The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ehlers, the thing I like about him is he uses his speed so effectively without the puck, getting himself open, then he can score in an instant, he's more of a shooter but he's got good passing/play making ability. Stylewise he plays like Pat Kane except he's more of a shooter whereas Kane is more of a playmaker. (not saying he's going to be as good) he has no problems getting to the dirty areas, and some say his speed won't translate but I totally disagree. He uses his skating ability like P.Kane though (which is where the comparison fits best IMO) but I think he's going to end up as a bit faster.

I agree with this. I dont know who these guys who have lightning speed in junior then for some reason cant skate that way on NHL ice. Is the ice different? Are you allowed to hook and hold different in the neutral zone now ?

Ehlers is fast -as in fast compared to 90% of the NHL players. The only guy I know who utterly failed with this kind of speed was Maxim Afinogenov. The guy could wind up and go right through the entire team -and then wipe out or flub the puck.

Even he managed an NHL career so regardless of the naysayers, the kid will be a regular NHL player. The idea he wont make the NHL for at least 400 games is pretty darn low.

I'm still not sold on Perlini. Maybe a Glencross type player. But I think there is better players out there.

You got to remember he plays on a really poor Niagara team.

I don't know, just watching his highlights you can tell he has that offensive instinct. He knows where to be on the ice to score goals, and is always open for the pass. His wristshot is probably the best in the draft, IMO. Quick release, reminds me a lot like Joe Sakic's wrister or Naslund's.

I see people still severely underrate Kapanen on this board.

I would even take him if he was available at 7th. He seems like the safest pick out of Ehlers (I'd still pick him over Kapanen), Perlini, Ritchie and Nylander.

Virtanen would be a safe pick, but I don't think his ceiling is very high.

I hope we pick one of Ehlers, Kapanen, or Virtanen (in that order).

edit: spelling

You should do one on Kapanen if you know enough about him, I'm curious to hear others opinions on him.

For me I have him right up there as far as possible options for us with Ehlers & Ritchie.

Sure. Here's a few more I just finished as well as Kapanen's:

Kasperi Kapanen - 6'0'', 180 - LW - KalPa (SM-liiga)

+ Elite puck handling skills, creative hands

+ Great hockey sense, vision and playmaking ability

+ High end foot speed with great lateral movement

- Shot needs added velocity

- Game lacks physicality

Note: Logged big minutes playing alongside his father, former NHL'er Sami Kapanen for KalPa.

William Nylander - 5'11'', 175 - C/LW - Sodertalje (SHL)

+ Quick skater with elite stickhandling ability, difficult to check

+ Shows exceptional poise, plays an intelligent game

+ Able to distribute the puck exceptionally

- Defensive play needs work

- Sometimes tends to hold onto the puck for too long

Note: Actually born in Calgary, AB, he is the son of former NHL'er Michael Nylander.

Haydn Fleury - 6'2'', 204 - D - Red Deer Rebels (WHL)

+ Able to make huge timely hits

+ Logs big shutdown minutes

+ Plays physical, can skate well

+ Not afraid to carry the puck up ice

- Offensive game not exceptional

Note: Is a vital leader on his team in Red Deer. Plays against the opponents top lines on a nightly basis.

Jared McCann - 6'0'', 180 - C - Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (OHL)

+ High level hockey sense, great vision

+ Great in the faceoff circle

+ Sound defensive game at young age

- Needs to put on a bit more weight to improve physical game

Note: Regarded as a character leader type player. Was drafted 4th overall in 2012 OHL Priority Selection Draft.

Sure. Here's a few more I just finished as well as Kapanen's:

Kasperi Kapanen - 6'0'', 180 - LW - KalPa (SM-liiga)

+ Elite puck handling skills, creative hands

+ Great hockey sense, vision and playmaking ability

+ High end foot speed with great lateral movement

- Shot needs added velocity

- Game lacks physicality

Note: Logged big minutes playing alongside his father, former NHL'er Sami Kapanen for KalPa.

William Nylander - 5'11'', 175 - C/LW - Sodertalje (SHL)

+ Quick skater with elite stickhandling ability, difficult to check

+ Shows exceptional poise, plays an intelligent game

+ Able to distribute the puck exceptionally

- Defensive play needs work

- Sometimes tends to hold onto the puck for too long

Note: Actually born in Calgary, AB, he is the son of former NHL'er Michael Nylander.

Haydn Fleury - 6'2'', 204 - D - Red Deer Rebels (WHL)

+ Able to make huge timely hits

+ Logs big shutdown minutes

+ Plays physical, can skate well

+ Not afraid to carry the puck up ice

- Offensive game not exceptional

Note: Is a vital leader on his team in Red Deer. Plays against the opponents top lines on a nightly basis.

