The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Cool article on Brendan Lemieux. Don't know if he'll still be around at our second pick but man id love to add him to the prospect pool. Or If we get a late first in a draft day deal i really hope we take him. Game models after his dad and pops won 4 cups lol even if he busts i wont hold it against gillis one bit haha

from the calgary sun sometime in january

No way does he get past Colorado in the first round.

Lemieux-MacKinnon-O'Reilly

nice future line

Nowww...if we can manage to get a pick just before Colorado, could dangle it to them. Either way, Lemieux is going to be THAT gem of the draft. ..mark my words

No way does he get past Colorado in the first round.

Lemieux-MacKinnon-O'Reilly

nice future line

Nowww...if we can manage to get a pick just before Colorado, could dangle it to them. Either way, Lemieux is going to be THAT gem of the draft. ..mark my words

I wouldn't really say he's a lock to be picked by them. Jones had major Denver roots and was passed over. They'll go with the player they think best fits their vision and future. they're also pretty weak on the right side when it comes to quality future wingers.

I would also like to add that this is my favourite thread

Just good vibes all around :D

So you're not the only one? LOL.

I feel like a nerd at times when I keep talking to my buddies about these prospects.

But seriously, we have a chance at Ehlers, Ritchie, Nylander, Virtanen, Pastrnak, Kapanen, Perlini and Fleury. How could you NOT be excited.

I'll be of legal drinking age when the draft is on, and let me tell you something, I'll be sloshed and putting money down before each team goes up to the podium.

It really is the most wonderful time of the year.

So you're not the only one? LOL.

I feel like a nerd at times when I keep talking to my buddies about these prospects.

But seriously, we have a chance at Ehlers, Ritchie, Nylander, Virtanen, Pastrnak, Kapanen, Perlini and Fleury. How could you NOT be excited.

I'll be of legal drinking age when the draft is on, and let me tell you something, I'll be sloshed and putting money down before each team goes up to the podium.

It really is the most wonderful time of the year.

I always like a good jack and coke during a canucks game, cheers to you sir.

I would be excited if we traded Kesler for a young centerman and a late first so that we could take Lemieux

I'd take Fleury with if they get a young forward in a trade

Just a question. Is Lemieux really first round good, or is he just magnified x10 because people are name gaga?

it is tough to tell on these boards

I think he is a safe pick prob would top out as a 2nd line forward who can play 1st PK and shutdown the other team

I Hope we draft him. I agree it is a risky pick but in a somewhat weak draft I consider Nylander to have the highest potential and he is the only one I can see as a future firstliner. We have a bunch of two-way players coming up so I say take the risk.

Too. Many. Options......

For example, it's so hard for me to say who I would want between Ehlers and Ritchie.

I always like a good jack and coke during a canucks game, cheers to you sir.

I would be excited if we traded Kesler for a young centerman and a late first so that we could take Lemieux

I'd take Fleury with if they get a young forward in a trade

Kraken Rum for me. And a case of Keith's will do ;)

Kesler being traded at the draft is definitely not too far fetched. Ex. If he was traded to Detroit for their first rounder as part of a package, I would explode if they drafted Pastrnak with it. Tuch, Honka or Kempe would be awesome too.

edit: spelling

Reinhart, Ekblad, Bennett, Dal Colle, Draisaitl, Ritchie, Ehlers, Nylander.

I doubt Perlini gets taken before any of these guys.

At the rate we're going we'll be picking 6th or 7th.

I'd be extremely happy if a team picking before us is very high on Fleury, so that there's a bigger chance that one of Ehlers or Ritchie is still available when we pick. I'm calling 8th. Of course I'd prefer 6 or 7, but the only teams I really see passing us in the standings are Ottawa, and maybe one of Winnipeg or Carolina.

Though, we do have a tough schedule ahead. It's just my guess.

I'd be extremely happy if a team picking before us is very high on Fleury, so that there's a bigger chance that one of Ehlers or Ritchie is still available when we pick. I'm calling 8th. Of course I'd prefer 6 or 7, but the only teams I really see passing us in the standings are Ottawa, and maybe one of Winnipeg or Carolina.

Though, we do have a tough schedule ahead. It's just my guess.

Ottawa is bound to overtake the Canucks. There is no tanking for them.

Winnipeg has been playing quite well recently and I see them overtaking us.

Carolina just beat Pittsburgh and have a solid shot at overtaking us.

Barry Trotz is going to make sure Nashville wins because there have been rumours of him being fired in the near future.

If all those teams win their games in hand then the Canucks would have the 6th overall spot and that is much much better than the 8th or 9th overall spot. The chance to get one of the main five would be amazing. Just need one team (cough Calgary cough) to pick someone that isn't one of those five (I could see them going for Ritchie or possibly Fleury as the defense in this draft is incredibly weak and they need defensemen).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0vK3uRyWpk

I think you'll all want to check this out.

Kapanen didn't get to play in the WJC due to injury, but he's got some serious talent. He's average size (6'0 185 lbs.), and also has a rounded out two-way game. Sami has taught him well, but this is just ridiculous.

