The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

torrenting

euphoria/

honestly if i was you i would sell the house, change my name and flee the country.

Or... start using a proxy service. free might be ok but if you don't mind paying for a more reliable service i use privateinternetaccess they seem pretty firm on the 0 data retention and i have never had any down time from the servers. but either way there are dozens of these services out there just research a little before you give any of them your money.

also i have got two of these in the past 1st was like 6 years ago while with telus switched to shaw for about 5 years never once got anything like this, switched back to telus 6 months ago and within 3 months received a second letter. now use a proxy so ill see how that goes.

edit: also i don't understand how this can hold up in court if it ever comes down to it.. They would have to prove that other people not just them were able to download from your upload since i can not see how it is illegal to have a torrent seeded and only the copyright holder downloads it from you since they already own the rights to the movie? can someone clarify for me. is it illegal to have the information available even if no one else on the other end accesses the information , because isn't the copyright infringement based on the transfer of information between two parties?

So you are downloading illegally and you never knew it could lead to this? Interesting.

I've been expecting to get one myself for ages. Guess Shaw doesn't care.

I really didn't think they were that serious about this kind of thing.

And yes, Anchorman 2 really did blow.

a. if they can track you, its not a good idea to admit your guilt on a public forum...that part of your post i would edit...just to be safe and leave no obvious evidence of the violation....and dont mention it on social media either.

b. that letter amounts to a scare tactic and at this point you have little to worry about, but just ignore the email, and do not respond to either telus or the plaintiff.

c. heed the warning, and proceed with caution in the future.

d. loose lips, sink ships.

Has nothing to do with seeding vs downloading.

You seed at least a little when you DL.

Basically some torrents are tracked by the rights holder and if you touch those they might flag your ISP. Thing to know here is that thousands of people probably received this same notice.

When I lived in bc I got maybe...8 of those over the years before eventually using some privacy measures (as mentioned, a VPN etc).

Thing is I received letters one or two times on files I never touched... So still had the "open wifi" defense, though think that's been closed as a loop hole now.

Just be more careful.

Read torrent comments, make sure the file sizes look legit. Most important thing is make sure you know who put the file out there. I've got about 3 people I'll DL off of because I know what they put out is legit.

Don't just click the one with the most seeds.

I really didn't think they were that serious about this kind of thing.

They're not. Nothing will come of it. As said above, the 5000 dollar cap on lawsuits prevents any legal actions. Until that gets overturned we have nothing to worry about in Canada. It is just part of their admin duties to hand out letters when they get claims. ISPs don't have to tell them anything, at least the last time I read up on the whole 'must ISPs give up your info' issue. So we basically have two big roadblocks in our favour at the moment.

They're not. Nothing will come of it. As said above, the 5000 dollar cap on lawsuits prevents any legal actions. Until that gets overturned we have nothing to worry about in Canada. It is just part of their admin duties to hand out letters when they get claims. ISPs don't have to tell them anything, at least the last time I read up on the whole 'must ISPs give up your info' issue. So we basically have two big roadblocks in our favour at the moment.

Is that $5000 total or $5000 per file/episode?

Initially I thought it was per file but I just looked at the statute and it sounds like more a cap of $5000 total:

( B) in a sum of not less than $100 and not more than $5,000 that the court considers just, with respect to all infringements involved in the proceedings for all works or other subject-matter, if the infringements are for non-commercial purposes.

Here's also information on the Copyright Act in readable form:

http://copyright.ubc.ca/copyright-legislation/bill-c-11-the-copyright-modernization-act/

Archived