The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

18 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

yes...losing breeds losing..we dont need to go on a sloppy losing streak now...everyone loses a game..so...Im just hoping it was the All Star break.

What sucks is all the runners left on base. We could pick up the pitching until it gets going if they could capitalize. It seemed to be picking up before that all star break. 

• Upvote 1

Just for the people complaining about Saunders they showed his stats in his last 11 games, batting around .360. Yes he's had a couple of bad games lately, but he still gets it done. But Bautista hits around .230 - .240, but people still hate on Saunders if he has a slump here or there.....

What sucks and is the problem and has been for years is their Bullpen, they were lucky to get a win today, should of lost because their bullpen is crap, luckily they have the offense. But seriously they need to make moves and get bullpen help now, it's a joke out there and it's too scary to finish the year with the bullpen they have.

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Time for Saunders to drop a big bomb here. Never mind. That sums him up lately..

yep,,counting the all star game I dont think he has a hit in 5 games as I mentioned earlier..he has to pick it up..he will end up the 4th OF at this rate.

Edited by ShakyWalton

36 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Just for the people complaining about Saunders they showed his stats in his last 11 games, batting around .360. Yes he's had a couple of bad games lately, but he still gets it done. But Bautista hits around .230 - .240, but people still hate on Saunders if he has a slump here or there.....

..I like him  but he is invisible for long periods..then he goes on a tear.

Im sure if you asked him today he would tell you he is in a slump right now.

Edited by ShakyWalton

28 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

..I like him  but he is invisible for long periods..then he goes on a tear.

Im sure if you asked him today he would tell you he is in a slump right now.

I'm not arguing that he's in a slump that's obvious, but he does break out of them they don't continue as long as Tulos normally do. Saunders had 26 hits last month, he has 15 hits this month, was batting .313 for the month before today's game.

http://m.mlb.com/player/459431/michael-saunders?year=2016&stats=gamelogs-r-hitting-mlb

11 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I'm not arguing that he's in a slump that's obvious, but he does break out of them they don't continue as long as Tulos normally do. Saunders had 26 hits last month, he has 15 hits this month, was batting .313 for the month before today's game.

http://m.mlb.com/player/459431/michael-saunders?year=2016&stats=gamelogs-r-hitting-mlb

I guess it just seems worse than it is because when he goes on a roll he gets 3 or 4 hits a game for long period and when he goes cold its noticeable.

56 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

I guess it just seems worse than it is because when he goes on a roll he gets 3 or 4 hits a game for long period and when he goes cold its noticeable.

Imo he's having a great year, he's on pace for his highest home runs total and his overall average sitting at .293 with 43 rbi is not bad either, I wonder if this will be a career high year for him or if this is his breakout year. If we are to maximize his return, I feel now is probably the time to do it. But we'd need a big LH bat(possibly Bruce) in another trade. We could probably get a pretty respectable arm in the pen for him. 

28 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Imo he's having a great year, he's on pace for his highest home runs total and his overall average sitting at .293 with 43 rbi is not bad either, I wonder if this will be a career high year for him or if this is his breakout year. If we are to maximize his return, I feel now is probably the time to do it. But we'd need a big LH bat(possibly Bruce) in another trade. We could probably get a pretty respectable arm in the pen for him. 

I think this will be his best year offensively..he actually doesnt have far to go..4 more Hrs will beat his high of 19....not far off his rbi total either..

I feel sorry because he wants to play for the Jays being a Canadian and all...but I dont know if he is in Shapiros plans.

Edited by ShakyWalton

27 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

I think this will be his best year offensively..he actually doesnt have far to go..4 more Hrs will beat his high of 19....not far off his rbi total either..

I feel sorry because he wants to play for the Jays being a Canadian and all...but I dont know if he is in Shapiros plans.

Yup I do too, but Shapiro won't respect that and unfortunately he was to cheap to address the Pen in the off season via free agents that wouldn't cost us assets. I mean he tried and failed big time with Storen. 

3 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

I know what you mean but that's the joys of baseball, it's a different story if he's batting under .250, then there's a problem, but he's still close to .300. It's frustrating, but as long as he recovers which he normally does I'm confident in him. It's the guys like Tulo and Martin that worry me, yes they've been doing better lately, but I expect those guys to be batting over .250, and in the last couple years they haven't.  

