The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I hope Calgary takes Ritchie, because that would be a waste of a pick on their part. I'm not afraid of Ritchie turning into the next Lucic. Lucic, like all power forwards, you easily get throw them off their game, get under their skin and they'll resort to goonary.

Lucic's personality doesn't determine what other larger players will act.

Ritchie's older bro played hockey, unlike Lucic he had a guy to guide him and give a great attitude.

Prob the x factor for me

Dal Colle cannot fall, Burke would be too stupid.

Ok, here's a question for Plum and SK…. since you two are the biggest Kapanen supporters.

How would you compare his skill set, and attributes, compared to Artturi Lekhonen?

What makes Kapanen a much better prospect, or does he? Why?

Artturi Lekhonen is more of a 1 dimensional player than Kasperi Kapanen. I would say Kasperi Kapanen is the smarter player, defensively but their offensive skills are close to the same. Both have very skilled hands. Kapanen is stronger, IMO.

Kapanen has some disturbing hands, I see the same thing in Ritchie's game cutting to the open ice as well as how he protects the puck so well when he drives the net.

I houldn't make Kapanen sound so much worse than 7th overall but Ritchie has generational potential.

Artturi Lekhonen is more of a 1 dimensional player than Kasperi Kapanen. I would say Kasperi Kapanen is the smarter player, defensively but their offensive skills are close to the same. Both have very skilled hands.

There must be more than than just that to separate a 55th overall pick and a 6th overall pick in your mind, right?

2013 was a deeper draft but not that much deeper to account for that spread.

Lucic's personality doesn't determine what other larger players will act.

Ritchie's older bro played hockey, unlike Lucic he had a guy to guide him and give a great attitude.

Prob the x factor for me

Dal Colle cannot fall, Burke would be too stupid.

Ritchie has over 130 PIM and only 3 misconducts. He takes a lot of stupid penalties, because he gets agitated easily.

Lucic has Iginla this year to guide him and yet he still does dirty antics. (This coming from a Lucic fan)

Ritchie has over 130 PIM and only 3 misconducts. He takes a lot of stupid penalties, because he gets agitated easily.

Lucic has Iginla this year to guide him and yet he still does dirty antics. (This coming from a Lucic fan)

PiM in junior, come on thats not fair, he's 18

prob gets targeted all the time, for large reasons

There must be more than than just that to separate a 55th overall pick and a 6th overall pick in your mind, right?

I wish I could take you into little more details but I don't have that much knowledge of Lehkonen.

Kapanen is the more North American player, he has the strength that Lehkonen lacks and he can be agitator physically because of Kapanen's work ethic. Kapanen is more skilled offensively and if Lehkonen doesn't find a defensive game like Kapanen then he is one and done if he doesn't become an offensive juggernaut while Kapanen has defense to fall back on.

Kapanen with his defensive abilities and speed can already be a 3rd liner at the NHL level like Hansen at his floor but then his offensive abilities can lead him to be one of the most complete players in the league. The way Finnish players are coming out lately, I wouldn't be surprised if Kapanen becomes a highlighter like TT.

Ok, here's a question for Plum and SK…. since you two are the biggest Kapanen supporters.

How would you compare his skill set, and attributes, to Artturi Lekhonen?

What makes Kapanen a much better prospect, or does he? Why?

The first thing is obviously size. Lehkonen is 5'10 - 160 at 18, Kapanen is 6'0 - 180 at 17.

In there skills I think Kapanen has got a much more complete game, his defensive play his better, IMO projects to be more of player you can count on as far as a defensive role goes. He's also a more physical player and better at battling, niether are afraid of the rough stuff, but with Kapanen's size & strength advantage he's better at winning battles and being aggressive.

Kapanen is a better skater, Lehkonen is fast, but aside from speed I think Kapanen is more agile, elusive & has better acceleration.

Kapanen is a better playmaker & passer, a more dynamic offensive player in that while Lehkonen has a good shot aswell, he's not the setup guy Kapanen is, Lehkonen gets himself open for shooting opportunities but he doesn't create offense for his line like Kapanen does. Kapanen is a better powerplay presence, again more dynamic and he has a better one timer, I would even give him the edge in his shooting honestly. I think Kapanen is just a more dangerous offensive player overall.

Lehkonen is a good offensive player but to me Kapanen is just tier above.

IDK. I've read every top 15 prospect being talked down in this thread by a variety of people.

The simple fact is they all do some things very well, IMHO. I'm not sure why people are so confident of their opinions when they have no reliable track record to back it up.

I don't understand the point of liking one player at a spot but being dismissive of all others. That's crazy.

Pretty ridiculous eh haha.

