nothing is guaranteed.

Subban, Norris trophy, St Louis, Art Ross trophy. both scratched. No worries, team is plenty deep.

Right, but don't you think last game of prelims against Finland no less isn't the time to experiment, when we just beat Norway and plowed through Austria?

Games 1 and 2 are for experimenting, by game 3 you should have 99% of your line-up made up, even in prelims.

I just don't understand what they see with kunitz or Bowmeester other than potential chemistry because they play with their linemates. Not to mention that they haven't done $#!? all in the first 2 games either. Makes no sense to scratch an Art Ross winner and a Norris Winner over 2 players that shouldn't have even made the team in the first place.

Right, but don't you think last game of prelims against Finland no less isn't the time to experiment, when we just beat Norway and plowed through Austria?

Games 1 and 2 are for experimenting, by game 3 you should have 99% of your line-up made up, even in prelims.

Babcock said they are going with their plan from the beginning, which may be to ride price since he was doing better going to the games. But he also recently said you get to make one change. So depending on the outcome today, that will be the change. Finn is the top scoring team so far w 14 goals, #3 PP Plenty of test.

Babcock said they are going with their plan from the beginning, which may be to ride price since he was doing better going to the games. But he also recently said you get to make one change. So depending on the outcome today, that will be the change. Finn is the top scoring team so far w 14 goals, #3 PP Plenty of test.

"Everytime I've seen Roberto play, he's done nothing but win. That's what he does, he's a winner and he won gold in 2010."

So with Babcock saying that after picking the team, then there is absolutely no reason Price was the original go-to guy. If he was, then Babcock is a moron.

Funny thing Detroit probably won't even make the playoffs this year. Good.

From http://www.sportsnet.ca/olympics/price-gets-start-in-net-for-canada-vs-finland/

SOCHI, Russia — Carey Price will start in goal for Team Canada in the final game of the preliminary round against Finland, something coach Mike Babcock figured coming into these Olympics.

"We had a plan coming in and we haven’t changed our plan," Babcock said. "I’ve said this many times, at the Olympic Games you’re allowed one change."

Price stopped 19 of 20 shots against Norway. Roberto Luongo, who shut out Austria, will be the backup.

Babcock is allowing himself plenty of changes with the rest of his lineup, as Martin St. Louis will be scratched to make room for Patrick Sharp’s return. Sharp is expected to rotate on the fourth line with Chris Kunitz, John Tavares and Rick Nash.

"These are great players, great people that are committed to us winning a medal," Babcock said. "It’s all about the medal. … When you win at the end you made the right decisions, if you don’t, you get second-guessed."

Kunitz being on the fourth line means Babcock pulled the trigger on splitting up Sidney Crosby and his Penguins teammate. Canada’s coach praised Kunitz for playing hard in the first two games.

"I think Kunitz did real good where he was. But to me this wasn’t about Kunitz, it was just about our overall team and just trying to find things that work."

Crosby gets two new wingers in Jamie Benn and Patrice Bergeron, who played well with Tavares against Norway and Austria.

"Benn, Bergeron and Tavares have been a great line," Babcock said. "But the great thing about it, is that I can put it back at any time. I’ve got those lines set up where the wingers and go back and forth seamlessly. Kunitz and Nash can go tonight with Crosby in a heartbeat. So we’ll see what happens."

Tuukka Rask will start in goal for Finland, and Jarkko Immonen will replace the injured Aleksander Barkov in the lineup.

Losing Barkov hurts, but the Finns have plenty of offensive depth. They have scored 14 goals in two games, leading the tournament.

"They’ve been playing some good hockey, been putting up some big goals," Canadian defenceman Alex Pietrangelo said. "They have a lot of firepower up front and some pretty good skating D back there. When it comes to the goaltending everybody knows how deep they are back there."

Projected lineup for Team Canada vs. Finland

Forwards

Jamie Benn – Sidney Crosby – Patrice Bergeron

Matt Duchene – Ryan Getzlaf – Corey Perry

Patrick Marleau – Jonathan Toews – Jeff Carter

Patrick Sharp / Chris Kunitz – John Tavares – Rick Nash

Defencemen

Duncan Keith – Shea Weber

Marc-Edouard Vlasic – Drew Doughty

Jay Bouwmeester – Alex Pietrangelo

Dan Hamhuis

Goaltenders

Carey Price – Roberto Luongo

Scratches

Martin St. Louis – P.K. Subban – Mike Smith

:picard:

honestly i can really care less if Canada wins a gold medal or not in hockey. Olympic hockey is a joke anyways.. it's not a selection of the "BEST" player but it's a selection of whomever they think will work better. So you can work your ass off and be one of the best in the game.. but just because they think other players can work better in the lineup than you well too bad you ain't selected.. there's a few players on this team that shouldn't even be there if it's a best on best tournament.. coz there's other better ones sitting at home.

I have not a thing against Price, but he is NOT an Olympic starting goaltender, at least not when Luongo is there ready to go.

This is realistically the only better-than-good season Price has had in his career, and he's playing behind a pretty decent Montreal team in a weak division/conference.

Now Luongo has never been the best goalie in any given season, but he has been a top 5~ goalie every season in his entire career.

1 year in New York.

5 years in Florida.

7 years in Vancouver.

3 years on an actual contender.

And he STILL has managed to accomplish what he has. Statistically speaking he has better all-time regular season stats than Roy, and he now has more shutouts than Roy.

And no, I am NOT saying he's better than Roy, because lol @ anyone thinking anyone in the league now is even close to Roy.

My whole point is, he's no where, NO WHERE NEAR being half as bad as the haters like to make it seem, and he's been one of the most consistent goalies in the league year in and year out, and he's dominated the last decade, and at the age of 34 after almost being chased out of Vancouver he's still having one of the best seasons of his career.

With all this being said, Luongo always should have been Cansdasw go to goalie in the Olympics. I've seen analysts and fans argue that Price hasn't played his way out of the starting position, but I've failed to see these same people prove that Price had played his way INTO the starting position.

Archived