1 hour ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Yup I do too, but Shapiro won't respect that and unfortunately he was to cheap to address the Pen in the off season via free agents that wouldn't cost us assets. I mean he tried and failed big time with Storen. 

It's tough to say if he is in Shapiro's plans or not, but Saunders doesn't come off as a greedy type of guy to me. Of course teams will be willing to pay big dollars for him in free agency, but I could easily see him taking like a $5M contract to stay with the Jays or if the number is higher and Jays offer it which will still be lower then all the other teams lol, he would take it to stay a Jay.

Regarding the Pen I hated all the off season signings except for Storen, but the rest were the cheap route out and hoped for the best. I really thought and I believe others did as well Storen would become a good player in the pen, but as mentioned it back fired completely. Now he needs to fix the mess he made hopefully he does, and if he doesn't well it's really going to suck for us.

12 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

It's tough to say if he is in Shapiro's plans or not, but Saunders doesn't come off as a greedy type of guy to me. Of course teams will be willing to pay big dollars for him in free agency, but I could easily see him taking like a $5M contract to stay with the Jays or if the number is higher and Jays offer it which will still be lower then all the other teams lol, he would take it to stay a Jay.

Regarding the Pen I hated all the off season signings except for Storen, but the rest were the cheap route out and hoped for the best. I really thought and I believe others did as well Storen would become a good player in the pen, but as mentioned it back fired completely. Now he needs to fix the mess he made hopefully he does, and if he doesn't well it's really going to suck for us.

Saunders should be offered more than Smoak..which is about 4.3   he gets 2.9 now...wouldnt cost an arm and a leg to sign him on a 2 year extension.

31 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

Saunders should be offered more than Smoak..which is about 4.3   he gets 2.9 now...wouldnt cost an arm and a leg to sign him on a 2 year extension.

Going rate is anywhere from 6-12 for guys that crank 20+ runs and put up 50-70 RBI. If he cranks close to 30 that could move him to the 12-15 range, but like Norris said he may take a discount at 7-12 depending on his performance in the second half. 

1 minute ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Going rate is anywhere from 6-12 for guys that crank 20+ runs and put up 50-70 RBI. If he cranks close to 30 that could move him to the 12-15 range, but like Norris said he may take a discount at 7-12 depending on his performance in the second half. 

..Smoak is making 4.3 next year..my post was confusing... and if Saunders gets 20..I agree.I hope they dont low ball him..he could do well on the open market if they do...

14 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

..Smoak is making 4.3 next year..my post was confusing... and if Saunders gets 20..I agree.I hope they dont low ball him..he could do well on the open market if they do...

There's not much available for free agency this winter so I'd bet if Saunders makes it to the open market somebody will pay him 12-15 easily.

14 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I'm not one of them. Saunders seems to be one of those hot/cold hitters, but overall, he's been great this season. Like you, I worry a bit about the Jays' ability to keep him on the team. He's having his best season at the best time for him to get paid and I wouldn't be surprised if Atkins and Shapiro decided that he wasn't worth a big contract. (He's the left handed power bat that the Jays need, but his defense is sub-par and they might look at another option)

Yesterday was disappointing for Happ, but I can't fault Gibbons for taking him out of the game when he did. The ball hit by Reddick was smoked as well and if it hadn't hit JA, the seventh would have been an even bigger problem. It was unfortunate that Chavez couldn't get out of the inning, but the pitch to Alonso wasn't that bad. Sometimes you just have to give the hitter credit.

The thing that bothered me more (and I hate to keep harping on this) was the Jays' half when Pillar and Smoak led off with back to back singles. The sacrifice was the obvious play, but Lake's effort on the first pitch was as pathetic of a bunt attempt as I've seen in a long time. Then he swings at two sliders that were nowhere near the strike zone.

Meanwhile, Zeke, one of the best bunters in the league is sitting on the bench.

I understand  being a 3 run HR manager, but there are times when you need to sacrifice and this was one of them. Gibby takes responsibility for men LOB too often, IMHO.