Jared McCann - 6'0'', 180 - C - Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (OHL)

+ High level hockey sense, great vision

+ Great in the faceoff circle

+ Sound defensive game at young age

- Needs to put on a bit more weight to improve physical game

Note: Regarded as a character leader type player. Was drafted 4th overall in 2012 OHL Priority Selection Draft.

So Haydn Fleury isn't afraid to carry the puck up ice eh? How is his speed? Can it translate to the NHL. If it can, we need him. On that attribute alone, I would really think hard on taking him. This team stopped being a threat off the rush after losing Ehrhoff. We need that back if we want to be elite again. Plain and simple!

So Haydn Fleury isn't afraid to carry the puck up ice eh? How is his speed? Can it translate to the NHL. If it can, we need him. On that attribute alone, I would really think hard on taking him. This team stopped being a threat off the rush after losing Ehrhoff. We need that back if we want to be elite again. Plain and simple!

well all the reports ive read on him say he has good speed. Id be very pleased with the pick. Im still drooling over all the great forwards we have a shot at with a potential 6th pick but if we go for fleury instead i'll still be happy. I do internet player research and see the odd game when its televised, scouts have watched young players and how they've developed for years. If they are pretty damn certain Haydn Fleury is the next seabrook and pick him, im not going to cry why not ehlers. Same can be said for any one they pick.

heres a draft profile on him

Specs

Team: Red Deer Rebels (WHL)

Hometown: Carlyle Saskatchewan

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 198 lbs.

Shoots: Left

Projected: Top 10

A rangy two-way defenseman, Haydn Fleury has made his way to the number six North American skater in Central Scouting's rankings. He is solid defender and uses his speed, composure, vision and physicality to control the defensive zone. He has not quite developed his offensive play to the same level, but that is not to say he lacks promise. He has an above-average shot and moves the puck fairly well but he his vision is somewhat limited in the offensive zone. He has, however, improved in these areas this season and has produced better numbers because of it.

As far as comparisons go, I would liken him to a Brent Seabrook or Jay Bouwmeester. Defensively he plays a similar game to Seabrook because of his size, speed, and physicality, while offensively he could potentially turn into a Bouwmeester-like player, due a good shot, the ability to jump in on the rush, and above average passing.

Stats

Red Deer Rebels (WHL): 50 GP, 6 G, 35 A, 28 PIM, +18

Quotes

"I want to be a strong skater and defencemen that moves the puck up, joins the rush and creates offence," said Fleury on his game play.

-

"He's got good strong mobility, great vision and has a knack for making that first good outlet pass," Central Scouting's B.J. MacDonald told NHL.com. "He's composed and calm with the puck, and has an ability of knowing when to join the rush at the right moments."

-

And seriously, what is with people underrating Ehlers on this board. 5'11" and he is a bit light.

Show of hands of all the people who expect him to be in the NHL next year.... No one?! Hmm, okay then. I seem to recall this one really skilled player who's a center who was drafted by the Blackhawks in 2012 who was even smaller than this. Teuvo Teravinen. It has been almost two whole years since he was drafted. Since then he has put on about 20 lbs and the Hawks get more skilled!

Putting on weight isn't hard to do when it's your JOB to get a little bigger and stronger. It's not like us all. Average joes who have other jobs and maybe can't find our way to the gym. These clubs have gyms at the arena!!!

If we draft Ehlers, I wouldn't sweat it. I mean, who is going to score our goals when the Sedins are gone?! Can't just rely on Shinkaruk and Kesler(if he's still here). We draft him and he sits in the minors for a year, putting on muscle and working on his game. We want him to be the best player in the CHL next year, or damn close to it!

I would even take him if he was available at 7th. He seems like the safest pick out of Ehlers (I'd still pick him over Kapanen), Perlini, Ritchie and Nylander.

You are right I may very well be underrating him, thing is I have never seen him play a single game, but I just read something interesting saying scouts are thinking he >>> Teurvo..

Yea I havent seen him or Nylander play a full game sadly

And seriously, what is with people underrating Ehlers on this board. 5'11" and he is a bit light.

Show of hands of all the people who expect him to be in the NHL next year.... No one?! Hmm, okay then. I seem to recall this one really skilled player who's a center who was drafted by the Blackhawks in 2012 who was even smaller than this. Teuvo Teravinen. It has been almost two whole years since he was drafted. Since then he has put on about 20 lbs and the Hawks get more skilled!

Putting on weight isn't hard to do when it's your JOB to get a little bigger and stronger. It's not like us all. Average joes who have other jobs and maybe can't find our way to the gym. These clubs have gyms at the arena!!!

