The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Draft Virtanen!

1SportsLover1

Your rant is childish. The ones you are quoting are the oldest ones. Draft orders change right up to the draft.

I want to correct you about the CSA. I believe its called the CSS and he was ranked 6th for North American Skaters. Again one of the oldest draft rankings.

I appreciate you bringing a rarely used ID to rage around but it doesnt add much to the conversation.

6th North American skater =/= 6th overall. And the latest ISS rankings still put him at 10th. He's falling mate. His assists are really all you need to look at to know something is up. Low hockey IQ.

Craig Button sure had some unkind things to say about Virtanen at the U18's. Seems to think he has a very low hockey IQ.

Yup he is a kid with a minimal chance of making it. Talent is worth 10% Heart is everything! I feel sorry for the team that ends up with him.

Perlini.. Forgot about him.. He quickly fell out of the #6 talk huh? Doubt he even goes top 10... Don`t know why he didn`t get that much Ice-Time for Canada.. He was the 2nd best forward behind Virtanen

From what I saw he wasn't very impressive at all. I don't know why he's a top 10 consideration honestly, I might not even take him in the top 15-20 myself.

Yup he is a kid with a minimal chance of making it. Talent is worth 10% Heart is everything! I feel sorry for the team that ends up with him.

We get it you're a Ritchie fanboy. But to say he has a minimal chance of success is ignorant. Ritchie is fat, happy? He has 2 good strides gets beat down the ice. Who wants that against San Jose, not me.

Look I can be a fan boy too. Virtanen is the next Corey Perry, game changer. Has all the tools to be Corey Perry herp derp false facts. Virtanen is Ovechkin who actually plays defence. Better draft him. Herp derp. Ritchie too fat, next Pyatt hate to draft that guy, can't skate herp.

I wouldn't mind taking Virtanen. Fantastic shot. Fantastic skater. Built to play in the west. The knock on him is his hockey sense. That can be coached, the physical attributes not so much.

I'm still hoping for one of the top 5 to fall.

hockey sense can't be coached and if we're drafting sixth or higher, which we haven't done since the sedin's well hockey sense is pretty darn important sorry

we have a chance at an elite player. someone else mentioned at worst we get a third liner who can hit etc...well 6th overall can't be a third liner!

not saying that's what this kid is but there are much better players available

I believe alot of people are simply focused on the fact he's local, this is not enough, we need elite talent in our future prospect pool to make up for the eventual loss of Henrik, this should be the focus this year with this pick.

I was able to catch a few games of the U18 for team Canada on TSN. From what I saw Virtanen really likes to have the puck on his stick. That is a good and bad thing.

At times he had teammates wide open and would opt out to try and beat his opponent one on one, and tried to take a lot of shots. I like him because he is physical and shoot first mentality but his ability to use his teammates is quite poor. His play is resemblence of trying to bully the game around, trying to outskate the opposition and drive to the net.

I know thats a small sample size for the U18 tournament, but hearing that he isn't always a great team player and very one dimensional does not make him super appealing at 6th overall.

Offensive and physical brand of hockey can always be taught and learned, but if you dont have an ounce of hockey sense and little hockey IQ you will not be effective in the new NHL.

Honestly no one at the 6th position assuming the top 5 prospects are taken, is very exciting nor better than one another. Each player Virtanen, Ehlers, Ritchie and Nylander all have upside but downsides that all even out on each other. No one really beats each other out.

Mackenzie 8th

Button mock 6th

ISS 9th

CSA 6th

Average fan 7th

Not cuz he's a BC boy, because he's a 17 year old 40 goal scorer

you HEARD he sucks

you HEARD he's dumb

Our fantastic CDC scouts that hate on people just because, try watching some games before they can comment.. When compared to Booth, its stylstic, not ceiling.. If we draft him everyones gonna be on his nuttz.. Guarantee less then 5% of ppl here wanted Horvat.. More said Shinkaruk at 9 then Horvat.. Now those same ppl who talked smack say they wouldnt deal him for Kane.. I got an idea, lets draft Beach?

If uve only seen a game or two and some highlights, dont bother posting false info on the boards

I think people are talking about the stupid penalties he takes, and he does take a lot of them. A faster and less skilled version of Corey Perry is a fair comparison.

I was able to catch a few games of the U18 for team Canada on TSN. From what I saw Virtanen really likes to have the puck on his stick. That is a good and bad thing.

At times he had teammates wide open and would opt out to try and beat his opponent one on one, and tried to take a lot of shots. I like him because he is physical and shoot first mentality but his ability to use his teammates is quite poor. His play is resemblence of trying to bully the game around, trying to outskate the opposition and drive to the net.

I know thats a small sample size for the U18 tournament, but hearing that he isn't always a great team player and very one dimensional does not make him super appealing at 6th overall.

