The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Kesler to remain a Canuck

TheRussianRocket.

I don't understand what your saying, is it that kess should be on the second unit pp?

Actually the way the game is reffed now he might as well go back to the 2nd pp unit and help make it more effective. But what I'm saying is it was adding Kesler to the 1st unit in 10/11 that gave the Sedins a huge pp production boost and making it the top pp in league, not Ehrhoff. In 08/09 without Ehrhoff the Sedins combined for 50 pp points. In 09/10 with Ehrhoff added on the 1st unit the Sedins combined for 48 pp points. Hmm, adding Ehrhoff didn't make any significant difference on their pp production. In 10/11 they combined for 77 pp points. What changed from those previous two seasons? Kesler was moved to the 1st unit.

No, that would indicate Ehrhoff was the driving force of the powerplay and made Kesler's point production insanely high. Once Ehrhoff left, Kesler has been horrible on the man advantage, standing around waiting for the puck, because none of our defensemen can hit the net for those juicy rebounds or make those nice passes for the open net tap ins for him.

That is nonsense.

Kesler had three key functions in the ozone on the powerplay and none of them were dependent upon Christian Ehrhoff.

As Henrik ran the powerplay from the right half boards - Kesler provided a key weapon, being a right handed shot who can load up for one timers from the left side half boards / faceoff circle. When he wasn't down low or in front of the net, that's where Kesler circles.

Kesler is quite fast in retrieving loose pucks, strong on the puck down low, winning puck battles to retain possession so that Henrik could resume his thing.

He was also the net front presence that provides screens / deflects shots. Ehrhoff's ability to get shots through served both of them, but this function ironically, could be referred to as "standing around waiting for the puck", in a positive sense, something he's expected to do in that role. The idea that he's been standing around waiting for pucks since Ehrhoff left is hard to take seriously. Ehrhoff played the right side on the point on the powerplay. The majority of his passing was to Henrik on the right halfboards, or cross ice to his opposing blueliner, who was then more apt to feed Kesler than Ehrhoff.

Alex Edler, in Ehrhoff's absence, picked up a great deal of Ehrhoff's production, scoring 22 powerplay points the year Ehrhoff left.

The Canucks powerplay this year had a bit of a modified look parking Daniel to the right side of the net, feeding him down low, looking for cross ice passes to Kesler, whether he was looking for open space for the one timer or going to the net - but even so, it looked pretty stagnant.

That is nonsense.

Kesler had three key functions in the ozone on the powerplay and none of them were dependent upon Christian Ehrhoff.

I disagree.

Maybe they weren't completely reliant on Ehrhoff, but go back and check how many of his goals in his career season were either tips in front of the net, or rebounds off the pads.

You need a defenseman that can get the puck on net at the perfect height for those goals to be scored. Ehrhoff was a master at getting pucks on net. Garrison and Edler on the other hand couldn't hit the net all season. More of their shots went off of forwards shin pads than anywhere near the net.

His pp stat padding in 10/11 amounted to a whopping 4 points. In 10/11 on the 1st unit with the Sedins he had 30 pp points. The previous season playing 2nd unit with Raymond and Samuelsson he had 26 pp points. It was actually the Sedins who had a big increase in pp production when Kesler joined them. Oddly the 2nd unit had a big drop in 10/11 without Kesler. That would seem to indicate it was in fact Kesler that was the driving force on the pp for the 09/10 and 10/11 seasons.

Agree with you in large part - as is probably clear from my last post. Kesler's right handed shot, strength on the boards, and net front presence are very important complements to the Sedins, and in addition, the Selke in him allows the blueline to take more risks, pinch more often, and he cuts down the amount of time out of possession with his elite puck hounding.

I disagree.

Maybe they weren't completely reliant on Ehrhoff, but go back and check how many of his goals in his career season were either tips in front of the net, or rebounds off the pads.

You need a defenseman that can get the puck on net at the perfect height for those goals to be scored. Ehrhoff was a master at getting pucks on net. Garrison and Edler on the other hand couldn't hit the net all season. More of their shots went off of forwards shin pads than anywhere near the net.

