The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Stanislav Chistov isn't European though, he is a Russian. only played 3 seasons in the NHL then bolted to the KHL.

So really the only one is Granlund and he has become one if Minnesota's best players. But I still agree with you that it is a risk.

I actually think there's a chance we pass on Draisaitl even if he falls to us

why would we pass on Draisatl? I know he's slow, but the Sedins are slow and they still put out a point per game plus he would be a nice player complementary player on a line with Shrinkuak and Virtanen (if we get the 10th overall pick for Ana)

Stanislav Chistov isn't European though, he is a Russian. only played 3 seasons in the NHL then bolted to the KHL.

So really the only one is Granlund and he has become one if Minnesota's best players. But I still agree with you that it is a risk.

I just meant "European Skaters" as central scouting defines it...pretty much anyone who plays outside of the Canada and the US.

So yes there have only been 2 (Grandlund and Chistov) European Skaters (Sweden, Finland, Germany, Russian, Czech, Solvakia, etc) who were under 6 feet to go in the first 12 picks in the last 20 drafts.

why would we pass on Draisatl? I know he's slow, but the Sedins are slow and they still put out a point per game plus he would be a nice player complementary player on a line with Shrinkuak and Virtanen (if we get the 10th overall pick for Ana)

the only center we are looking for right now should be a 1c. I don't see Draisaitl being the 1c we're needing. And he doesn't seem to fit Benning's vision. He's not fast but he's not physical either. He has the biggest chance to bust out of the top 5 IMO

the only center we are looking for right now should be a 1c. I don't see Draisaitl being the 1c we're needing. And he doesn't seem to fit Benning's vision. He's not fast but he's not physical either. He has the biggest chance to bust out of the top 5 IMO

he's compared to thornton and kopitar for a reason.

I wouldn't be so sure of "Benning's vision", just yet. For one thing, when he and Linden make a general reference to the characteristics they want to improve the team with, they are not necessarily referring to the player they choose at #6, but more likely they are speaking about their overall drafting direction. So, I think we will get a very good prospect at #6...and I don't know who that will be!

However, I think that they will look to fill a particular need with this pick...a player that could slot into the team within a couple of years. If the pick was later in the draft (say 15-30), then, I imagine they would go with the conventional BPA, because there is no telling just how that pick would develop over a few years. But, even with this draft, a pick at #6 has a very good chance of becoming an impact player.

Personally, I think they will choose a C or a LW - yes, that translates as most likely, Ritchie, Nylander, Draisaitl or Ehlers. Of course, it would also include Dal Cole, Reinhart or Bennett, if any of them fell to #6 (unlikely). Actually, I am starting to appreciate Ritchie more lately, but I have a feeling that the Islanders will pick him up to play on the left side of Tavares. We'll see in a month!

Draisaitl is not slow. He has average speed, but his first few strides are not explosive.

His skating will improve and his impact to whomever drafts him will be extensive.

I like him to become a 1C by the time he's 23

Draisaitl is not slow. He has average speed, but his first few strides are not explosive.

His skating will improve and his impact to whomever drafts him will be extensive.

I like him to become a 1C by the time he's 23

Not gifted in speed, very gifted in balance and strength on the puck. Sorta like Jagr, nobody can seem to get the puck off him, and seems to have a gift for still making plays with guys hanging off him.

Wonder if he can do that against Chara?

No he's slow.

The Sedin's are slow yet they're two of the best in the game.

I can almost guarantee we won't pass on Draisaitl if he falls to us. Draisaitl, Horvat, Gaunce, and Cassels as our four main centers for the future, who could say no to that?

I wouldn't be so sure of "Benning's vision", just yet. For one thing, when he and Linden make a general reference to the characteristics they want to improve the team with, they are not necessarily referring to the player they choose at #6, but more likely they are speaking about their overall drafting direction. So, I think we will get a very good prospect at #6...and I don't know who that will be!

However, I think that they will look to fill a particular need with this pick...a player that could slot into the team within a couple of years. If the pick was later in the draft (say 15-30), then, I imagine they would go with the conventional BPA, because there is no telling just how that pick would develop over a few years. But, even with this draft, a pick at #6 has a very good chance of becoming an impact player.

Personally, I think they will choose a C or a LW - yes, that translates as most likely, Ritchie, Nylander, Draisaitl or Ehlers. Of course, it would also include Dal Cole, Reinhart or Bennett, if any of them fell to #6 (unlikely). Actually, I am starting to appreciate Ritchie more lately, but I have a feeling that the Islanders will pick him up to play on the left side of Tavares. We'll see in a month!

Sounded pretty clear to me that Benning evaluates a guy who is extremely competitive as the way to differentiate between guys who have similar skills. Not bent on size, bent on the fight in the dog.

Or guys who step up at big moments. Composure and focus count as well.

Describes picks like Krug and Marchand who are small, as well as Lucic who is not.

I believe Ekbkad will go 1st overall. Then from there I don't see draistil dropping below 3 rd. just to much overall potential. I can see Reinhart slipping a tiny bit purely based on the potential ceiling of draistil. Be interesting to see. If we trade up I hope we land Ekbkad or draistil just based on their potential projections. I also wouldn't be surprised if we went for a high skill ceiling guy like nylander or ethlers if we keep our pick. I like a lot of the options available to us. We basically have a 1st overall pick of prospects below the top 5. And if one drops it's like us winning the lotto. Could see our pick in play and is falling back to a maybe 9th or 10 th pick in an attempt to grab virtanen who's stock will likely drop due to his surgery.

Getzlaf and Thornton maybe, Kopitar is fast and also a two way threat.

Don't have a problem with that though...

If anyone is to bust, it's Dal Colle (although I don't think he will).

Just a sidenote, THN's Draft Preview is all about the big four instead of the big five. They don't consider Dal Colle in the big four.

If anyone is to bust, it's Dal Colle (although I don't think he will).

Just a sidenote, THN's Draft Preview is all about the big four instead of the big five. They don't consider Dal Colle in the big four.

That is interesting.....

Archived