The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Edit: Long post. Put results of each test in spoilers.

Note- number in brackets indicates rank out of ten. I only looked at the top ten in each category

Key prospects and where they fit in different tests. Keep in mind I'm not a scout, and there may be names out there who are considered top prospects but that I didn't know about.

Some names I was not familiar with but who seemed to stand out: Jayce Hawryluk, David Pastrnak, Brandon Hickey, Sonny Milano (he really killed it), Kaapo Kahkonen, Francis Perron, Shane Gersich, Brett Lernout

Anaerobic Fitness: Peak Power Output:

Nylander (2)

Bleakley (3)

Kapanen (5)

Anaerobic Fitness: Mean Power Output:

Nylander (1) - Really impressive that Nylander scored high in both peak and average power output

Kapanen (2)

Anaerobic: Fatigue Index:

McKeown (7th)

Aerobic Fitness: VO2 Max

Didn't see any top prospects stand out (not that I am overly familiar with the prospects for this year). Kind of a useless test anyway since aerobic fitness isn't as relevant when you're play 45 second shifts

Aerobic Fitness: Test Duration

Reinhart (7th)

Lemieux (10th)

Anthropometry: Sum of 6 skin folds (my understanding- pinch test in six spots on the body):

Fabbri (1)

Ehlers (8)

Body Fat %:

Fabbri (1)

Ehlers (8)

Hand-eye coordination:

(4) Nylander

Leg power average:

Ritchie (3)

Perlini (5)

Ekblad (6)

Tuch (7)

Leg power peak:

Perlini (6)

Ritchie (9)

Right hand grip:

Ekblad (7)

Draisaitl (8)

Left hand grip:

Ekblad (6)

Fleury (8)

Bench press (# reps at 150 lbs):

Tuch (5)

Lemieux (10)

Note-they are pretty technical when it comes to how the bench press is performed. Not necessarily the best indicator of strength

Pull-Ups:

(1) Ho-Sang

Single Leg squat (right leg- from my understanding it was simply a grade out of 75 in terms of their form):

Perlini (6)

Nylander (10)

Single Leg squat (left leg):

McKeown (6)

Agility and Balance (Left Hex):

No notables in top 10

Agility and Balance (Right Hex):

(1) Fleury

(3) Kapanen

(4) Reinhart

(8) Audette

(9) Lemieux

Pro Agility (Left):

Hickey (2)

Nylander (3)

Lemieux (4)

Pro Agility (Right):

Hickey (1)

Nylander (2)

Lemieux (8)

Ehlers (10)

Thoughts: Nylander certainly stood out, especially with legs and agility. Interesting that his legs were so strong but also showed good agility. Would have expected bigger guys to have higher outputs. Didn't notice some names for some of the strength tests. I imagine some college prospects would dominate, as their programs seem to emphasize fitness moreso than the CHL since they play fewer games.

Key prospects and where they fit in different tests. Keep in mind I'm not a scout, and there may be names out there who are considered top prospects but that I didn't know about.

Some names I was not familiar with but who seemed to stand out: Jayce Hawryluk, David Pastrnak, Brandon Hickey, Sonny Milano, Kaapo Kahkonen, Francis Perron

Anaerobic Fitness: Peak Power Output:

Nylander (2nd)

Bleakley (3rd)

Kapanen (5)

Anaerobic Fitness: Mean Power Output:

Nylander (1) - Really impressive that Nylander scored high in both peak and average power output

Kapanen (2)

Anaerobic: Fatigue Index:

McKeown (7th)

Aerobic Fitness: VO2 Max

Didn't see any top prospects stand out (not that I am overly familiar with the prospects for this year). Kind of a useless test anyway since aerobic fitness isn't as relevant when you're play 45 second shifts

Aerobic Fitness: Test Duration

Reinhart (7th)

Lemieux (10th)

Anthropometry: Sum of 6 skin folds (my understanding- pinch test in six spots on the body):

Fabbri (1)

Ehlers (8)

Body Fat %:

Fabbri (1)

Ehlers (8)

Hand-eye coordination:

(4) Nylander

Leg power average:

Ritchie (3)

Perlini (5)

Ekblad (6)

Tuch (7)

Leg power peak:

Perlini (6)

Ritchie (9)

Right hand grip:

Ekblad (7)

Draisaitl (8)

Left hand grip:

Ekblad (6)

Fleury (8)

Bench press (# reps at 150 lbs):

Tuch (5)

Lemieux (10)

Note-they are pretty technical when it comes to how the bench press is performed. Not necessarily the best indicator of strength

Pull-Ups:

(1) Ho-Sang

Single Leg squat (right leg- from my understanding it was simply a grade out of 75 in terms of their form):

Perlini (6)

Nylander (10)

Single Leg squat (left leg):

McKeown (6)

Agility and Balance (Left Hex):

No notables in top 10

Agility and Balance (Right Hex):

(1) Fleury

(3) Kapanen

(4) Reinhart

(8) Audette

(9) Lemieux

Pro Agility (Left):

Hickey (2)

Nylander (3)

Lemieux (4)

Pro Agility (Right):

Hickey (1)

Nylander (2)

Lemieux (8)

Ehlers (10)

Thoughts: Nylander certainly stood out, especially with legs and agility. Interesting that his legs were so strong but also showed good agility. Would have expected bigger guys to have higher outputs. Didn't notice some names for some of the strength tests. I imagine some college prospects would dominate, as their programs seem to emphasize fitness moreso than the CHL since they play fewer games.

Thank you for the insight. I am impressed by Nylander . I am just as impressed with his interviews. I am considering taking him at #6 but other GMs are going to notice as well and the Islanders or Panthers might snag him.

Thats ok. At least we still get to pick from Draisailt or Dal Colle.

And people are suppose to take u seriously when your talking like this? Ban-Tsn and merci level here

Why wouldnt they? Its perfectly consistent.

I have wanted Ehlers, Nylander then Ritchie consistently . Sounds like you havent paid attention. Nylander has the highest ceiling of them all. I guess you forgot to read all those posts too.

Stop attacking other posters . At least do your homework before you do.

Why wouldnt they? Its perfectly consistent.

I have wanted Ehlers, Nylander then Ritchie consistently . Sounds like you havent paid attention. Nylander has the highest ceiling of them all. I guess you forgot to read all those posts too.

Stop attacking other posters . At least do your homework before you do.

I agree Nylander does seem to have the highest ceiling offensively

Let's skip to the point. Reinhart may become a 'franchise player' per se, on a weak team.

What the Canucks need is a legit one. One who can win a cup. And those types come NEXT draft.

So what you are saying is that Tavares is a franchise player on NYI but if he played for LA he would just be a first liner? ...Logic

So what you are saying is that Tavares is a franchise player on NYI but if he played for LA he would just be a first liner? ...Logic

Dont even try, I have given up on BanTSN, I dont even know if his negativity is srs or if its his online identity to get reactions from board members

Archived