The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

2 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yeah was upset to hear that happened to him, from what I saw read it's in a different spot then his previous one so that's actually a good thing, but still to have it already twice not good. They did say he maybe able to still hit, but I think something may have to change for his future, might be forced or very limited to one or the other.

Local boy and ex-Major Leaguer Scott Matheson had TJ twice and still threw 100 afterwards. TJ isn’t the same career derailment it once was. 

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

I think there’s some truth there but I think it’s almost a foregone conclusion that pitchers nowadays will have TJ or some sort of semi-major (maybe RC) arm surgery st some point in their careers. Kids throwing so much through their teenage years prior to turning pro paired with the ever-increasing velocities I think makes arm injuries inevitable. 

Yes your right they're just trying to hopefully limit the possibility, but the chance of injury is still high. I heard or read something a couple years ago regarding kids and pitching they're really cracking down on how many pitches are thrown, it used to be innings but now it's amount of pitches thrown. The other thing I saw was having kids throw changeups more, instead of curveballs, sliders because it's less strain on the arm.

1 minute ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yes your right they're just trying to hopefully limit the possibility, but the chance of injury is still high. I heard or read something a couple years ago regarding kids and pitching they're really cracking down on how many pitches are thrown, it used to be innings but now it's amount of pitches thrown. The other thing I saw was having kids throw changeups more, instead of curveballs, sliders because it's less strain on the arm.

Yeah I think minor baseball, at least here in BC, switched to pitch count limits about ten years ago. That said, the PBL (BC’s top high school league) doesn’t use any sort of limits and I imagine other leagues in other provinces are the same. 

Having coached youth baseball I’ve always stressed changeups to the kids. Not only do breaking balls put more stress on the arm they’re just unnecessary for the most part. If a kid can locate their fastball and develop feel for a change up, to the point they can throw it comfortably in any count, with the ability to just flip in a curveball from time to time they’ll get through high school and into college. 

The tough part is getting kids to buy into that. Breaking balls are much sexier pitches. Changeups are kinda lame. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Local boy and ex-Major Leaguer Scott Matheson had TJ twice and still threw 100 afterwards. TJ isn’t the same career derailment it once was. 

Yup I remember playing against him when he played for the Langley Blaze, but like I said to other poster it's not the recovery or strength after I'm talking about it's the avoiding having a pitcher being sidelined for that long in the first place is what they're trying to prevent from happening.

6 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Yeah I think minor baseball, at least here in BC, switched to pitch count limits about ten years ago. That said, the PBL (BC’s top high school league) doesn’t use any sort of limits and I imagine other leagues in other provinces are the same. 

Having coached youth baseball I’ve always stressed changeups to the kids. Not only do breaking balls put more stress on the arm they’re just unnecessary for the most part. If a kid can locate their fastball and develop feel for a change up, to the point they can throw it comfortably in any count, with the ability to just flip in a curveball from time to time they’ll get through high school and into college. 

The tough part is getting kids to buy into that. Breaking balls are much sexier pitches. Changeups are kinda lame. 

Well I played in the PBL in high school for the Coquitlam Reds 15 years ago, and I know for a fact the coaches kept track of amount of pitches thrown, but still tournaments/playoffs/provincials went by innings pitched. Not sure if the league has changed that, but I'm sure coaches are more interested in pitch counts instead of innings.

Yes you're right about sexier pitches lol, and as a kid growing up as a pitcher I know I hated throwing the change up because I never really learned it so wasn't good at it, and instead would always just throw the curveball/breakingball instead.

12 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yup I remember playing against him when he played for the Langley Blaze, but like I said to other poster it's not the recovery or strength after I'm talking about it's the avoiding having a pitcher being sidelined for that long in the first place is what they're trying to prevent from happening.

Yeah no denying that. Especially when you’re paying a guy oodles of money. IMO the greatest motive behind the limited innings is the strategic purpose, not having starters go through the lineup three times too often. Nolan Ryan still has his starters throwing long toss every day and a couple side pens per week and I don’t think they’ve suffered more arm injuries than other teams (just off the top of my head, could be wrong on that).

2 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Well I played in the PBL in high school for the Coquitlam Reds 15 years ago, and I know for a fact the coaches kept track of amount of pitches thrown, but still tournaments/playoffs/provincials went by innings pitched. Not sure if the league has changed that, but I'm sure coaches are more interested in pitch counts instead of innings.

Yes you're right about sexier pitches lol, and as a kid growing up as a pitcher I know I hated throwing the change up because I never really learned it so wasn't good at it, and instead would always just throw the curveball/breakingball instead.