Dishes a big hit before the goal too. Wow.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/kasperi-kapanen--sami-s-son--scores-amazing-between-the-legs-ot-goal--video-152024670.html

Barry Trotz is going to make sure Nashville wins because there have been rumours of him being fired in the near future.

If all those teams win their games in hand then the Canucks would have the 6th overall spot and that is much much better than the 8th or 9th overall spot. The chance to get one of the main five would be amazing. Just need one team (cough Calgary cough) to pick someone that isn't one of those five (I could see them going for Ritchie or possibly Fleury as the defense in this draft is incredibly weak and they need defensemen).

So, who do you have as your top five?

(I'm guessing Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennet, Dal Colle, Draisaitl?)

And what order for your top five?

What order do you think 6 to 10 is?

Me, I'm hoping we get a high pick that wins the lottery then Ekblad or Reinhart (really liked what I saw at the World Jrs.)

Barring that, we should be 6 to 10 and I don't know the players well enough.

I'm thinking that if we're closer to 10, and there are so few D in the list, that Fleury would make a good pick.

If we're closer to 6, maybe Ritchie?

If Trotz IS fired....I would burn down the city to get him on our bench, that guy would have multiple rings if ONLY Preds ownership would spend and get him some bloody offense or if Poile was a better judge of UFA's

So, who do you have as your top five?

(I'm guessing Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennet, Dal Colle, Draisaitl?)

And what order for your top five?

What order do you think 6 to 10 is?

Me, I'm hoping we get a high pick that wins the lottery then Ekblad or Reinhart (really liked what I saw at the World Jrs.)

Barring that, we should be 6 to 10 and I don't know the players well enough.

I'm thinking that if we're closer to 10, and there are so few D in the list, that Fleury would make a good pick.

If we're closer to 6, maybe Ritchie?

My order for the top five is:

Buffalo picks Reinhart.

Edmonton picks Ekblad.

Florida picks Bennett.

Calgary picks Dal Colle.

New York picks Draisaitl.

You would have to hope a team like Calgary or New York wants a defenseman or values a player in the 6-10 range more. For the 6-10 picks, I have no idea what order they go but the players will probably be:

Perlini

Ehlers

Ritchie

Virtanen

Fleury

I put Fleury in the 6-10 range because he's the second best defenseman in the draft and I'm sure a team will want him before forwards like McCann or Nylander.

Just a question. Is Lemieux really first round good, or is he just magnified x10 because people are name gaga?

I would say it's probably magnified it a bit. I see him more as a cassels type pick. Second rate talent with intangibles to succeed.. The name thing probably gives him more of a look. More so because his dad played a solid role in 4 Stanley cups. Add to that his game is looking like it models straight after his dad.

The way I break it down is if we have a late first in a deal why not take him even if there is more skilled players. You still need these types of players to win cups. He plays the game like poppa bear so you gotta think the weekly phone convo advice is going to pay off more than say Domi talkin to dad.. Because of the bloodlines I'd expect some catering in his development. Everyone knows what Claude did in the league so you know he'll be given absolutely every opportunity to try and become the same player.

If Trotz IS fired....I would burn down the city to get him on our bench, that guy would have multiple rings if ONLY Preds ownership would spend and get him some bloody offense or if Poile was a better judge of UFA's

It's very unlikely but a slight possibility.

My order for the top five is:

Buffalo picks Reinhart.

Edmonton picks Ekblad.

Florida picks Bennett.

Calgary picks Dal Colle.

New York picks Draisaitl.

You would have to hope a team like Calgary or New York wants a defenseman or values a player in the 6-10 range more. For the 6-10 picks, I have no idea what order they go but the players will probably be:

Perlini

Ehlers

Ritchie

Virtanen

Fleury

I put Fleury in the 6-10 range because he's the second best defenseman in the draft and I'm sure a team will want him before forwards like McCann or Nylander.

I think Florida takes dal colle. They're loaded with top end young centres.

Same with buffalo, I can't see them passing on ekblad just because they have Tyler Myers. They have good young centres as well.

One thing I'm wondering, if buffalo takes ekblad, any chance Edmonton goes off the board for Fluery? He's been ranked 6th a few times this year. I'm betting Edmonton has scouted the crap outta him all year because if their major need back there.. They're loaded with talent up front, it wouldn't shock me to see them look past BPA to take a guy like Fluery.

I think Florida takes dal colle. They're loaded with top end young centres.

Same with buffalo, I can't see them passing on ekblad just because they have Tyler Myers. They have good young centres as well.

One thing I'm wondering, if buffalo takes ekblad, any chance Edmonton goes off the board for Fluery? He's been ranked 6th a few times this year. I'm betting Edmonton has scouted the crap outta him all year because if their major need back there.. They're loaded with talent up front, it wouldn't shock me to see them look past BPA to take a guy like Fluery.

Buffalo has a beastly future defense core but no player who will be a #1 center. Hodgson is a #2 center and so is Girgensons.

If Edmonton wants Fleury I assume they'll trade down to get him. I don't see the point of wasting a second overall on him (he is not worth it at that position).

Archived