Yeah. I pointed that out DeNiro. The point you're missing - the claim that is nonsense is that Kesler has been standing around waiting for the puck since Ehrhoff left. Ehrhoff has a solid knack for getting shots through traffic and on goal, but ironically. as I said, that is an instance where Kesler is supposed to be standing around waiting for pucks. Aside from that net front presence, Kesler, off the left half boards, was not the guy that Ehrhoff, on the right point, was playing catch with. In other words, "Kesler standing around" is not the problem with the powerplay.

Id rather have Pouliot and a 1st from Pittsburgh. Etem and 10th is an ok trade, but not good enough to warrant Kesler to a division rival.

What are the odds that we play them in a game he's healthy? 25%/50% I'm ok with him going to a rival.

I really like Kes and hope he stays because I think he's the kind of player that's hard to replace, but despite his repeated statements that he wants to stay here I can't help but wonder if him saying no to playing in the World Tournament has something to do with not wanting to risk an injury in case a trade does happen, especially since Torts is still here as of now and even he admitted to having trouble coaching Kesler for at least part of the season.

Of course, it really could be as simple as he's played a lot of hockey this season and just wants a rest and some time off with his family to recharge his batteries. I hope that's the case.

I really like Kes and hope he stays because I think he's the kind of player that's hard to replace, but despite his repeated statements that he wants to stay here I can't help but wonder if him saying no to playing in the World Tournament has something to do with not wanting to risk an injury in case a trade does happen, especially since Torts is still here as of now and even he admitted to having trouble coaching Kesler for at least part of the season.

Of course, it really could be as simple as he's played a lot of hockey this season and just wants a rest and some time off with his family to recharge his batteries. I hope that's the case.

He played injured in the Olympics. He obviously just wants to relax, no point going to a lesser tournament.

Torts is still here as of now and even he admitted to having trouble coaching Kesler for at least part of the season.

Do you have a link to a quote for this?

Not trying to cross examine, but I would like to see it. It would back up the speculation that the teams leadership wants Torts gone. Kesler in particular, and that his "trade demand" was a political powerplay against the coach.

I would assume most veteran players with families are better off passing on the world's. The body takes time to recover and a long off season every now and then goes a long way towards extending a NHL career.

Really surprised Bieksa is going.

He has recent injuries and kids,

I would assume most veteran players with families are better off passing on the world's. The body takes time to recover and a long off season every now and then goes a long way towards extending a NHL career.

Really surprised Bieksa is going.

He has recent injuries and kids,

Angry at the year and something to prove?

Guest Dasein

What are the odds that we play them in a game he's healthy? 25%/50% I'm ok with him going to a rival.

No way. Not with the new playoff format.

You play within your division the first 2 rounds of playoffs. You don't want to trade a guy like Kesler within your division unless you get something guaranteed to be just as good if not better.

No way. Not with the new playoff format.

You play within your division the first 2 rounds of playoffs. You don't want to trade a guy like Kesler within your division unless you get something guaranteed to be just as good if not better.

My point was he's always injured, what's it matter. He's getting older as well and we are sure to see even more injurys in the coming years. Trade him to the ducks it's only going to hurt them in the long run.

Guest Dasein

My point was he's always injured, what's it matter. He's getting older as well and we are sure to see even more injurys in the coming years. Trade him to the ducks it's only going to hurt them in the long run.

Kesler plays through injuries when things matter, and he performs just fine. He's not 30 yet. There's still game in him.

Imagine the Ducks rolling out Getzlaf's line and then Kesler's right after. Who are we going to throw over the boards against them, Henrik and Horvat? Let's not kid ourselves. Horvat is a good prospect, but it'll be a few years until he gets to where Kesler is. Trading Kesler to Anaheim is signing off on our playoff hopes LONG-TERM.

Without Kesler, we are not going to make the playoffs for the next 4-5 years.

San Jose has Thornton, Couture and Pavelski. LA has Kopitar, Richards and Stoll. Anaheim right now has Getzlaf and Koivu. Keeping Kesler is the only way we remain somewhat competitive in the Pacific division.

Archived