If we draft Ehlers, I wouldn't sweat it. I mean, who is going to score our goals when the Sedins are gone?! Can't just rely on Shinkaruk and Kesler(if he's still here). We draft him and he sits in the minors for a year, putting on muscle and working on his game. We want him to be the best player in the CHL next year, or damn close to it!

tervinen or whatever has done nothing in 3 games of the nhl. he himself is overrated until I him do something other than skate around aimlessly. right now jensen looks better than he.

tervinen or whatever has done nothing in 3 games of the nhl. he himself is overrated until I him do something other than skate around aimlessly. right now jensen looks better than he.

He will be fine. Played 3 games and there's only been one draft since he was drafted. Plus he is a center. Definitely skilled enough to play in the NHL.

Picking 6/7, Im confident that we get a good player. I think there will be a few surprise picks, one being Fluery picked by Coilers if Ekblad is gone. Also Ehlers could go to Buffalo with their NYI pick. My money is actually on Fla oicking Ehlers. They have enough young horses in the middle. Snagging Ehlers on the wing is right up their alley

If we do end up trading Kesler, and it looks as if we will, and get Otts 1st from Ana...we could use that to send to Winnipeg in a package for Kane

If we keep that pick, I would be happy walkin away with Ritchie and Virtanen. Im confident anyone in the top 10 is a safe pick

Jensen did nothing in his first 2 games in the nhl. Cant really call a player overrated after his first couple games of nhl hockey, especially when he only has 1 AHL game under his belt

Wasn't his pops fastest skater in the NHL at one point? I like the sound of Kapanen. Though I'd still prefer Virtanen. He scores a lot of different ways, seems like that's needed on this team as some guys have become too predictable.

EDIT: Yup.

He [Kapanen] was selected twice for the NHL All Star Game (2000, 2002), winning the Individual event for "the Fastest skater" on both occasions.

Jensen did nothing in his first 2 games in the nhl. Cant really call a player overrated after his first couple games of nhl hockey, especially when he only has 1 AHL game under his belt

really? sme users were calling for a 1 for 1 swap for him and kesler. if thats not overeating I dont know what is.

really? sme users were calling for a 1 for 1 swap for him and kesler. if thats not overeating I dont know what is.

The rumored deal i recall was Teravainen Leddy and Shaw. That was around the rumors that kesler may want out. everyone knew he was heavily shopped.

Gillis set the criteria at young centre and he was the best one that was rumored from any of the beat writers ridiculous lowballs put in. Along with a yound puck moving dman and outstanding young gritty bottom six player. It probably wasnt even true, but that is a pretty good return for kesler, considering NTC and everything else.

If a couple dummies thought teravainen straight up is a good deal then yeah they overrated him big time... But scouts and analysts all think he is a very good player with loads of potential. if anything you are underrating him and the only facts you used to support that were he did nothing in his first 3 nhl games.

I think Kapanen got pretty hyped after his first season in the SM-liiga last year as a 16 year old. I think it's the same case for Nylander. This year, i don't think Kapanen has really lived up to the expectations, but he hasn't been bad. He's a solid pick, but really don't think he's top7 worthy. Not even sure he's top10 worthy. As far as european players goes, i think Nylander has the upper hand on him,since i believe his upside is higher than Kapanens. Nylander also really picked up his game at the end of this season. I would value Ritchie, Perlini, Virtanen,Nylander, Fleury and maybe Ehlers higher than Kapanen
Also don't think Kapanen might be the safest pick out there. I think Ritchie might be the only player outside the top5 that could make the NHL right away, he's physically mature for that. That doesn't mean he will be the best player outside the top5 in the end, but i think Ritchie has some mad potential, he would be a tough player to pass on in our spot. The only thing you could ask is HOW good he will be. One thing we all know though, is that he's a good skater, he plays with an edge, and he's got a good shot. Could become 1 of the best powerforwards in the NHL.

Well don't forget the top rated EU skaters in Kapanen and Nylander could land anywhere, and likely both in the top 10. One of the 'big 5' could well slip to 6th because of this.

I too like Virtanen, watching his highlight real just demonstrates there's no real flaw in his game. He's fast, big, hits hard, hell of a wrist shot and can make a pass. I don't see any reason to pass on him.

man the shot this kid has is insane. Those back hands are unreal and that one where he toe drags the puck in close to his leg and then quickly releases a rocket into the top corner, wow. He also seems very deceptive in the way he scores. lots of look the other way and rifle a high velocity wrister exactly where he wanted it.

For those of you out there who want the Canucks to draft: Ehlers, Kapanen, or Nylander -- you better cheer for the Canucks to win the next two games. The chances of the Canucks taking one of those guys drastically increases the closer we get to the 11th pick and the further we get from the 6th pick.

Archived