The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] "Teams eyeing down Kesler & Edler" - Ownership prevented Kesler trade

Late first round pick in a weak draft equals no good prospect. Sutter is a 25 year old center who has reached his max as a third line center (IMO) and we have two of that type of player in Horvat and Gaunce. Bennett is the only good piece in that deal and Despres doesn't add enough value. If the Canucks are dealing with Pittsburgh you need at least Bennett and Pouliot or Maatta in a deal.

Late pick = no good prospect? Best we should trade all of our picks from 2-7 then, right? Why draft at all after the top 15? Because that's an asinine suggestion.

Sutter is not a scrub despite what people say here. He's a very useful player. We have Gaunce and Horvat who have never played a game in the AHL let alone the NHL, and they may both need time on wing before they are handed a centre ice position. Sutter, signed to a 4 year deal, would bridge a gap for us and be a possible trading piece in 2 years when Horvat and Gaunce could challenge for top 6 roles. If they do it sooner then we will be happy to have a guy like Sutter on the 3rd.

Despres is not a throw in. He's a top D prospect coming out of the AHL. He's a better prospect than Corrado by a long shot as far as top end potential. I like Pouliot a lot too and would prefer him if we can swing it but Despres can play too at least becoming a solid top 4 minimum.

Strike Maatta off of your list because that isn't happening. Best not to even entertain the thought. It doesn't make sense from Pittsburgh's perspective.

Those 4 are actually all good pieces.

I still say he should deal Kesler at the draft. Every team is a playoff contender (or trying to be) at the draft. Way more options. Just wait a few more months MG... Kesler is still locked up for 2 years after this year is out,

Gillis needs to shut down Shero, ASAP. He's CLEARLY leaking crap like "this is our offer (it's crappy)" - so other teams don't offer better. And then "We're Keslers #1 choice". It's all strategy to get the upper hand, clearly, and he's doing it publicly. Gillis needs to shut him out if he doesn't play behind closed doors.

This is ridiculous. It's only been like 2 days and Pitts is trying to dictate the market already. Enough. He's not Nonis or Burke here. Time to shut him out of discussions if he doesn't keep his trap shut.

I suspect the conspicuously-timed "leak" about Kes requesting a trade at the start of the year was Shero's doing as well. Guy tries to devalue Kes then swoop in with peanuts. Pretty blatant for anyone with half a brain but Shero expects the public to do his work for him. I think he underestimates how well the Canucks can deal with media spin. The Nucks have been smeared by the media for the last two years at least, they're used to it. Kes' reply was perfect.

Late pick = no good prospect? Best we should trade all of our picks from 2-7 then, right? Why draft at all after the top 15? Because that's an asinine suggestion.

Sutter is not a scrub despite what people say here. He's a very useful player. We have Gaunce and Horvat who have never played a game in the AHL let alone the NHL, and they may both need time on wing before they are handed a centre ice position. Sutter, signed to a 4 year deal, would bridge a gap for us and be a possible trading piece in 2 years when Horvat and Gaunce could challenge for top 6 roles. If they do it sooner then we will be happy to have a guy like Sutter on the 3rd.

Despres is not a throw in. He's a top D prospect coming out of the AHL. He's a better prospect than Corrado by a long shot as far as top end potential. I like Pouliot a lot too and would prefer him if we can swing it but Despres can play too at least becoming a solid top 4 minimum.

Strike Maatta off of your list because that isn't happening. Best not to even entertain the thought. It doesn't make sense from Pittsburgh's perspective.

On the contrary, Kesler commands at least one blue chip prospect. If MG doesn't get a top blue chip coming back, then he is not doing his job. These fringe 3rd line players are easy to get, Kesler isn't.

Gillis needs to shut down Shero, ASAP. He's CLEARLY leaking crap like "this is our offer (it's crappy)" - so other teams don't offer better. And then "We're Keslers #1 choice". It's all strategy to get the upper hand, clearly, and he's doing it publicly. Gillis needs to shut him out if he doesn't play behind closed doors.

