The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

16 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

We moved Sanchez to the pen to avoid him requiring tommy John surgery or something similar. Until you're about 24-25 you don't physically have the strength to throw that hard consistently and put that much torque on your arm without doing serious damage. It's a smart long term move. You want Sanchez to have some great years 25-33ish this is the way to attain that.

Common amongst the very few pitchers that make it this young, Strasburg had the same treatment his first couple years and when they first tried to get him a full season he required shoulder surgery iirc, he's been good since but not the predicted mesiah he was on pace for before that.

* my quote thing isn't working properly so I didn't quote you. 

I understand that, but he's been a stud and one of the best pitcher's in baseball. More importantly, he hasn't shown any sign of being tired or wearing down. He's just mowing guys down and he's making it look easy. There's something called an efficiency ratio which looks to innings pitched versus the number of pitches thrown, and I believe he's in the top 7 or 8 in the whole league in efficiency. In otherwords, his innings count equates to a much lower number of the innings as the innings have not been difficult for him. On the contrary, he's been making it look easy for some time now.

I kind of agree with Zaun on the point that there's no guarantees with where this team will be at next season or the one after. Sanchez is a young stud and as Zaun mentioned, you want more of those guys in your rotation than 30-year old plus guys. And as you mentioned with Strasburg, they did the same thing with him and he's only had one season where he wasn't put on the disabled list.

Zaun's point being that there are no guarantees. He also suggested that if the move happens, the locker-room might blow up as the implication of the move is that he's more important to the Jays than guys on this team right now. Than the veterans in the room such as Bautista, Encarnacion, and Donaldson, guys that are the team leaders, who might not be with the team after the season and who will not be happy knowing that the move could hurt their chances to make the playoffs and go on a long run. They want to win now.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out, and how management will explain the move to Jays fans if they don't make the playoffs by a half game or a game because they decided not to pitch Sanchez.

Edited by MJDDawg
  • Upvote 1

Alex Rodriguez: New York Yankees May Release Designated Hitter Before End of Season, Report Says
The Yankees may cut Rodriguez, who is owed $42 million over the next two years, the New York Daily News reported. The three-time MVP is batting .205 with nine home runs and 29 RBIs this season.

1 hour ago, MJDDawg said:

I understand that, but he's been a stud and one of the best pitcher's in baseball. More importantly, he hasn't shown any sign of being tired or wearing down. He's just mowing guys down and he's making it look easy. There's something called an efficiency ratio which looks to innings pitched versus the number of pitches thrown, and I believe he's in the top 7 or 8 in the whole league in efficiency. In otherwords, his innings count equates to a much lower number of the innings as the innings have not been difficult for him. On the contrary, he's been making it look easy for some time now.

I kind of agree with Zaun on the point that there's no guarantees with where this team will be at next season or the one after. Sanchez is a young stud and as Zaun mentioned, you want more of those guys in your rotation than 30-year old plus guys. And as you mentioned with Strasburg, they did the same thing with him and he's only had one season where he wasn't put on the disabled list.

Zaun's point being that there are no guarantees. He also suggested that if the move happens, the locker-room might blow up as the implication of the move is that he's more important to the Jays than guys on this team right now. Than the veterans in the room such as Bautista, Encarnacion, and Donaldson, guys that are the team leaders, who might not be with the team after the season and who will not be happy knowing that the move could hurt their chances to make the playoffs and go on a long run. They want to win now.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out, and how management will explain the move to Jays fans if they don't make the playoffs by a half game or a game because they decided not to pitch Sanchez.

Sanchez is a big stud...it wasnt done to Stroman who is a small guy..

Liriano's numbers when pitching to Martin are more than good enough to justify moving Sanchez to the bullpen in a win now situation. Hopefully Rogers coughs up the cash this offseason to sign EE as the dude has been nothing short of exceptional. Letting Joey Bats go in favour of re-signing Saunders and picking up a reliever may be worth it as well. 

27 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

Liriano's numbers when pitching to Martin are more than good enough to justify moving Sanchez to the bullpen in a win now situation. Hopefully Rogers coughs up the cash this offseason to sign EE as the dude has been nothing short of exceptional. Letting Joey Bats go in favour of re-signing Saunders and picking up a reliever may be worth it as well. 

we dont know that about Liriano..he isnt having a great year but if he gets back to where he was it might work out.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:
Alex Rodriguez: New York Yankees May Release Designated Hitter Before End of Season, Report Says
The Yankees may cut Rodriguez, who is owed $42 million over the next two years, the New York Daily News reported. The three-time MVP is batting .205 with nine home runs and 29 RBIs this season.

Saving that 3B money for Machado.

That's Harper, Trout, and now Machado that the Yankees have been linked to.  I'm sure some of this can be taken with a grain of salt (how many hockey players get linked to TO that never sign there) but if they manage to sign all three it may be enough for me not to be a fan of major league baseball anymore.

Edited by Wilbur
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

we dont know that about Liriano..he isnt having a great year but if he gets back to where he was it might work out.

Fair enough, the biggest concern in the rotation has to be Estrada's back though if Sanchez is moved to the bullpen.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Saving that 3B money for Machado.

That's Harper, Trout, and now Machado that the Yankees have been linked to.  I'm sure some of this can be taken with a grain of salt (how many hockey players get linked to TO that never sign there) but if they manage to sign all three it may be enough for me not to be a fan of major league baseball anymore.

Harper and Trout will more than likely cost them half a billion each to get under contract, not sure if they will spend on Machado after that especially when they will need pitching help. 

I dont mind the transition. It makes our bullpen a lot stronger and saves the kids arm. If we make the playoffs, he could very well be back in the rotation. 

Lets hope this new guy from Pittsburgh gets his mojo back with #55 catching

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Xbox said:

I dont mind the transition. It makes our bullpen a lot stronger and saves the kids arm. If we make the playoffs, he could very well be back in the rotation. 

Lets hope this new guy from Pittsburgh gets his mojo back with #55 catching

Sanchez will be in the bullpen for the playoffs too if they make it. 

3 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

Just got home from work, how've we looked? 

Liriano has over 1500 career strikeouts and has played on some pretty bad teams, but did play on a couple good pirates teams and showed some success. I think he might turn it around here. 

8 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Just got home from work, how've we looked? 

Liriano has over 1500 career strikeouts and has played on some pretty bad teams, but did play on a couple good pirates teams and showed some success. I think he might turn it around here. 

we have been okay..Saunders still striking out..getting real hard to watch this guy.......bombs by EE and Bats...interesting clip with Hayhurst saying its a lose lose putting Sanchez in the pen...thinks its absolutely the wrong move....

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/video/hayhurst-on-sanchez-s-move-to-pen-a-lose-lose-for-the-jays~922864

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ShakyWalton said:

we have been okay..Saunders still striking out..getting real hard to watch this guy.......bombs by EE and Bats...interesting clip with Hayhurst saying its a lose lose putting Sanchez in the pen...thinks its absolutely the wrong move....

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/video/hayhurst-on-sanchez-s-move-to-pen-a-lose-lose-for-the-jays~922864

Thx buddy, I gotta go play myself... Hopefully when I get off the field we'll have won and aren't in another marathon game... It's the last thing our BP needs.

• Upvote 1