Offensive and physical brand of hockey can always be taught and learned, but if you dont have an ounce of hockey sense and little hockey IQ you will not be effective in the new NHL.

Honestly no one at the 6th position assuming the top 5 prospects are taken, is very exciting nor better than one another. Each player Virtanen, Ehlers, Ritchie and Nylander all have upside but downsides that all even out on each other. No one really beats each other out.

It seems weird to me that him not passing is a huge issue when he has 4-5 years to learn to use his teammates. And this style works pretty nicely for Kesler too. A shoot 1st winger is what we been crying for one comes along and we use it as a negative. How many hesitant shooters must we endure? Ehlers, Virtanen or a top 5 drop out. Get er Dun.

hockey sense can't be coached and if we're drafting sixth or higher, which we haven't done since the sedin's well hockey sense is pretty darn important sorry

we have a chance at an elite player. someone else mentioned at worst we get a third liner who can hit etc...well 6th overall can't be a third liner!

not saying that's what this kid is but there are much better players available

I believe alot of people are simply focused on the fact he's local, this is not enough, we need elite talent in our future prospect pool to make up for the eventual loss of Henrik, this should be the focus this year with this pick.

sorry to say, but this draft is weak. To address what you want to address we'd have to move up for Bennett or Draisaitl. This is the reason I say if nobody falls and we can't move up, trade down. None of these guys being mentioned at 6th are worth a top 10 pick.

Drop back, get a good young player we need to do so, and take Alex Tuch, Haydn Fleury or whoever drops from the top 10.

It seems weird to me that him not passing is a huge issue when he has 4-5 years to learn to use his teammates. And this style works pretty nicely for Kesler too. A shoot 1st winger is what we been crying for one comes along and we use it as a negative. How many hesitant shooters must we endure? Ehlers, Virtanen or a top 5 drop out. Get er Dun.

The passing and using of teammates is a problem, but t when a player is said to have poor Hockey IQ is quite troubling.

Hockey IQ consists of knowing and anticipating what the play is going to be, how it sets up and how to execute it properly. Knowing tendencies of the momentum, how other players will react and how teammates will react. It also means knowing where to be at the right time on the ice whether offensively and defensively. believe it or not, but having high Hockey IQ separates the skill of an average player to a very good player.

Im sure Virtanen can be a good hockey player and very well could learn to develop a better hockey IQ, but that is a lot of hope you are pinning on a guy at the 6th overall pick.

The passing and using of teammates is a problem, but t when a player is said to have poor Hockey IQ is quite troubling.

Hockey IQ consists of knowing and anticipating what the play is going to be, how it sets up and how to execute it properly. Knowing tendencies of the momentum, how other players will react and how teammates will react. It also means knowing where to be at the right time on the ice whether offensively and defensively. believe it or not, but having high Hockey IQ separates the skill of an average player to a very good player.

Im sure Virtanen can be a good hockey player and very well could learn to develop a better hockey IQ, but that is a lot of hope you are pinning on a guy at the 6th overall pick.

Peoples only example of his IQ being low is not passing enough. How does that mean he has a low IQ. He has tunnel vision for sure but he can be taught to move the puck more. Until someone not Button says he's brain dead hockey IQ wise I'm not buying it.

And then he ranked him 6th, after severely misplacing him at like 41st earlier.

Quite plain as day that Button shouldn't be listened to.

He didn't rank him sixth. He had the Canucks taking him sixth in his mock draft. He ranked him 41st on his last Craig's List, which is a talent evaluation list. He obviously thinks there's a very good chance the Canucks will make what he considers to be a huge mistake draft day.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=117253

He didn't rank him sixth. He had the Canucks taking him sixth in his mock draft. He ranked him 41st on his last Craig's List, which is a talent evaluation list. He obviously thinks there's a very good chance the Canucks will make what he considers to be a huge mistake draft day.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=117253

His list is just plain awful. :picard:

His list is just plain awful. :picard:

His results are actually quite good if you back check his lists. He is a professional at this stuff, after all.

He was very enthusiastic about Ben Hutton when the Canucks drafted him in the fifth round, for example. Hated the Alex Mallet pick.

He was at a party I was at last Saturday. Didn't see him, but still pretty cool

He'd better not be a Kassian/Seguin/Kane party animal. That's the last thing we need here.

I'd take a chance on him at 36 if he does fall to the 2nd round like Button thinks, but not a chance with the 6th.

He'd better not be a Kassian/Seguin/Kane party animal. That's the last thing we need here.

I'd take a chance on him at 36 if he does fall to the 2nd round like Button thinks, but not a chance with the 6th.

Seguin had a pretty good year. On ice results are all the matter.

Archived