The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

On 1/10/2018 at 4:20 PM, Xbox said:

Welp... that sucks. I wanted to see Houston beat NYY again.

This trade was reported everywhere as well. Can't believe it didn't go through.

hahahahahahahahahahaha. There is no way the Astros beat us in the playoffs. Heck, they might not even make it in a pretty decent AL West.

Jays avoid Arbitration with Donaldson and give Donaldson more than what he would have gotten in arbitration. I'm happy because it shows a sign of good faith from management. Also Tulo is no longer our highest paid player.

Donaldson also told the Jays he doesn't want to be traded and said he's flattered by other teams interest in him but has 0 desire to leave Toronto. The guys a keeper. I know some baseball players don't want to play in TO but as long as 1 out of 30 do we're fine.

I know we won't get JDMartinez but that would be such a lovely f**k you to Boston. I also think adding him + staying healthy would give us a good shot at #1 Wildcard, but I guess you can say that about a lot of teams when adding a player like Martinez.

Edited by Xbox

1 hour ago, Xbox said:

Jays avoid Arbitration with Donaldson and give Donaldson more than what he would have gotten in arbitration. I'm happy because it shows a sign of good faith from management. Also Tulo is no longer our highest paid player.

Donaldson also told the Jays he doesn't want to be traded and said he's flattered by other teams interest in him but has 0 desire to leave Toronto. The guys a keeper. I know some baseball players don't want to play in TO but as long as 1 out of 30 do we're fine.

I know we won't get JDMartinez but that would be such a lovely f**k you to Boston. I also think adding him + staying healthy would give us a good shot at #1 Wildcard, but I guess you can say that about a lot of teams when adding a player like Martinez.

"I could be okay if this (Toronto) is where I spend the rest of my career. I could also be okay if they (Blue Jays front office) decided to move on," Donaldson said during his appearance on MLB Network, according to Steve Buffery of the Toronto Sun.

There's no doubt in my mind he wants to stay with Toronto until the end of his career, but this lastest comment shows a side that he may have inside story to what's really going on higher up in management, and sees a possibility of them moving him for the direction this management wants to go...

9 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

"I could be okay if this (Toronto) is where I spend the rest of my career. I could also be okay if they (Blue Jays front office) decided to move on," Donaldson said during his appearance on MLB Network, according to Steve Buffery of the Toronto Sun.

There's no doubt in my mind he wants to stay with Toronto until the end of his career, but this lastest comment shows a side that he may have inside story to what's really going on higher up in management, and sees a possibility of them moving him for the direction this management wants to go...

Yeah I guess it really depends on how the team does this season. Here's hoping we can see Donaldson retire here.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Xbox said:

Yeah I guess it really depends on how the team does this season. Here's hoping we can see Donaldson retire here.

Hopefully this management can figure there crap out and make it worth it to him to want to retire here and have a chance at winning.

Will add, hoping the Jays are secretly going after Darvish...

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

39 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Hopefully this management can figure there crap out and make it worth it to him to want to retire here and have a chance at winning.

Will add, hoping the Jays are secretly going after Darvish...

Agreed, I hope there's a major signing. Something that brings momentum.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Well they're probably after Darvish more now.

So the absolute best case scenario this season for the Jays is getting 2nd WC and playing against Boston in Fenway. Beautiful, can't wait for Baseball!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Just read now the Yankees believe they can sign Darvish at a "reasonable" price....

I saw something on mlbtraderumours that they believe they could fit him under the luxury tax, which would make the contract around 90 million (I think). If they did and the contract was longer than 3 years I’d be surprised. 

Edited by Sean Monahan

2 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I saw something on mlbtraderumours that they believe they could fit him under the luxury tax, which would make the contract around 90 million (I think). If they did and the contract was longer than 3 years I’d be surprised. 

According to Cot's Contracts, the Yankees currently sit at just under $162 million in salary obligations for the upcoming season after adding Giancarlo Stanton earlier this winter. Luxury tax penalties begin at the $197-million mark this year.

The Yankees have been rumored to be looking for a suitor to take on Jacoby Ellsbury's $22-million salary in 2018, though the outfielder's no-trade clause likely complicates matters even if he has been relegated to bench duties.

They have the room and are trying to make more.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Xbox said:

Giants trade for Pittsburgh's Andrew McCutchen. I figured he'd be moved after the Pirates traded Cole.

Also @ChuckNORRIS4Cup no one will take that Ellsbury contract lol.

Interesting move from the Giants who just got Longoria a little while ago. They'll need a lot of bounce back seasons from most of the team if they want to be competitive.