This is ridiculous. It's only been like 2 days and Pitts is trying to dictate the market already. Enough. He's not Nonis or Burke here. Time to shut him out of discussions if he doesn't keep his trap shut.

Agreed. I don't even really like their best trade pieces, let alone the crap that's been leaking.

I'd leak a report saying the Canucks are turning their attention to Detroit, Philly & Columbus

Look at the Canucks track record for first rounders. Between 2000 and 2010, only first rounders from 2003, 2004 became quality players for the Canucks. You could argue Jordan Schroeder should be on my list.

On the contrary, Kesler commands at least one blue chip prospect. If MG doesn't get a top blue chip coming back, then he is not doing his job. These fringe 3rd line players are easy to get, Kesler isn't.

IMHO Despres and Bennett are bluechip prospects as is Pouliot.

That's not the type of return you'd expect for a perennial Selke centre with 30-40g 60-75pt offensive production. There are maybe 5-7 players in the entire world that bring the same toolbox to the table:

1. Toews

2. Bergeron

3. Datsyuk

4. Zetterberg

5. Kopitar

6. Backes

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=9539&tab=scr

Sounds a lot like Kesler.

*Drool* Also sounds like someone Torts would give his last name to. Perhaps he's a target?

Agreed. I don't even really like their best trade pieces, let alone the crap that's been leaking.

I'd leak a report saying the Canucks are turning their attention to Detroit, Philly & Columbus

Absolutely. It's only been like 3 days and it's already turned into Luongo saga_v2 with teams trying to dictate the market.

In 4 hrs:

Pitts leaks - here's our crappy offer for Kes so other teams don't offer better and shut us out

1 hr later, Van leaks via KcKenzie - We'll keep keep Kes if we don't like the packages offered.

2 hrs later, Pitts leaks "we're Kes's #1 choice" so other teams please refrain from joining the bidding war.

Ree-dic. These type of strategies can work for a shrewd guy like Shero (has in past). Gillis has to shut it down now. As you said, leak Van's turning their attn to other teams or threaten to pull out of talks completely with Pitts if he doesn't shut it down. Pitts doesn't have the best assets compared to Philly/CBJ etc.

Look at the Canucks track record for first rounders. Between 2000 and 2010, only first rounders from 2003, 2004 became quality players for the Canucks. You could argue Jordan Schroeder should be on my list.

I'd say the only bad drafts for 1st picks were 2000 and 2007. Most others became quality nhlers, are still developing, or in Bourdon's case something tragic happened. Trading the players we drafted doesn't make are picks bad.

Hodgson...

:bigblush:

I'd say the only bad drafts for 1st picks were 2000 and 2007. Most others became quality nhlers, are still developing, or in Bourdon's case something tragic happened

If the Canucks were to take a first rounder from Pittsburgh (which I hope they do, as long as it comes with quality players) they should try and get the 2015 first rounder. Then if the Canucks do tank and come bottom 5, if they don't win the lottery they can bundle first rounders to get the first overall and draft McDavid.

I don't need to look at it. I'm fully aware of it.

I also know that Ron Delorme is not the man in charge of the draft anymore which is why our picks have gotten better throughout all rounds in the last two years.

I've been watching this team for a long time and I'm more confident in our ability to make good draft picks now than I have been in 15 years.

There will be several good players left in the 25-30 range in this draft.

IMHO Despres and Bennett are bluechip prospects as is Pouliot.

Pouliot is the only one I might consider a true blue chip, Despres seems like a good likeable team guy. But these are all dmen, which we have a ton of, the other problem, Pouliot is not on that list.

I think Chicago is going to be the wild card in all of this. They have won two Stanley Cups without a true 2C who can play tough competition and put up points. The possibility of having a 1-2 punch of Toews-Kesler has to be sooooo appealing to Scotty Bowman.

What can Chicago offer in terms of a blue chip?

Archived