The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

6 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Just to be clear on that coastal, the 30 million figure was never confirmed, (or if it was, I didn't see it) it was media speculation.

I think we'd all like to see a bit less abrasive Joey Bats, but there are times when the attitude makes the player. I remember when Todd Bertuzzi was in his prime and was a similar personality. There was little effort to change the person he was, because the "mean" was part of what him the player he was.

With Bats, it's not so much "mean", it's an abundance of pride and a definite tendency to take offense when he feels disrespected.

I think the "wake up call" was a great thing for both JB and the Jays. His ego is going to make him desperately want to prove wrong those who didn't think he was worth a long-term contract, or that his play wouldn't justify the negative PR that comes with having a "hated" guy on the roster.

1. The kind of Joey Bats you if he want is the one that has something to prove.

i kinda would like a jb with a bit more loyalty

and a little less "me first" persona

so let's see what he does after this season

if he in fact plays well.. ..

let's see if he is clear he realistically wants to remain with the team

Edited by coastal.view

6 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Just to be clear on that coastal, the 30 million figure was never confirmed, (or if it was, I didn't see it) it was media speculation.

I think we'd all like to see a bit less abrasive Joey Bats, but there are times when the attitude makes the player. I remember when Todd Bertuzzi was in his prime and was a similar personality. There was little effort to change the person he was, because the "mean" was part of what him the player he was.

With Bats, it's not so much "mean", it's an abundance of pride and a definite tendency to take offense when he feels disrespected.

I think the "wake up call" was a great thing for both JB and the Jays. His ego is going to make him desperately want to prove wrong those who didn't think he was worth a long-term contract, or that his play wouldn't justify the negative PR that comes with having a "hated" guy on the roster.

1. The kind of Joey Bats you if he want is the one that has something to prove.

i kinda would like a jb with a bit more loyalty

and a little less "me first" persona

so let's see what he dose after this season

if he in fact plays well.. ..

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Lol yeah I know, but this has been his feeling ever since day 1, but his demand for $30M last year was more out of anger to management I believe, but of course with the injury season he had didn't look good on him lol and backfired. 

anger towards managment for what ?

they both .. he and management .. signed a contract that contained risk

he was unproven still and got a longer term deal for good money

he just managed to out perform his contract (this happens less often than it should in my view)

if he did not perform to his contract he would not be offering a refund to the team (the failure to perform to the contract level happens more often than it should)

he got rich being a jay.. and yes.. could have earned more if everyone could have forecasted the future accurately

that does not entitle him to another long term deal at his age

and the dollars he was seeking was crazy

i do not see any reasonable basis for jb to be angry..  it is just his ego

Just now, coastal.view said:

anger towards managment for what ?

they both .. he and management .. signed a contract that contained risk

he was unproven still and got a longer term deal for good money

he just managed to out perform his contract (this happens less often than it should in my view)

if he did not perform to his contract he would not be offering a refund to the team (the failure to perform to the contract level happens more often than it should)

he got rich being a jay.. and yes.. could have earned more if everyone could have forecasted the future accurately

that does not entitle him to another long term deal at his age

and the dollars he was seeking was crazy

i do not see any reasonable basis for jb to be angry..  it is just his ego

Well watching AA leave and realizing Jays have been cheap on players in the past for contracts. I felt like his demand was a punch in a way to Rogers, to say you better finally pay up. 

4 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Well watching AA leave and realizing Jays have been cheap on players in the past for contracts. I felt like his demand was a punch in a way to Rogers, to say you better finally pay up. 

and the team was correct for refusing to do so

and EE (i assume you meant him) and JB were both proven to be incorrect in their views

so let's just accept reality now

11 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

and the team was correct for refusing to do so

and EE (i assume you meant him) and JB were both proven to be incorrect in their views

so let's just accept reality now

Nope I meant AA

Remember this is the mindset back a year ago... A team that finally made it to the post season for the first time in 20 years, and you get new management....

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Jays won today over the Phillies 6-4. Salty with a perfect day in the plate today including a dinger. Liriano pitched 5 shutout innings. Gurriel looks like a promising prospect also. He hit a dinger today as well. Things starting to turn around this spring for the jays. I just want the season to start already lol

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

Jays won today over the Phillies 6-4. Salty with a perfect day in the plate today including a dinger. Liriano pitched 5 shutout innings. Gurriel looks like a promising prospect also. He hit a dinger today as well. Things starting to turn around this spring for the jays. I just want the season to start already lol

Liranio pitched 3 shutout innings ^_^, when I saw Salty and his stats first thing that went through my mind was finally a backup catcher who can hit!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Nope I meant AA

Remember this is the mindset back a year ago... A team that finally made it to the post season for the first time in 20 years, and you get new management....

i'm pretty content with the new management

you think jb is justified in being angry because he should have a say in management? cuz AA was moved on?

or what is it you are saying ?

jb has done well as a jay financially

i still have no idea why he should be justifiably angry at the jays

do explain

So did Kevin Pillar just get really good at baseball?? Finally nice to see guys take in the get on base at all costs approach. I've felt for years everybody has just been trying to crush home runs instead of taking some off and playing small ball. Hoping Pillar has a great year he's got so much upside.

27 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i'm pretty content with the new management

you think jb is justified in being angry because he should have a say in management? cuz AA was moved on?

or what is it you are saying ?

jb has done well as a jay financially

i still have no idea why he should be justifiably angry at the jays

do explain

Just trying to figure out his mindset for demanding $30M annually that's all...

1 hour ago, Beary Sweet said:

Great to hear, but remember, we won't really know what we have until about may 1st. Mostly minor league players play the majority of spring training up until the last week of it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Moonshinefe said:

Did anyone watch that wild Mexico vs. Italy game? I feel bad for Osuna. :(

What happen to my boy? I swear if anything happens to him, I'm going to murder whoever touches his body:P. We need him this season to continue pitching lights out in the 9th inning of games and 4 out saves if necessary