They still keep track of pitches but there’s no rule in place like BC Minor has. Something like 45 pitches requires one night rest, 60 requires two, and so on. Can’t remember the exact numbers. I had a 15 year old throw 113 pitches a couple weekends ago. Not something we’d do often but it happens from time to time. 

You summed it up right there. Changeups, in addition to being more boring than breaking balls, are frustrating to learn. Takes tons of repetition to develop that feel for it. Anyone can just spin a breaking ball that moves decently. Don’t have to locate it well at all to most high school hitters, they just don’t keep their hands back long enough to hit it. Some just flat out don’t want to swing at em. I’d say most kids in the PBL throw their curveball as an absolute hanger or they spike it, but the hangers don’t matter cause hitters just take it most of the time. 

1 minute ago, Sean Monahan said:

Yeah no denying that. Especially when you’re paying a guy oodles of money. IMO the greatest motive behind the limited innings is the strategic purpose, not having starters go through the lineup three times too often. Nolan Ryan still has his starters throwing long toss every day and a couple side pens per week and I don’t think they’ve suffered more arm injuries than other teams (just off the top of my head, could be wrong on that).

That right there is what caught my attention I believe last year when I heard that's what Ryan used to do. I think he's really on to something there, because what he was able to do back in the day and avoid serious injury while going the distance as much as he did, is almost impossible now a days without being injured at some point.

That right there is what caught my attention I believe last year when I heard that's what Ryan used to do. I think he's really on to something there, because what he was able to do back in the day and avoid serious injury while going the distance as much as he did, is almost impossible now a days without being injured at some point.

He was an absolute freak. Threw like 2000 some-odd innings and into his forties without injury, still throwing gas as a middle-aged man. IIRC from that movie Fastball, the pitch he blew his arm out on (at age like 47 with tons of miles under his belt) he still hit 93. That’s just mind blowing. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

They still keep track of pitches but there’s no rule in place like BC Minor has. Something like 45 pitches requires one night rest, 60 requires two, and so on. Can’t remember the exact numbers. I had a 15 year old throw 113 pitches a couple weekends ago. Not something we’d do often but it happens from time to time. 

You summed it up right there. Changeups, in addition to being more boring than breaking balls, are frustrating to learn. Takes tons of repetition to develop that feel for it. Anyone can just spin a breaking ball that moves decently. Don’t have to locate it well at all to most high school hitters, they just don’t keep their hands back long enough to hit it. Some just flat out don’t want to swing at em. I’d say most kids in the PBL throw their curveball as an absolute hanger or they spike it, but the hangers don’t matter cause hitters just take it most of the time. 

Yeah gotcha and that is correct because I have a younger brother who is a 14 year difference in age, and watching and evening coaching one year for him in minor ball, I do remember them saying numbers exactly like that those 45 and 60 and certain amount of days off and it's not innings. 

I had a deadly breakingball when I was a kid it literally looked like it would hit the batter in the box all the time and man would it hang and drop into the zone, so why would I not want to throw it lol.

8 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yeah gotcha and that is correct because I have a younger brother who is a 14 year difference in age, and watching and evening coaching one year for him in minor ball, I do remember them saying numbers exactly like that those 45 and 60 and certain amount of days off and it's not innings. 

I had a deadly breakingball when I was a kid it literally looked like it would hit the batter in the box all the time and man would it hang and drop into the zone, so why would I not want to throw it lol.

Ever have any arm problems?

2 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Ever have any arm problems?

Lol many, but not when I played as a kid or competitive for the PBL or Kwantlen College, but I also stopped pitching after my first year in the PBL because I liked to hit more, but I was an outfielder with a cannon of an arm.

It wasn't until in my mid 20's when I played SLO pitch that I really started having arm problems. I pulled something in my shoulder one year and couldn't throw a ball more than 30-40 feet took a whole year off to let it heal came back stronger and better then ever. 2 years later threw a ball from the outfield and instant sharp pain in the elbow I was holding it because it hurt so much, tried to hit even after telling the coach I'm seriously hurt and don't think I can continue, got a hit but i couldn't following through being a right handed thrower and left handed batter, so had to pull myself was in way to much pain. Took 6 months off to let it heal and haven't had elbow problems since, but every year now seems like a hit or miss with my shoulder, last year it was so so, this year it's sore and I'm taking the year off again lol. I also never went to see a doctor or get medical help for any of my injuries, but I know something isn't right with the shoulder as I can't reach around my back as far as my left can and if I try to push it the pain is sore.

