The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

11 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Nah. I think Lawrie's problems have as much to do with injuries as it does ability. When he was with the Jays, I wondered if his balls out style was going to give him problems later in his career. I guess now we know....

I believe your right, that balls out style was why I used to like him tbh, but your right it has hurt his career due to injuries to bad.

So I'm a little confused now, after just reading the Jays are now interested supposedly again in Angel Pagan for LF. If they do sign him then that's Upton, Carerra, Pompey and Pearce fighting for 1 position, 5 freaking players for 1, I'm sorry but I don't get the logic here way to many players imo. Or just trade Upton already, or go after a better 1B instead, you have enough already fighting for the LF position.

Report: Blue Jays have interest in Angel Pagan
http://www.thescore.com/news/1246665

@Xbox ???

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

So I'm a little confused now, after just reading the Jays are now interested supposedly again in Angel Pagan for LF. If they do sign him then that's Upton, Carerra, Pompey and Pearce fighting for 1 position, 5 freaking players for 1, I'm sorry but I don't get the logic here way to many players imo. Or just trade Upton already, or go after a better 1B instead, you have enough already fighting for the LF position.

TBH, I was a bit mystified that they didn't at least kick the tires during the off season. Pagan's a bit old, but based on the numbers, he'd easily be the best fit in LF. OBP of .330, Switch hitter, decent power for a small guy and can steal you a base.

Not only would he be the best LF option, I think he'd be the best option at lead off. Git 'er done, Shatkins.

38 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I know it's nothing to do with the player, but there's some humour in acquiring a player with the same last name as the guy who threw a beer during the Wild Card game.

I'm thinking the logic is to fill out those 5 outfield positions (3 starters/2 backups) with the best players possible and trade the rest for pitchers. I'm all for Pagan as long as we don't just sit on our assets. Every GM is always looking to improve their team.

Edited by Xbox

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

TBH, I was a bit mystified that they didn't at least kick the tires during the off season. Pagan's a bit old, but based on the numbers, he'd easily be the best fit in LF. OBP of .330, Switch hitter, decent power for a small guy and can steal you a base.

Not only would he be the best LF option, I think he'd be the best option at lead off. Git 'er done, Shatkins.

Well going after Revere in the off season is what they should of done in the first place, but If the lead off rumor is true about Pagan then maybe I can accept that then. Then I guess they would trade or waive Upton then...

1 minute ago, Xbox said:

I know it's nothing to do with the player, but there's some humour in acquiring a player with the same last name as the guy who threw a beer during the Wild Card game.

I'm thinking the logic is to fill out those 5 outfield positions (3 starters/2 backups) with the best players possible and trade the rest for pitchers. I'm all for Pagan as long as we don't just sit on our assets. Every GM is always looking to improve their team.

Wow didn't know that about the last name :lol:, pretty sure we would know what the headline story would be then if they did sign him...

Unless they're finally starting to accept the fact that Pearce will have to platoon at 1B with Smoak, because they screwed up resigning Smoak and now need the insurance to cover him up with Pearce. Which would then make them look at a new outfielder again....

2 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Well going after Revere in the off season is what they should of done in the first place, but If the lead off rumor is true about Pagan then maybe I can accept that then. Then I guess they would trade or waive Upton then...

Not a rumor, Chuck. Purely my opinion.

A lot of people pencil Travis in at leadoff, but IMO, he's the ideal #2 hitter. A guy with a high average some power, but excellent bat control. You need a guy at #2 who can shoot the hole between 1st and 2nd, when they're holding the lead off guy on 1st.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Not a rumor, Chuck. Purely my opinion.

A lot of people pencil Travis in at leadoff, but IMO, he's the ideal #2 hitter. A guy with a high average some power, but excellent bat control. You need a guy at #2 who can shoot the hole between 1st and 2nd, when they're holding the lead off guy on 1st.

I think it was @Xbox in the off season who also mentioned Pagan as a good lead off, so rumor or opinion seem to be out there.

Agree 100% on Travis he's not a leadoff, to much power imo who is good at driving in runs to be wasted at leadoff. Travis is a guy where you can slot him in anywhere from 2-5.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Wow didn't know that about the last name :lol:, pretty sure we would know what the headline story would be then if they did sign him...

Unless they're finally starting to accept the fact that Pearce will have to platoon at 1B with Smoak, because they screwed up resigning Smoak and now need the insurance to cover him up with Pearce. Which would then make them look at a new outfielder again....

I'm just starting to wonder what the point of signing Pearce was. Even if we didn't resign Smoak (which we shouldn't have) Pearce has no interest in 1B. You don't want to play a ticked off player.

Yes Pagan at LF (even funnier, because that's where Pagan threw the beer) and leadoff would give our team a significant boost. 

Edited by Xbox
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Xbox said:

I'm just starting to wonder what the point of signing Pearce was. Even if we didn't resign Smoak (which we shouldn't have) Pearce has no interest in 1B. You don't want to play a ticked off player.

They're thinking was getting a player like Barney who can play almost anywhere, but someone who can play 1B just in case. Signing Smoak is they're worst thing they've done since taking over the Jays, it's caused way to many problems imo.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

They're thinking was getting a player like Barney who can play almost anywhere, but someone who can play 1B just in case. Signing Smoak is they're worst thing they've done since taking over the Jays, it's caused way to many problems imo.

Yes I would agree with this. Could you imagine if Smoak was in the Pagan trade :o

Just now, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Pagan is a free agent so no trades involved just signing. What they should do is trade Upton and Smoak for a 1B.

Trade the two players I want off the roster the most? I'm in! 

Didn't realize he was still a FA holy crap. For some reason I thought LAA snatched him.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I like him as an option for the leadoff position but I have to agree. We would have way too many OFs.  Best case scenario would have to be Travis batting lead off because we usually have JD in the 2 hole followed by Bats, Morales, Martin, Tulo, etc. I just don't see where Pagan would fit. We basically have a full roster and as what you and @Xbox have mentioned, we would use the roster spot if anything on a pitcher with Floyd, Girodo, Loup, Bolsinger all battling it out for a spot. there may be a couple more that I haven't mentioned

Edit: meant to quote @ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Edited by Beary Sweet
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Beary Sweet said:

I like him as an option for the leadoff position but I have to agree. We would have way too many OFs.  Best case scenario would have to be Travis batting lead off because we usually have JD in the 2 hole followed by Bats, Morales, Martin, Tulo, etc. I just don't see where Pagan would fit. We basically have a full roster and as what you and @Xbox have mentioned, we would use the roster spot if anything on a pitcher with Floyd, Girodo, Loup, Bolsinger all battling it out for a spot. there may be a couple more that I haven't mentioned

I think JD is wasted at number 2. Far too much power to be coming up with bases empty so often. Also, a guy like him should not be thinking about taking the ball the other way, or taking pitches so the the guy ahead of him has a chance to steal.

15 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think JD is wasted at number 2. Far too much power to be coming up with bases empty so often. Also, a guy like him should not be thinking about taking the ball the other way, or taking pitches so the the guy ahead of him has a chance to steal.

Yeah I agree. I prefer that he'd be the clean up hitter or in the 3 hole. Gibby just likes putting him In that 2 spot though. It makes the offence much more of a threat