The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why the Canucks should draft Jake Virtanen

canucks155

If you mean Henrik and Daniel Sedin, then maybe. . We have no other high end talent to get bullied or not get bullied.

Henrik is 6ft 2 and Danny 6ft 1. If these guys get 'beat up' , its their own fault. They seem pretty resilient however. . The problem is we have no high end skill . Zack Kassian is about it for our young forwards. He is a power forward. We got Jensen who is 6ft 2 or 3 I believe. Gaunce who is 6ft 2. Horvat is as stocky as they come.

So it stands to reason we have lots of big prospects. Schroeder is not going to be an NHL pro so lets throw him out. The only prospect we have that is undersized is Hunter Shinkaruk. . Our team is not small by any stretch. in fact, we were one one of the biggest brawling teams last year.

When you have a chance to draft elite level speed and skill, you do it. We are not deficient on size.

exactly what i have been saying, people are saying size size size! but they are looking at the roster today, not our prospects, who have size.

what we lack in the prospect group, outside shinkaruk is elite skill

Virtanen has some good highlights, but I noticed in a lot of them he's just bowling through the D, sometimes knocking them right on their asses, then driving the net. My concern is there's no way he's going to do that that easily against equally, and often bigger sized NHL d-men.

For our drafting to improve Ron Delorme will have to invent a time machine.

I think the main person in charge of Canucks drafting is Eric Crawford.....Gillis promoted him...Crawford was instrumental in the 2013 picks and the pickup of Kassisn over Hodgson.

Virtanen has some good highlights, but I noticed in a lot of them he's just bowling through the D, sometimes knocking them right on their asses, then driving the net. My concern is there's no way he's going to do that that easily against equally, and often bigger sized NHL d-men.

That`s like pretty much every young junior player though. All of them have to adapt their game at the next level in some way or another.

That`s why things like hockey IQ and drive to succeed are probably the most crucial part of drafting. They`re also the hardest to measure as well though.

Yeah, I was watching as well. Too bad about the result (especially that giveaway)

But as to Virtanen's game today: to be fair, the Czechs were playing things pretty tight against Canada's top players for most of that game. Virtanen's not the only one who was finding it hard to break through their defense.

There were some flashes where he looked like a potential game breaker. He just wasn't able to put it all together today (and he was also a little unlucky at times).

I did occasionally notice his limited vision when it comes to making plays at full speed on the rush. He just doesn't look like a guy who thinks the game quick enough when things are moving at full speed. When the game's been slowed down and he has a little more time and space (like on the PP), he looked quite good making plays and finding teammates (they just didn't find the back of the net).

I was bothered by his tendency to hold the puck too long when carrying on the rush. He went end to end a couple times only to go behind the net and swing it out front to nobody (which was a little too "à la Mason Raymond" for my liking). Turned some good odd man situations into one-and-outs and just didn't seem to have the vision necessary to find teammates when handling the puck at top speed.

That all said, it's not really fair to judge anyone on the basis of one game. And this one wasn't one of his best.

On the positive side, I was impressed with his work on the PP from the left circle and halfboards. His vision and hockey sense looked better than advertised in those situations.

But when the game was moving at very high speed, he sometimes seemed to suffer from a little bit of "tunnel vision."

This certainly shouldn't effect his ability to score goals but it could limit his playmaking ability (especially at the highest level).

As for those "discipline issues" that Craig Button seems to love focusing on, they don't really bother me. I think those aspects of his game will be easily ironed out with age and experience.

Excellent synopsis of the game and Jake's performance.

The vision issue stuck out the most for me, but then one can always find something negative to say about any player.

He just didn't stand out at all today except for some of the bugaboos that have been mentioned in this thread, mainly the dumb penalty and the give away that led to a Czech goal.

Otherwise, he is one of, if not the youngest player on the team and he still led the team in scoring. Not sure if that says more about his play, or the play of his teammates.

Excellent synopsis of the game and Jake's performance.

The vision issue stuck out the most for me, but then one can always find something negative to say about any player.

He just didn't stand out at all today except for some of the bugaboos that have been mentioned in this thread, mainly the dumb penalty and the give away that led to a Czech goal.

Otherwise, he is one of, if not the youngest player on the team and he still led the team in scoring. Not sure if that says more about his play, or the play of his teammates.

Once he learns to play within himself he will settle down. I am seeing a lot of TJ Oshie in Virtanen. I hope we can swing a deal to get the #10 pick so we can snag him. :)

He looks as slow if not slower then Hodgson to me... lol. I've only watched one highlight package though...

ya his skating worries me...alot of people say well henrik isn't fast, joe thornton isnt fast so yes players can over come it but in our prospect pool we have few players gamebreaking speed..we need speed/size and talent...if we're going to pass on anything given our prospects and the size we have in that group, i'd pass on size at the expense of speed...

its a faster game now and as i have said many times, ya nice to have all three but you can manage choosing a smaller player this year because of the composition of our prospects

people keep saying size size size because we need that NOW....well news to all, whomever we draft isn't for NOW..he's for 4 years down the road so you have to think AHEAD and the composition of the team THEN not think who we draft in June is going to step in and solve our CURRENT issues...

We should pick Dal Colle if still available in which I think he will be.

I picture the draft going like so:

1. Florida- Ekblad

2. Buffalo- Reinhart

3. Edmonton- Bennett

4. Calgary- Ritchie

5. Isles- Draisaitl

6. Us- Dal Colle

Dal Colle is a Jensen like better yet somewhat better. Can play both wing and Center. Most comfortable with the wing. Dal Colle is the right choice for this organization. Has a bright future. Sorry Virtanen might end up in the hands of the canes.

Once he learns to play within himself he will settle down. I am seeing a lot of TJ Oshie in Virtanen. I hope we can swing a deal to get the #10 pick so we can snag him. :)

Or just pick him at 6, because he's ranked there by NHL central scouting anyway. Hey I think your post and my post have been said hundreds of times now. And it's still April.

He looks as slow if not slower then Hodgson to me... lol. I've only watched one highlight package though...

Really slow. He'll need to work on his skating quite a bit. If it improves, he'll be a very nice center to have. But is the desire and will to win there? Not sure.

We should pick Dal Colle if still available in which I think he will be.

I picture the draft going like so:

1. Florida- Ekblad

2. Buffalo- Reinhart

3. Edmonton- Bennett

4. Calgary- Ritchie

5. Isles- Draisaitl

6. Us- Dal Colle

Dal Colle is a Jensen like better yet somewhat better. Can play both wing and Center. Most comfortable with the wing. Dal Colle is the right choice for this organization. Has a bright future. Sorry Virtanen might end up in the hands of the canes.

That would be great if we could get Dal Colle. I pick him over Draisaitl.

I'm failing to see the comparison. Virtanen is a fairly stocky guy known for physical play to generate goals.. Oshie is a smaller guy with slick hands and a finesse game...

Archived