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Osuna to plead not guilty :huh: interesting. 

Honestly imo he's done, if found guilty what's really worse a player cheating and using steroids, or a player who is a woman beater....

If he is found guilty, is he allowed to stay in Canada? 

Just read this very interesting.

Report: Mets ready to entertain trade offers for virtually everyone

The New York Mets are open for business.

With the club nine games under .500 and eight games back of a playoff spot, the front office is reportedly ready to entertain trade offers for almost everyone on the roster, but prefer to keep their top young players who are under team control, sources told Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic.

Despite their record, the Mets possess a number of pieces that should generate strong interest, especially right-hander's Jacob deGrom and Noah Syndergaard. The cost on either would be substantial, and one source added that the club would be more open to moving Syndergaard than deGrom despite him being younger and under control for an additional season.

It's more likely the Mets try to find deals for veteran reliever Jeurys Familia, infielder Asdrubal Cabrera, third baseman Todd Frazier, and outfielder Jose Bautista. Familia, Cabrera, and Bautista are all free agents at the end of this season, while Frazier is under contract for $9 million next year.

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1559320

10 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Just read this very interesting.

Report: Mets ready to entertain trade offers for virtually everyone

The New York Mets are open for business.

With the club nine games under .500 and eight games back of a playoff spot, the front office is reportedly ready to entertain trade offers for almost everyone on the roster, but prefer to keep their top young players who are under team control, sources told Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic.

Despite their record, the Mets possess a number of pieces that should generate strong interest, especially right-hander's Jacob deGrom and Noah Syndergaard. The cost on either would be substantial, and one source added that the club would be more open to moving Syndergaard than deGrom despite him being younger and under control for an additional season.

It's more likely the Mets try to find deals for veteran reliever Jeurys Familia, infielder Asdrubal Cabrera, third baseman Todd Frazier, and outfielder Jose Bautista. Familia, Cabrera, and Bautista are all free agents at the end of this season, while Frazier is under contract for $9 million next year.

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1559320

Blue jays are 5 games under .500 and 13 games back of a wildcard spot :( . It’s time for them to deal everyone. Once Harper, Trout and Kershaw are in our division, we won’t be relevant for 10 more seasons anyways. I wonder if the Yankees can aquire Syndergaard?

• Haha 1

Report: Yankees, Mariners interested in acquiring Happ

With free agency in his future and a fine season on the go, Toronto Blue Jays left-hander J.A. Happ is drawing trade interest from two of the league's best teams.

The New York Yankees and Seattle Mariners are both interested in acquiring the 35-year-old Happ, according to sources of MLB Network's Jon Morosi.

New York has been tied to Happ for some time, but with Jordan Montgomery (Tommy John) and Masahiro Tanaka (strained hamstrings) out of action, the Yankees continued interest in the former 20-game winner make sense considering recent comments from general manager Brian Cashman.

Related: Yankees GM says he's reached out to at least 20 teams about trades

The Mariners, whom Happ played for in 2015, have played surprisingly well without suspended second baseman Robinson Cano and are hot on the tails of the Houston Astros for the lead in the AL West. Their starting staff is sixth in ERA among AL clubs, but Felix Hernandez has struggled and Wade LeBlanc is pitching much better than his career numberssuggest.

Despite playing on the 33-38 Blue Jays, Happ owns an 8-3 record with a 3.48 ERA and one of the highest strikeout rates of his career (10.2).

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1515550

9 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Blue jays are 5 games under .500 and 13 games back of a wildcard spot :( . It’s time for them to deal everyone. Once Harper, Trout and Kershaw are in our division, we won’t be relevant for 10 more seasons anyways. I wonder if the Yankees can aquire Syndergaard?

I agree with dealing players on this team this year, it is the year to do it the Jays should follow what the Mets are planning on doing. Definitely looks like things maybe getting very interesting out their on the trade market soon.

I agree with dealing players on this team this year, it is the year to do it the Jays should follow what the Mets are planning on doing. Definitely looks like things maybe getting very interesting out their on the trade market soon.

It’s kind of nice this time around though, we do have 4 prospects in the MLB top 100... hell I think we got 3 in the top 50. I don’t know if I can take another 20 years of bottom dwelling though. It’d be nice to see MLB get a hard cap of about 180-190 million. Prevent the Sed Sox, Yankees and Dodgers from acquiring all the top end talent. Or even to move one of those teams into a different division... it would suck to face one of those teams through a season but to face 2 of them that often, basically handicaps 3 teams in the division the 17 out of every 20 years they go into buy and contend mode.