The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

? Every scouting report I've read says the opposite. Some even call him a two-way player.

Lol ya I'd like to read his imaginary scouting report

"Although the scouts all agree Nick has next to no Hockey IQ, he's kinda tall and they expect him to go very early in the first round"

I hope Dal Colle falls to us, he's the guy I would want over anyone.

He's got size, skating ability, character & I think he's going to be an offensive star.

Jensen, Dal Colle, Kassian and Shinkaruk on the wings would set us up well for the future.

How could you not take Ritchie if hes there at 6th? Compare him and Kassians draft years. Ritchie dominates numbers wise, plus hes bigger. Kassian took awhile, but now looks like he could end up a top line player. Ritchie will be the same except wont take as long to dominate in my opinion.

How would some of you compare Ritche to Nikushcun? Who is the better prospect. And also can Virtanen compare to a Benn type player? I really hope we get Draisaitl.

edit: fixed it

Quite different.

Nichushkin is a full talent winger with a dynamic and explosive element. He is also a big body that can work the puck but isn't overly physical although it's not a weakness in his game. He was a certainly a top talent that fell because of his nationality. He is extremely creative and has great speed, passing and shot. His commitment to defense will be a telling point in his career.

Ritchie is a throwback power forward that can both pummel opponents with his fists or with his soft hands near the net. He can dominate physically while making room on the ice for his line mates. He has a quick release and solid instincts. He is the type of player that does the heavy lifting for his line. Ritchie is the model of a playoff specimen.

Their similarities are their inconsistency, size and shooting but they utilize these talents differently.

Nichushkin by far... Ritchie wouldn't even be considered in the top ten in last year's draft.

it's not Draisitl it's *Draisaitl.

That's pretty hard to say when there was no player similar to Ritchie in that draft or, I dare say, for near 10 years.

It seems now that you need to talk down certain prospects to justify your own preference. All of the top 15 in this draft are good prospects in their own right.

Where are you getting this from? For the sake of healthy discussion, back up your statements with some sort of reasoning.

Lmao yes it is. His higlights show nothing but the smart play and a nose for open ice

? Every scouting report I've read says the opposite. Some even call him a two-way player.

My bad, I don't know where I got that from, thought I read it somewhere. Might have been another player.

If Richie is that rare type of athlete that only comes along about once a decade, do you still pick Ritchie if Draisaitl slips and both are available at #6?

Draisaitl is still wayyy too talented to pass on at 6

Jensen, Dal Colle, Kassian and Shinkaruk on the wings would set us up well for the future.

We aren't too far away from having a good future top 6:

Dal Colle - Horvat - Jensen

Shinkaruk - Gaunce? - Kassian

We need to improve on Gaunce's spot and get a few more backup guys incase some don't become as good as we think they can become.

We aren't too far away from having a good future top 6:

Dal Colle - Horvat - Jensen

Shinkaruk - Gaunce? - Kassian

We need to improve on Gaunce's spot and get a few more backup guys incase some don't become as good as we think they can become.

I think Horvat is a bit of a reach at this point to be a future 1C. Certainly has the potential to be that, but right now he looks like a 2/3C to me.

Same with Gaunce, his production hasn't exactly been great in the OHL, especially playing with Erie. I think he peaks as a top checking line centre in the NHL.

I think Horvat is a bit of a reach at this point to be a future 1C. Certainly has the potential to be that, but right now he looks like a 2/3C to me.

Same with Gaunce, his production hasn't exactly been great in the OHL, especially playing with Erie. I think he peaks as a top checking line centre in the NHL.

Yeah that is a bit of reach on my part, seems like what we need is a Reinhart or Bennett to take our prospects to the next level.

If Richie is that rare type of athlete that only comes along about once a decade, do you still pick Ritchie if Draisaitl slips and both are available at #6?

Ritchie still has questions though. His top end is less a sure thing than Draisaitl.

Draisaitl's mold may be less rare but it's still extremely valuable.

I wouldn't be shocked if there are more than a few teams that have Ritchie before him though.

I was actually just thinking about this. Ritchie may be a little more rare buts it's still pretty damn hard to acquire a big centreman with that much skill without having a high pick.

I say Draisaitl but if the scouts picked Ritchie I wouldn't pretend I know better.

Perhaps a team before us believes, for example that Dal Colle might be over-rated because of his tremendous linemates.

Do you take Ritchie over Dal Colle if Dal Colle slips and both are available at #6?

Thats a tough one, I dont really know who id take. Probably Dal Colle though.

Ritchie isn't physically strong enough to take hits from big, strong men. Matt Greene for example will have Nick Ritchie thinking if he really wants to play in this league anymore.

Is this a joke? Ritchie, a guy that's 6'3" 230lbs, hits everything in sight and likes dropping the gloves is going to cower away from a guy like Green while on the same token a smaller, pure skill guy like Kapanen or Ehlers isn't gonna have a problem taking that same punishment?!

That's some ass backwards thinking!

Perhaps a team before us believes, for example that Dal Colle might be over-rated because of his tremendous linemates.

Do you take Ritchie over Dal Colle if Dal Colle slips and both are available at #6?

Absolutely dal Colle. He's gonna be a star. He's probably actually got superstar max ceiling. He's got franchise winger written all over him.

I could see a player of Dal Colle Caliber being the situation that allows Bo to be a first line centre some day. A winger good enough to make a star out of the 1B centre.

Dal Colle Horvat Kassian

Shinkaruk Gaunce Jensen

Your top six is 5 hard Canadians 4 with size and a big Danish sniper lol what more can you ask for? Start drafting big Dman and sign me up for the playoffs

Really hoping Dal Colle or Draisaitl drop to us. If not, we should take a chance on one of the higher skilled players. Ehlers, Nylander or Kapanen preferably. I wouldn't be opposed to Ritchie or Virtanen either. They are projects but could be lethal if they progress nicely. The one guy I don't want is Perlini. He seems to not use his size fully and plays a perimeter game. That's not to say he won't be able to use it at the NHL level, it's just not what the Canucks need more of.

Archived