The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

28 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

So Barry Davis is no longer covering the jays. Arash Madani is the guy that he got pushed out for... awful move I think. Liked Barry and Hazel. Arash is annoying and Gibby said it best to arash last year "Don't you have some Tennis to cover".

that sucks...not an Arash fan...comes across as a pompous  fat guy  with no sense of humour...blech...Barry was cool...is Hazel gone too?

Edited by ShakyWalton
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

that sucks...not an Arash fan...comes across as a pompous old fat guy...blech...Barry was cool...is Hazel gone too?

Naw hazel is still there and that's how I feel about arash as well. He belongs in golf and tennis. Barry had fun with the team and I think they liked him. 

I'll never forgive Arash for leaving Biagini hanging on the hug....

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Naw hazel is still there and that's how I feel about arash as well. He belongs in golf and tennis. Barry had fun with the team and I think they liked him. 

I'll never forgive Arash for leaving Biagini hanging on the hug....

Favorite Barry Davis moment was when he was doing a feature during warmup and Bats "accidentally" plunked him from RF. Barry put a brave face on it, but he was obviously in pain.

Bats, of course, was his usual stone faced self, basically pretending that he hadn't done anything wrong and that Davis should "man up"...

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Favorite Barry Davis moment was when he was doing a feature during warmup and Bats "accidentally" plunked him from RF. Barry put a brave face on it, but he was obviously in pain.

Bats, of course, was his usual stone faced self, basically pretending that he hadn't done anything wrong and that Davis should "man up"...

Bautista is an asshole, but he's our asshole <3

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Xbox said:

I love Biagini! Still can't believe we got a good long reliever from Rule 5. This guy could pitch 5 innings out of the pen for us he's a beauty.

Interesting I just read if they want another starter he could become one, but they would send him down to triple A first to see how he does, but for now they're happy with him in the pen. The option is there though for sure.

Biagini could open 2017 as a starter in Triple-A 
http://www.thescore.com/news/1231559

On February 11, 2017 at 9:59 AM, Xbox said:

But the cost of our rotation is about 17M less than what AA would have built - and it was the top rotation in the AL. That's why Rogers hired Shapiro. I would have liked AA to work under Shapiro. My main issue with the old regime was Beeston.

Let's be perfectly honest here, Shapiro and Atkins got extremely lucky with the performance of their starting rotation last year. If the  rotation wasn't as good as it was, people like you would be complaining to management about letting Price walk, considering what they paid.

I said, once they acquired Price, it would be worthless to trade for him, if they wouldnt be able to re-sign him.

Edited by shiznak
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

Let's be perfectly honest here, Shapiro and Atkins got extremely lucky with the performance of their starting rotation last year. If the  rotation wasn't as good as it was, people like you would be complaining to management about letting Price walk, considering what they paid.

I said, once they acquired Price, it would be worthless to trade for him, if they wouldnt be able to re-sign him.

I was on team Price 100%. The dude is probably one of the most liked players in baseball, but once I saw the new rotation dominate and Price eventually rack up another L in the post season I started having more faith in new management. Any teams management should be called out on making a huge mistake so I sure would complain. I'm still pissed about trading Noah Syndergaard.

Paul Beeston admitted he wouldn't have budged on his 5 year rule in order to re-sign David Price. I really don't get why people like yourself loved Paul Beeston so much and blame Mark Shapiro for letting Price walk when it would have happened regardless.

Edited by Xbox
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Xbox said:

I was on team Price 100%. The dude is probably one of the most liked players in baseball, but once I saw the new rotation dominate and Price eventually rack up another L in the post season I started having more faith in new management. Any teams management should be called out on making a huge mistake so I sure would complain. I'm still pissed about trading Noah Syndergaard.

Paul Beeston admitted he wouldn't have budged on his 5 year rule in order to re-sign David Price. I really don't get why people like yourself loved Paul Beeston so much and blame Mark Shapiro for letting Price walk when it would have happened regardless.

The issue that I would have is that you gave up a top 20 prospect and another young pitcher that is pitching in the majors for half a season of David Price. I can only justify a move like that if you win a world series (see Chapman-Torres trade).

43 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

The issue that I would have is that you gave up a top 20 prospect and another young pitcher that is pitching in the majors for half a season of David Price. I can only justify a move like that if you win a world series (see Chapman-Torres trade).

Because we traded for Price we made the playoffs. Because we made the playoffs we have a real payroll now. I'd do the trade 100 times over again. Some fans don't think outside the box to how a trade benefited the franchise.

I'm somewhat jealous you guys have Chapman as he's my favourite non-jay. At least I can see him pitch on the regular.

Edited by Xbox
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

That's why I wanted him re-signed at about 25x5(which he may have taken, cuz Toronto was his #1 place apparently but wasn't even offered a dollar to stay)

Theb I would have flipped him this winter or next to re-coup some prospects. 

14 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

That's why I wanted him re-signed at about 25x5(which he may have taken, cuz Toronto was his #1 place apparently but wasn't even offered a dollar to stay)

Theb I would have flipped him this winter or next to re-coup some prospects. 

I highly doubt he would take that contract when Boston offers him 31Mx7. Toronto being his #1 choice is irrelevant at that point. What team did Edwin Encarnacion list as his favourite? He chased money that was potentially there and that was enough to say no.

26 minutes ago, Xbox said:

I highly doubt he would take that contract when Boston offers him 31Mx7. Toronto being his #1 choice is irrelevant at that point. What team did Edwin Encarnacion list as his favourite? He chased money that was potentially there and that was enough to say no.

Edwin was only allowed to feel out the market for 48 hours though. There was feeling that someone might offer him 26-32x 5. In retrospect it was fair but at the time it was a biiiiiigggg lowball offer. The worse thing is most people seem to only look at things in hindsight which makes them all look like geniuses and they overlook the obvious...

which is that if the offer remained on the table for even a week or two Edwin would be a blue jay and Bautista would be the one looking for work/signed a lowball deal. The thing that rubs me the wrong way is that they can say they tried and most fans are dumb enough to look at things after the fact and say yes they sure did. And that deception is a bad thing to have. 

Sets a precedent for when guys like Sanchez, Stroman and Osuna are due for their contracts. But I applaud Sanchez for hiring Boras as this Summer's events opened eyes on the team and you can bet the players weren't fooled by the way the events unfolded.