The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Anything is possible, but I'd be very surprised if he came back before the all-star break.

I think another start for the Fisher Cats, (or maybe one in Buffalo) is more likely....

I'd rather leaving him down too long than not enough.  Make sure his confidence is where it needs to be.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'd rather leaving him down too long than not enough.  Make sure his confidence is where it needs to be.

Agreed. To my way of thinking, the absolute worst case Ontario would be to bring him up only to see him get shelled again....

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

17 hours ago, shiznak said:

I read somewhere that the Jays actually had the best record in June, amongst the AL East teams. Yet, it doesn’t seem that way, with where they are in the standings. Probably because all those games against the AL East teams, they loss.

Lots of sideways in the entire league. No one is going anywhere......

Could contain: Text, Page, Computer Hardware, Electronics, Hardware, Monitor, Screen, Calendar

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Jays 45-40 at White Sox 37-49- game time 5:10 pacific

Probable pitchers

Bassitt 8-5  4.06 era  93 So,  against Lucas  Giolito 6-5 3.53 era 108 So

Despite that 3.53 ERA Giolito has been a bit of a nightmare in 1st innings this year giving up 1st inning runs in 8 out of 17 starts. Would be nice if the Jays could jump all over him and get Bassitt a lead.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Starting against Detroit is kinda like starting in AAA, so makes sense.

Starting on the road also helps minimize the media circus.  If he actually comes back and does well, whoever was working with him should get Pete Walker's job, because they did it for him.

7 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Could contain: People, Person, Clothing, Glove, Baseball, Baseball Glove, Baseball Cap, Team, Team Sport, Baseball (Ball)

His ERA that year was 1.12. His record was 22-9. How the Hell do you lose 9 games with an ERA that low???

Way too lazy to go look it up, but my guess is that he lost most of them late. In those days, a pitcher would finish what he started.

It's difficult to compare eras, (because for one thing, I think the hitters are better now) but if that Cardinals team had a bench full of relievers, including a "lights out" closer, Gibby probably would have won 30 that season, but had a lot less CGs....

• Vintage 1

11 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

1 Springer

2 Merrifield

3 Vladdy 

4 Bo

5 Chapman

6 Keirmaier

7 Belt

8 Jansen/Kirk

9 Varsho

I like it, but if I were putting it together, I'd balance the Lefties and Righties a bit more. Something like this:

1 - Springer

2 - Merrifield

3 - Vladdy

4 - Bo

5 - Belt

6 - Chapman

7 - Varsho

8 - Jansen/Kirk

9 - KK

Ideally, you'd like Varsho to regain his form from his D-Back days and allow Schneider to occasionally slot him in at #5, but so far he hasn't earned it. I would also consider flipping DV and KK, (as you do) but Kiermaier actually seems to be most comfortable in the 9th spot.

• Cheers 1

Interesting comment online....

The Padres have DFA'd Nelly Cruz, right at a time when the Jays might be looking for a right handed bat to come off the bench. Now Cruz is older than dirt, but he's still got some pop in that bat and he walks a lot more than he strikes out (think a right handed Brandon Belt, but with a bit more power)

It wouldn't be expensive and we've seen lots of cases where veteran hitters catch a second wind after a change of scenery....

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Way too lazy to go look it up, but my guess is that he lost most of them late. In those days, a pitcher would finish what he started.

It's difficult to compare eras, (because for one thing, I think the hitters are better now) but if that Cardinals team had a bench full of relievers, including a "lights out" closer, Gibby probably would have won 30 that season, but had a lot less CGs....

Heff's link has the back story on Gibson's 1968 season. 1968 is also the last year a pitcher won 30 games. Denny McClean of the Tigers went 31-6.

Agree with you about today's hitters. They wind up seeing multiple different pitchers in a game. They may go from seeing a righty to a lefty, to a submariner, to a guy throwing 100+mph. Back then as you said. a pitcher finished what he started and you'd wind up getting 4-6 at bats against the same guy as he's getting tired and slowing down.

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The link I posted clears it up.  Terrible run support in a year so dominated by pitching that the mound was lowered the following season.

• Cheers 1