The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

LUONGO TRADED to Florida - Official Discussion Thread

-SN-

I see the positive in that we weren't like those other Canadian teams that took forvever to decide they wanted to rebuild after their finals loss.

Calgary- went to the finals in 03/04 began rebuilding in 12/13 8 full seasons

Edmonton- went to the finals in 05/06 began rebuilding in 10/11 5 full seasons (Oilers owner said rebuild began when hall was drafted)

Ottawa- went to the finals in 06/07 began rebuilding in 12/13 4 full seasons

Vancouver- went to the finals in 10/11 began rebuilding in 13/14 2 full seasons

The sooner we can accept we need to change the better it is and I think the Gillis is making a smart move to retool and trade for promise players rather than full out rebuild and trade for picks since it is very risky.

Our next generation of players includes

Horvat

Kassian

Shinkaruk

Maithhas

Tanev

Corrado

Stanton

Markstrom

Lack

Hutton

McNally

Archibald

Lain

Jensen

Gaunce

But we need more first liner and top players and that is why it is a good idea to start now. But if Gillis trades for a pick........... I will be disappointed.

Devastated. The end of an era. Speechless. Wish he could have stayed. Biggest mistake of this franchise. Can't believe it.

Exactly how I'm feeling.

I know that it's a business and this stuff has to go down to make progress, but it feels like sometimes this team takes one step forward, three back.

Shawn's not a UFA until the end of next season.

:picard::shock: That knowledge just changed everything.So we just traded Lu for a AHL goalie? I thought Shawn was the center piece in this deal.........

I have now joined the fire Gillis camp since Burke said he is not staying on as flames GM we also don't need to spend time looking for a replacement.

So as all you know, we recently acquired Jacob Markstrom. This means that we now have 3 Swedes in net :

- Eddie Lack

- Jacob Markstrom

- Joacim Eriksson

With 3 Super Swede goalies in our system now, who do you think gets :

- The Starter

- The Backup

- The AHLer

I believe it will be something like :

Lack

Markstrom

Eriksson

Or do you think we should try to get someone in FA for a more veteran presence in net? I think we're pretty set up right now.

I think Markstrom will thrive with the new scenery and goaltending coach. Markstrom is simply to talented to turn into a bust and his size will be well complimented by our goaltending coach's style of training.

Honestly, I see another goalie debate coming up within 2 years. Markstrom vs Lack.

I still think Gillis won the trade and is breathing a giant sigh of relief right now. Last year you couldn't get Markstrom for Luongo straight up. Today he got Markstrom and one hell of a 3rd line centre who seems very excited to be here.

I think Matthias opens the doors for trading Richardson, Gaunce and maybe even Matthias himself before deadline.

All that being said, Gillis should still be fired.

I couldn't help but watch the video of MG discussing today's events, even though I already knew what I was going to hear..

Suddenly they are going in a new direction and they are excited about their upcoming players. All sounds well and good, but man this guy really should go into politics.. he is every bit as slimy and dishonorable in my opinion.

I really used to believe that MG had it together and knew what he was doing, but its become pretty obvious to me that he's been in over his head with this organization and much of the credit toward our team's makeup should rightfully go to Nonis for assembling some of the core pieces.

Although MG has made some decent moves, there has been more questions than answers during his tenure, and I am starting to think the Canucks will be better without him running things, for a whole bunch of reasons.

As much as I dislike GMMG and would like to see him canned ASAP, I feel with the circumstances around Luongo the past two seasons that he got a great return for Luongo. Last year we couldn't get 2 2nd rounders for Luongo and now we get an amazing goalie prospect with so much potential and an a great 3rd line grinder centreman which gives us the ability to move Richardson, Gaunce or another bottom 6 forward or prospect.

If Markstrom pans out the way he is scouted to, we robbed Florida

I don't care what anyone says, but I'm upset as F....I hate the way everything turned out, from the management praising him to completely flipping a 360 and treating him like crap..it was a fun ride, sad it ended this way.

Thomas' comments:

“It looked like (Florida genera manager Dale Tallon) went kicking some tires and found one that needed to be pumped,” Thomas joked. “It’ll be interesting. I don’t know how things are going to work out assuming I stay in Florida, it will be interesting. I’m looking forward to it. It’s going to be fun.”

Luongo's comments:

Strombone@strombone1 6h

And on another note me and Tiny Tim are gonna rip it up the rest of the year!!!!!!! #dreamteam

Expand

Ok I did not mean to express it in that manner but lets look ay some deals after the fact;

Grabner out

Kassian In

Hodgson out

Booth in

Alberts In

Mitchell out

Erhoff out

Raymond out

Loungo out

Schneider out

treat Malhotra and Loungo with no class

this is all "after the fact evaluation"

enough said

Yes please don't say any more. It is obvious you are a learned hockey man but what you have to say has little if and significance. I will however surrender to your right to have an opinion as limited in credibility as it appears to be.

Archived