The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Anyone care to explain who Sam Bennett is? He seemed to come out of no where, hardly hyped by TSN and others. No Olympic team, and everyones been talking about Reinhart, Leon, Ekblad, etc.

Although being ranked for most of the season as #1 by NHL, people still in their mock drafts place him as low as 5.

WJC is about all I know about these prospects, so I really dont follow any of these kids.

Gustav Nyquist is playing at the size and weight that Ehlers is right now

You cannot replace speed and skill. You just cant do it. If we can get the top 3 or DalColle , then fine.

After that I take Ehlers 5th. He is simply too good. Its not like he is 5ft 8 or as slow as Hodgson.

Hopefully he will still be there at 6 of 7 . If we just lose our last 2 games we draft 6th 7th or 1st.

Dale Tallon said he sees him going in the top 5.

The guy has boatloads of speed and skill and is stepping up huge for Halifax.

Guys like Perlini and Ritchie were pretty average in the playoffs and likely saw their stock drop.

I've heard Tallon say good things about him but never said he thinks he goes in the top 5. He said they may look into him as an option of a high risk winger But he was also brought up since he was talking about the team already, he didn't go out of his way to talk about him. Unless I'm watching a different video.

I don't see him going in the top 10, similar to the way shinkaruk fell I can see him dropping to. Lots of potential but high risk, and when you pick in the top 10 you can't afford to miss, especially in a vancouver market Linden would be eating up in 4 years if the kid turned out to be a bust

Filatov

Connolly

Burmistrov

Paajarvi

Hamill

All high skilled/ high risk talented forwards pick in the 6-10, lots do turn out but lots don't. As much as people want to down play playing with drouin it does open up room for a small player to skate.

Ennis is 5ft 9. He is also not as fast nor as skilled as Ehlers. The conversation is starting to spin around in circles.

I'm talking size wise....specifically weight as Ennis is under 160.

Read before posting.

Tampa Bay team site.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8474564

"Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Steven Stamkos were both skinny and underdeveloped as draft-eligible prospects. Stamkos is now extremely fit and strong relative to his size, and Nugent-Hopkins has put on about 15 pounds over the past year."

http://www.anguscertified.com/the-nhl-draft-combine-what-does-it-really-measure/

Stamkos was 5'11" 176 lbs on draft day 2008.

1) Tampa Bay Lightning : Steven Stamkos Ht 5'11" Wt 176lbs

http://www.hockey-fights.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/511016/post/923254/

OK?

And he grew an inch or 2 and 15+ plus pounds.

Whats your point?

You can't compare Stamkos to any of the players in the 2014 Draft.

Flames lose so it's impossible for them to pass the Canucks

Canucks will pick anywhere between 6-11 now currently sit 7th tied with Carolina and Canucks have 1 game in hand

Calgary never was going to pass us even if they won. We have the tie-break on them. The best we could do is 6th.

Canucks will pick anywhere between 6-11 now currently sit 7th tied with Carolina and Canucks have 1 game in hand

It was impossible for then to pass even had they won today. Winnipeg win which is hat happened, was best for the canucks

It was impossible before the game started.

Should two teams remain tied after ROW, points obtained in head-to-head games will be used as a secondary tiebreaking procedure.

We won 4 out of 5 games this year.

We will take Virtanen if he is around. I suspect he will go 5-7. Look at his 5S.

Shot - Great release; good backhand

Stickhandling - Above average in tight

Speed - Very fast straight line forward and backwards (sure Ehlers is more agile with the puck)

Strength - Hits very hard and sometimes fights (sticking up for a teammate)

Size - Don't have to worry about him developing he is over 6 feet and over 200 pounds

Intangibles: He is from the lower mainland. First overall in the WHL Draft (he has been on the radar for a while not just a one (draft season) wonder. MOST importantly and very underrated on CDC is his age. He was born on August 18, that's 8 months younger than Ritchie and 10 months younger than Draisaitl. That time difference is very significant for 17 year olds. We should be looking at the second half of Ritchie and Draisaitl season last year and the first half of their season this year when comparing them to Ehlers, Virtanen, Perlini, etc.

Having only looked at the prospect stats and Youtube highlights, I was hoping this thread would help me decide on who to pull for on draft day. Giving more weight to people who I think know what they are talking about, doesn't help. They all make good arguments but for different prospects.

So my question is after the top 5 of Bennett, Ekblad, Reinhart, Draisaitl, and Del Colle, who would you slot in for number 6?

I think the top 5 will be gone by our pick but we may get the sixth best prospect. My choice is Virtanen. Not because he is from B.C., but because he seems to have the intangibles of passion, grit, and drive which you need to excel in the NHL. I was really conflicted about going with Ritchie or Ehlers though. Besides, Virtanen is the sixth best rated North American skater.

Having only looked at the prospect stats and Youtube highlights, I was hoping this thread would help me decide on who to pull for on draft day. Giving more weight to people who I think know what they are talking about, doesn't help. They all make good arguments but for different prospects. So my question is after the top 5 of Bennett, Ekblad, Reinhart, Draisaitl, and Del Colle, who would you slot in for number 6? I think the top 5 will be gone by our pick but we may get the sixth best prospect. My choice is Virtanen. Not because he is from B.C., but he seems to have the intangibles of passion, grit, and drive which you need to excel in the NHL. I was really conflicted about going with Ritchie or Ehlers. Besides, Virtanen is the sixth best rated North American skater.

I will take almost anyone over Virtanen. Im not a fan of his. Ehlers or MDC is da best :D

Having only looked at the prospect stats and Youtube highlights, I was hoping this thread would help me decide on who to pull for on draft day. Giving more weight to people who I think know what they are talking about, doesn't help. They all make good arguments but for different prospects. So my question is after the top 5 of Bennett, Ekblad, Reinhart, Draisaitl, and Del Colle, who would you slot in for number 6? I think the top 5 will be gone by our pick but we may get the sixth best prospect. My choice is Virtanen. Not because he is from B.C., but he seems to have the intangibles of passion, grit, and drive which you need to excel in the NHL. I was really conflicted about going with Ritchie or Ehlers. Besides, Virtanen is the sixth best rated North American skater.

Well don't forget the top rated EU skaters in Kapanen and Nylander could land anywhere, and likely both in the top 10. One of the 'big 5' could well slip to 6th because of this.

I too like Virtanen, watching his highlight real just demonstrates there's no real flaw in his game. He's fast, big, hits hard, hell of a wrist shot and can make a pass. I don't see any reason to pass on him.

I really don't understand why so many people are so high on Ehlers, I'm yet to see one final draft list by pro scouts with him in the top 10. We currently look geared to pick 7-9 what would we pick someone projected to be in the 12-15 range.

Perhaps CDC scouts know something the pro scouts don't???

Hockey Prospect had him at three at the end of Feb, McKeen currently have him at 5, with MDC at 6.. Craig button had him at 7, etc etc.

He has risen in the rankings steadily over the year.. SMH

Archived