The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2014 IIHF World Championship Thread (Bieksa named Captain)

This IIHF World CUP is a bit of a joke. Sorry but the quality of play is more than brutal. I watch specific players. Malkin to the rescue.

The only thing the Euros can teach Canada is that every ice surface in the NHL should have been converted to the bigger ice surface decades ago. It gives more room to the offense and promotes

more speed back into the game.

The problem with the international ice surface is that the extra ice is on the boards, behind the net and in the neutral zone, not in front of the net

The distance between the goal line and the blue line is actually 6 feet shorter on the international surface, look at the trouble Canada has keeping the puck inside the blue line in the middle of the ice.

Just tuned in. Burrows out with a knee injury? #@*#! This will no doubt affect his start to the upcoming season again.

Cody is looking good. Sure would be lucky to be the team that drafted him.

I would like to see what Kassian could do on the big ice with that big body and silky passes.

Ward is a very solid player // I wonder how he would do with the Twins?

You mean a return of the reverse-oreo line or the 3 Bro's line? Anson Carter says hi!

Is it even politically-correct for people to name line-combos as such these days? Go figure!

More trapping and less goals..did you watch the Olys.

I don't know how many times, in how many threads, I've said this: The International ice surface does not lead to more offence. In fact it does the opposite. It gives defenders more space to recover and angle off on rushing players.

I think you'd see more offence on a international ice surface. You cant compare a elimination game from the highest level of hockey that comes around every four years to a NHL regular season game.

How about just call interference hooking and obstruction. So many times you'll see someone about to blow past a defensemen only to be tied up.

I think you'd see more offence on a international ice surface. You cant compare a elimination game from the highest level of hockey that comes around every four years to a NHL regular season game.

How about just call interference hooking and obstruction. So many times you'll see someone about to blow past a defensemen only to be tied up.

How about the day to day games in European leagues? Are they known for having a ton of goal scoring?

The width of the Intl rinks weed out marginal skating skills and elevates the importance of stick skill- maintaining possession of the puck.

The North American game relies upon and emphasizes brute force to retrieve and possess the puck.

I prefer to see skills displayed.

Archived