I don't know why it's so hard to just state why you think it would benefit the team more by drafting the player of your choice. Any one of them would be sweet, really. Hell, even Sonny Milano would be a nice addition to the pool.... I guess it's just human nature to try to describe what an imaginary disaster it would be to pick anyone but the guy you want.

It's not really Ritchie's size that's so appetizing it's the fact he has the skill of a top 20 player in the body of a guy bigger than 90% of NHLers today

any form of development and his ceiling just doesn't stop

Sorry, but I just don't see the skill. Ritchie's speed, size, shot and release are definitely top end, and I like his strength and mean streak. But skill in the sense of the ability to dangle, make sweet passes, moves at high speed, I just don't see. Maybe those who have actually watched him play more can speak to this, but it's not there in his highlight package or the game highlights that I've seen. I'd also be interested in anything people have to say about his hockey IQ, positioning, creativity, etc. because that doesn't come through either in the video I've seen. Not saying it isn't there, only that it isn't evident from the compilations circulating out there. To me, Ritchie looks like a bigger, faster and better version of Virtanen, but has some of the same question marks.

I think the thing we should really be looking at for this pick is upside. We should take someone with a high upside.

This is why I am against picking Virtanen as I think he will be a solid NHLer, but he doesn't have the upside of some of the others. Ritchie's upside is in question, I think he's got the skills to be a 40+ point second liner, perhaps more, some people think he has the skill to be a 1st liner. If our scouts feel he has the skill to be that (I see it in him more than any of the other PWF players in recent years) then I can understand going for him.,

Nylander & Ehlers are risky but really have high upside, hand like I said we should go for high upside which leans me in the in the direction of these two over the other 2 I mentioned first.

And the combination of wanting high upside but being scared of the risk leads me to Kapanen being the player we should select as he seems to me to be a low risk/high reward player.

Even though I'm still in the Ehlers camp, I have to say this is pretty convincing, particularly the low risk/high upside part.

How I have read 100+ pages of this thread to date

1/3rd We want the top 5 to drop

1/3rd we want Virtanen or Ritchie

1/3rd we want Nylander or Kapanen

And out of nowhere DEEERRRRR EHLERS EHLERS EHLERS EHLERS DEERRRRRRRRRR from S N Y P E R S and his sewed on mittens just to throw the conversation off....

Kapanen has some disturbing hands, I see the same thing in Ritchie's game cutting to the open ice as well as how he protects the puck so well when he drives the net.

I houldn't make Kapanen sound so much worse than 7th overall but Ritchie has generational potential.

Generational potential?

Lol.

And out of nowhere DEEERRRRR EHLERS EHLERS EHLERS EHLERS DEERRRRRRRRRR from S N Y P E R S and his sewed on mittens just to throw the conversation off....

woooo for the topfivetodrop camp

Generational potential?

Lol.

In all honesty I can see the "quote" IF he pans out having moderate truth

He is such a huge kid that his acceleration is almost freakish for his size. Not the end all be all of top speed but his close in work with his hands, also very very impressive. If he could put it all together....

Couple that with his willingness to stick up for team mates and one has to think that if we stick this kid in the minors and 2 full seasons in the AHL while working with Gary Roberts for conditioning his potential upside of 70+ points (55 average) in a top 6 role would cause so much havoc for opposing lines if coupled with say Grenier, Kassian, Matthias or Lain.

I guess Datsyuk has never won a puck battle in his life due to his size then....

Merci, just because there is a prospect you don't like that doesn't mean you make up something completely and utterly false about them. Got it?

Merci.

I love how ppl trot out the biggest superstar name to prove their point.

Why dont you use Pavel Brendl or Patrick Stefan or chistov or Zhamnov or Weinhandl or Tukonen or Olesz or Nilsson most recently Filatov, Paajarvi, Larsson, Josefsen?

You lost all your credibility in that one post.

^ I believe Burke will roll the dice on Ritchie based on the above.

1. Florida - Ekblad

2. Buffalo - Reinhart

3. Edmonton - Bennett

4. Calgary - Ritchie

5. NYI - Draisaitl

6. Vancouver - Dal Colle

7. Carolina - Kapanen

8. Toronto - Ehlers

9. Winnipeg - Nylander

10. Anaheim - Virtanen

11. Nashville - Perlini

12. Phoenix - Tuch

13. Washington - McCann

Mother of God, Anaheim's going to get yet another great, tough forward to add to their lineup. But do you pick Virtanen over Dal Colle? I think Linden might, from what he's been saying. Or we could pick up Dal Colle this year and go next year for a game-breaker type. Makes sense. But we'll see.

Canucks could end up tanking this season for a left-shooting two-way player that we have a lot of already. Virtanen's speed gives him a bit of an NHL-transferable upside, imho.

I think we should all be in agreement that if the Canucks don't pick a top five player (if one drops) then they made a huge mistake.

Archived