The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] "Teams eyeing down Kesler & Edler" - Ownership prevented Kesler trade

Edit:

Per reports by SNET, TEAM1040, and other numerous reliable sources.

@TEAM1040:

RT @RobRossi_Trib: #pens felt good about Kesler Tuesday. Started Wednesday not confident that #Canucks ownership would let the trade happen.

@RobRossi_Trib:

Told pens felt had substantial offer to Canucks. Feel ownership nixed plans for trade that would have sent Kesler to Pit

@TEAM1040:

RT @DarrenDreger: Told it was a feeding frenzy for Kesler. A few great offers made. At one point last week as many as 6 teams legit in play.

...what a hot mess. Teams picked up the price big time and MG had offers but greedy owners denied it to happen. Glad to know Aquilini is more concerned about money and revenue than creating a better teams. Lu situation 2.0...wow

For those of you blaming and pointing the finger at MG, you have the wrong person(s). The owners are calling the shots and dictating what can be done and what can't. MG is simply a puppet and can't do what's best for the team due to greedy owners!

OP:

Bob Mckenzie via Insider Trading. Says now that Olympic trade freeze has been lifted, numerous teams are looking at Kes and Edler. Sedin's are only untouchables on the roster and teams want to see if those 2 can be had.

...highly, highly doubt Kesler is traded since MG just said he wants to get a player for him and as for Edler, there is a ton of interest still. Even Mckenzie says he's still a top dman and that's how many teams see him as well as MG; just needs a change of scenario.

I predict Kesler gets a legit linemate to play with and it'll be with the return of trading away Edler. When you give away someone with the talent of Edler, you best get a proven NHLer as the basis of the deal rather than picks/prospects unless if they are top notch prospects.

Bob Mckenzie via Insider Trading. Says now that Olympic trade freeze has been lifted, numerous teams are looking at Kes and Edler. Sedin's are only untouchables on the roster and teams want to see if those 2 can be had.

...highly, highly doubt Kesler is traded since MG just said he wants to get a player for him and as for Edler, there is a ton of interest still. Even Mckenzie says he's still a top dman and that's how many teams see him as well as MG; just needs a change if scenario.

I predict Kesler gets a legit linemate to play with and it'll be with the return of trading away Edler. When you give away someone with the talent of Edler, you best get a proven NHLer as the basis of the deal rather than picks/prospects unless if they are top notch prospects.

No thanks Edler was stud in the Olympics and seems to getting his stride back. People need to understand the guy has been battling an injured back for awhile now. Get rid of the trash first!

No thanks Edler was stud in the Olympics and seems to getting his stride back. People need to understand the guy has been battling an injured back for awhile now. Get rid of the trash first!

Agree he was a stud in the Olympics..he was 1st pair with Karlsson for crying outloud but I think it'd be smart to trade him. Condition being we get a sufficient enough return. Especially since our D is our strong point and offense is weak, would give us the luxury to trade him for Kesler's potential linemate. I'd do Edler for Kesler's linemate + a young solid dman or a young prospect as the basis.

If you trade Kesler MG, I'm done....

Pretty much but again, really really doubt Kes is traded AT LEAST this year. He's the heart and soul player of the team and a fan fav (lots of revenue). If he was, we'd get a bucket full of gems. Kesler traded = we get his weight in gold back in return.

Here's a smart idea MG, instead of trading Kesler, trade that plug Edler for a top 6 player for Kesler.

If other teams legit think Edler is a #2 D man, trade him before they actually watch him play.

It's not so bad assuming you get a good return. It sucks at first but then the new players come in and show what they can do and you feel better about it.

At least that's how I feel every other year when Holmgren trades my teams core players.

Here's a smart idea MG, instead of trading Kesler, trade that plug Edler for a top 6 player for Kesler.

If other teams legit think Edler is a #2 D man, trade him before they actually watch him play.

You call him a plug but at the same time you think he can get us a top-6 forward?

And yeah... that's logical... personnel of a multi-million dollar business would never actually WATCH A GUY PLAY if they intend on trading for him, especially if he's a top-2/4 d-man...

If you want to count to potato Joffery, don't get stuck at firetruck.

Yup. Teams' GM's usually want your good players who aren't well on the slide.

GM's usally keep those guys around too though.

The problem with trading Edler is he's just 27 and he won't be replaced unless Stanton, a so-so prospect, proves to be more reliable/durable. Meanwhile, Hamhuis is a UFA after 2 seasons and our legit defensive prospects, Tanev and Corrado, are righties. (Not sure if we're officially starting to miss K-Con at this point, but it's close. He hasn't done enough in Dallas yet.)

If the Olympics proved anything, it's that Edler is a good player and we should probably keep him. Unless some team hands us a better player in return. Doubtful.

Meanwhile, Kesler's injured again, so that will take him off the trade market for this deadline. A team like ours should never in a million years consider trading him, but i've seen stupider crap be done.

If Edler and Kesler are dealt, then it's confirmed that the players have lost confidence in the franchise. So much for our rise to prominence.

Gotta give up talent to get talent. Trash won't get you anything

You call him a plug but at the same time you think he can get us a top-6 forward?

And yeah... that's logical... personnel of a multi-million dollar business would never actually WATCH A GUY PLAY if they intend on trading for him, especially if he's a top-2/4 d-man...

If you want to count to potato Joffery, don't get stuck at firetruck.

Are you actually serious? You clearly didn't read my post. I said IF other teams think he is a #2 then they would be willing to give up a forward for edler.

Yup. Teams' GM's usually want your good players who aren't well on the slide.

GM's usally keep those guys around too though.

The problem with trading Edler is he's just 27 and he won't be replaced unless Stanton, a so-so prospect, proves to be more reliable/durable. Meanwhile, Hamhuis is a UFA after 2 seasons and our legit defensive prospects, Tanev and Corrado, are righties. (Not sure if we're officially starting to miss K-Con at this point, but it's close. He hasn't done enough in Dallas yet.)

If the Olympics proved anything, it's that Edler is a good player and we should probably keep him. Unless some team hands us a better player in return. Doubtful.

Meanwhile, Kesler's injured again, so that will take him off the trade market for this deadline. A team like ours should never in a million years consider trading him, but i've seen stupider crap be done.

If Edler and Kesler are dealt, then it's confirmed that the players have lost confidence in the franchise. So much for our rise to prominence.

I know lol Gillis would have to eat his words if he did that, and I hope K-Con doesn't turn out too well, we got lucky with the Oberg trade. I remember when the franchise was touting those two.

Gotta give up talent to get talent. Trash won't get you anything
I always snicker when we as fans and our glorious media rip Edler left right and center and then go on to casually speculate that he'll get us a decent scorer in return.

Don't kid yourself. Opponent GM's are circling the Canuck carcass, anticipating that Gillis will face pressure to make panic moves. This means the return will be trash.

Meanwhile, as a 'seller' team, we have nothing to sell. UFA Santo is out and we'll need Diaz to be a plug.

A pitiful decline sure is pitiful.

Edler would probably (according to certain variables) be down to play with Karlsson,

If we could acquire Zibanejad in a package of some sort for Edler, gaaaaaaaaaaaaaah :rolleyes:

That is why I have Ottawa in as a top contender to pick him up...Both sides saw how that worked and I could see a deal with us getting either Zib or Turris

Archived