The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Zack Attack!

TheRussianRocket.

Calling CoHo a great player really diminishes the word 'great'. No part of his game can be categorized as great in today's NHL. He has great skills, yes, but not a great player. For a one-dimensional player like CoHo, he better put up 1ppg to even be considered as great to negate the downside of his game. 50-pts from him, no way to call him great.

The thing is any players skill is always enhance or otherwise by the quality of his team mates. In "most" cases two players with the same skill can be defined as good, or great depending on the skills of his team. I have no problem with you taking issue with the term "great" as it really doesn't mean anything.

so hodgson plays on the canucks third line and his numbers are inflated because he's playing "sheltered minutes". then he plays in buffalo's top 6 and his numbers are inflated because he's getting "premium ice time".

which one is it, folks, because it can't be both.

You are making up a false argument to make a point.

Only his +/- could be inflated by being on the 3rd line and not getting a ton or premium minutes... maybe his point per minute played.

He got lots of good quality minutes in Vancouver... he played on the 2nd unit PP often. He got tons of offensive zone starts.

The comparison was not Hodgson in Vancouver to Hodgson in Buffalo... it was Hodgson to Kassian.

Kassian is scoring more 5 on 5... though I don't suspect that will always be the case. He also brings you a physical element which Hodgson does not.

The issue is who made the best fit for our team. We had a top 6 that wasn't exactly brimming with physicality. Hodgson wasn't going to improve that, and only make it worse. He was stuck behind two much better centres and at the time we had the best 3rd line centre in the game in Malhotra.

Hodgson was expendable... he was expended.

Kassian could turn out to be a 2nd line player that every team would drool over. Jury is still out.

The thing is any players skill is always enhance or otherwise by the quality of his team mates. In "most" cases two players with the same skill can be defined as good, or great depending on the skills of his team. I have no problem with you taking issue with the term "great" as it really doesn't mean anything.

While I hold a different point of view, your opinion is fair enough. To me, skill set is separate from performance on ice. Skill set is relatively constant as it is the innate capability of a certain player. Two players of the same skill set can perform very differently on two different teams, no doubt about it. But this is performance, it does not change their skill set.

I do think tagging a player great is an important aspect, at least for me but it comes down to a different definition of 'greatness' for everyone.

so hodgson plays on the canucks third line and his numbers are inflated because he's playing "sheltered minutes". then he plays in buffalo's top 6 and his numbers are inflated because he's getting "premium ice time".

which one is it, folks, because it can't be both.

As far as his numbers go, he is the one who puts the puck in the net or assists in the process...he earns his points so I wouldn't say his numbers are inflated.

But as far as the "sheltered minutes" vs. "premium ice time", it is not even debatable that Hodgson is being given top-line minutes (he is 3rd on BUF in TOI for FWDs right now). His point production has not improved tremendously since he left the Canucks (especially after he no longer had the likes of Vanek flanking him), while getting a lot more ice time and 1st unit PP. On top of this, with the premium ice and no more sheltering, his +/- is a quite abysmal -24.

But it's ok, he is still youngish. BUF is a bad team and they basically unloaded all their top players the past couple of years and Hodgson is going to have to learn as it is.

People can have whatever opinions about him and yeah he has his weaknesses as a player he needs to work on, some glaring, but nobody in their right mind can deny his talent and skill.

EDIT: and for what it's worth I would take Kassian over him in the long-haul.

Unless I'm forgetting someones post, I don't think anybody said that the majority of people thought it was a bad trade. Although I do only quickly skim some posts when I'm catching up to a conversation thread. For quite some time after it happened a whole heck of a lot of people did complain loudly, but fortunately it's slowed down to a trickle.

Nevermind Merci SabresFan1. The crybabying over the Hodgson trade on these boards was in fact deafening at the time, and actually increased in volume for a considerable time afterwards. Your skimming more accurately represents what took place here than Merci's bold and misinformed attempts to correct you. It's only quite recently that the endless complaining about the deal subsided, as you point out - those of us who like the trade might be a majority at this point, but those of us who liked it at the time, defended it, and considered it a good move in the year or so following the deal - it would be a far stretch to call a majority.

sorry, just read back a few posts and see someone post that the majority of canucks fans favour the Kassian trade. My reply to that is HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHANAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA thats a definite thumbs down from me. When we got a guy near 10 games in suspension and is quite useless offensively and happens to get a miracle night all the snapshot movie fanatics start salivating. You yokels gotta put your squirrel down and start eating something with 100% more common sense. Bunch of tools!

sorry, just read back a few posts and see someone post that the majority of canucks fans favour the Kassian trade. My reply to that is HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHANAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA thats a definite thumbs down from me. When we got a guy near 10 games in suspension and is quite useless offensively and happens to get a miracle night all the snapshot movie fanatics start salivating. You yokels gotta put your squirrel down and start eating something with 100% more common sense. Bunch of tools!

Your HAHAHAHAHA argument is so well-thought-out and backed up by such great statistical analyses and observation of the player in the game. I just can't argue with that.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=troll+pictures&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=M14yU_nqKaTH0QG314CYBA&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=657#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=6E4K4ia3lZhQgM%253A%3Btbe6IOMcMYfcDM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.wired.com%252Fimages_blogs%252Fthreatlevel%252F2012%252F03%252Fcopyright-troll.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.wired.com%252Fthreatlevel%252F2012%252F03%252Ftroll-forfeits-copyrights%252F%3B576%3B617

7548.png

Like seriously, the big galoot gets four points. who gives a flying $#%@, the canucks suck and will always suck with this cross eyed POS on the team. I think Gino Odjik had nights like that too but at least Gino isn't a complete rockhead like this Kassian everyone has got serious wood for. Kassian= Stojonov. I bet you stojonov had more jerseys with his name than Kassian the cross eyed, dancing bear.

Can you name me the last NHL player to get 4 primary assists in 1 game? Has Crosby even done it this year?

Obvious troll is obvious

Archived