The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

He's kinda like Zack Kassian. He's kinda like Brandon Sutter. Stafford? Hanzal? Chris Stewart or Andrew Ladd, perhaps. These are around the expectations i'd have for Ritchie, if he pans out.

Not sure if any of them qualify as 'generational phenoms' or are as rare as you say.

Steve Bernier, Joe Colborne, Trevor Lewis, and Ryan O'Marra are other guys who Ritchie may turn into being like.

Hell, even Taylor Pyatt was a junior scoring star.

Every part of me wants to like Ritchie as the size/skill combo is completely tempting to fall for but I can't help think of guys like Bernier or Dustin Penner as someone Ritchie might end up being like. As in you'll forever be hopeful that one day they'll just put it all together but that day never really comes. None of us know for sure obviously but at #6 I guess you don't want to have those thoughts.

Ana: Kesler

Van: 10th overall 2014, 1st round 2015, Sami Vatanen

Car: Edler

Van: 7th overall 2104, Brock McGinn

6th: Ritchie

7th: Nylander

10th: Fleury

Ritchie-Nylander-Jensen

Shinkaruk-Horvat-Kassian

Gaunce-Cassels-Grenier

Fox-Lain-Mallet

Fleury-Tanev

Vatanen-Corrado

Cederholm-Hutton

Subban

Lack

Markstrom

Eriksson

Cannata

Pretty good foundation we would still have two 1sts next year in 2015, meaning two in three straight years.

Why would Carolina want Edler? We all know what happened between Staal and Edler so no but that would be ideal for us. I am hoping that the Pens lose in the first round so they would actually present a good offer for Kesler.

Kesler for 1st and Pouliot/Maata

I would rather have Pouliot/Maata than Vatanen

Why would Carolina want Edler? We all know what happened between Staal and Edler so no but that would be ideal for us. I am hoping that the Pens lose in the first round so they would actually present a good offer for Kesler.

Kesler for 1st and Pouliot/Maata

I would rather have Pouliot/Maata than Vatanen

Vatanen+10th overall>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Pouliot

Kesler to ANA for Etem + 1st (10th) + 1st (25+)

Edler to WSH for 1st (13th) + Orlov/Johansson

* Trades can be adjusted if value doesn't work

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

6th Overall: Ritchie/Nylander/Ehlers

10th Overall: Kapanen

13th Overall: Barbashev/McCann/Perlini - or if a higher ranked forward falls, take them here.

25th-29th Overall: Goldobin/Fabbri/Sherbak

Ana: Kesler

Van: 10th overall 2014, 1st round 2015, Sami Vatanen

Car: Edler

Van: 7th overall 2104, Brock McGinn

6th: Ritchie

7th: Nylander

10th: Fleury

Ritchie-Nylander-Jensen

Shinkaruk-Horvat-Kassian

Gaunce-Cassels-Grenier

Fox-Lain-Mallet

Fleury-Tanev

Vatanen-Corrado

Cederholm-Hutton

Subban

Lack

Markstrom

Eriksson

Cannata

Pretty good foundation we would still have two 1sts next year in 2015, meaning two in three straight years.

I like the way you think ..

Kesler to ANA for Etem + 1st (10th) + 1st (25+)

Edler to WSH for 1st (13th) + Orlov/Johansson

* Trades can be adjusted if value doesn't work

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

6th Overall: Ritchie/Nylander/Ehlers

10th Overall: Kapanen

13th Overall: Barbashev/McCann/Perlini - or if a higher ranked forward falls, take them here.

25th-29th Overall: Goldobin/Fabbri/Sherbak

25th-29th Overall: Fiala

Nylander with a monster 5 point game in U 18 championship today, 5points (3 goals, 2 assists) in a 6-2 win over Slovakia. I have him over Kasperi Kapanen who had zero points today and doesn't seem to be having a great tournament.

He was invisible against Canada, so I suppose 'long term project' comes to mind and even TheMinister would agree with that.

I'd approach Nylander with caution as he seems to have attitude problems, and will he be a true #1 center? Not so certain as he's currently playing as winger in that tournament. So we'd end up with yet another pretty much one-dimensional skilled left-shooting little guy to compete with Shinkaruk. But hey, he has skill, right?

He was invisible against Canada, so I suppose 'long term project' comes to mind and even TheMinister would agree with that.

I'd approach Nylander with caution as he seems to have attitude problems, and will he be a true #1 center? Not so certain as he's currently playing as winger in that tournament. So we'd end up with yet another pretty much one-dimensional skilled left-shooting little guy to compete with Shinkaruk. But hey, he has skill, right?

Nylander dominates kids the same age as him. He has the skills to be a superstar in the NHL with his offensive skills.

Nylander shoots right not left, and plays C/RW. Make sure you know what you're talking about before you act like your a genius. Defense can be taught. Offensive IQ, hockey sense can not.

Nylander dominates kids the same age as him. He has the skills to be a superstar in the NHL with his offensive skills.

Nylander shoots right not left, and plays C/RW. Make sure you know what you're talking about before you act like your a genius. Defense can be taught. Offensive IQ, hockey sense can not.

Sigh...

All i'm saying is that he's a long-termer. Dominating 17yr old Slovaks doesn't impress me too much. He'll need to work on a lot of NHL skills and grow in order to be effective.

Superstar? No. Not really. There aren't any in this draft, imho.

Meanwhile, what of his attitude problems? This issue would concern me after the Coho fiasco.

Sigh...

All i'm saying is that he's a long-termer. Dominating 17yr old Slovaks doesn't impress me too much. He'll need to work on a lot of NHL skills and grow in order to be effective.

Meanwhile, what of his attitude problems? This issue would concern me after the Coho fiasco.

You have described pretty much about 95% of all prospects that are drafted. Very seldomly are players able to be effective contributors to their team right out of the draft let alone turning out to be what they were expected to be.

No matter who you take at 6th overall, whether its Ehler, Virtanen, Kapanen, Perlini, Ritchie, McCann....they will take several years before the enter a lick in the NHL. Everyone one of them has good talent, but are all raw prospects that will take a few years before they are NHL ready.

Sigh...

Maturity. How many veterans complain about ice time or where they play? It happens with everybody, he'll realize that in the NHL.

He has been PPG in Allvenskan, that is pretty dam good. He is arguably the best offensive player in the draft, you don't pass up that type of skill.

Maturity. How many veterans complain about ice time or where they play? It happens with everybody, he'll realize that in the NHL.

He has been PPG in Allvenskan, that is pretty dam good. He is arguably the best offensive player in the draft, you don't pass up that type of skill.

Sure you do, when various other issues arise. If the Nhl was all about skill, well, we'd have a cup by now.

Sure you do, when various other issues arise. If the Nhl was all about skill, well, we'd have a cup by now.

NHL isn't all about 6'5 250 pound goons either. We have role players, we don't have enough skill, finesse players who simply score.

Archived