The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Blue Buffalo being sued by Purina

AppleJack

Edit. Here's the web info I found.

http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/purina-sues-blue-buffalo-over-false-advertising-157501

From Blue's site

http://bluebuffalo.com/news/nestle-purina-response-2

It just came to my attention that Purina is suing Blue Buffalo for 'lying' about their ingredients and that now Blue is countersuing Purina.

Purina is owned by nestle. It's one of the worse pet foods on the market. The vet said that it's like feeding your pet McDonald's. It's pretty much slightly better then whiskers and friskies.

So I am having my doubts about Purina's claims but on the other hand can a big corporation like nestle just sue an smaller family run company for no good reason? Why would they even do that? So I also now am having concerns about Blue.

I feed Gilly Blue Buffallo's weight control wildness dry cat food. So I am a little concerned and not sure if I should switch her.

Does anyone have any information on this? Would you keep your pet on this food if a big corporation was suing them for lying about their ingredients?

I want to have a discussion with other pet parents to see what the best course of action is.

(I can submit a link to the letter Blue Buffallo posted earlier about this issue after work.)

My pets hated Purina... Saw a doc on how thier treats(and other companies) made a bunch of cats and dogs sick and some where fatal. My cat had to be put down due to kidney disease and she was a indoor cat that didnt make it to ten. I know in my heart it was from those dam Whiskas Temptations treats. FWIW I never saw or had any problems with Iams and thier products came highly recommended from multiple vets.

When I first brought Gilly home she was being fed Iams and the vet actually told me to take her off of it and recommended I put her on a grain free healthier food. I told him I had done research and that blue sounded like a good food and wasn't stupid expensive and he said it was a good food if you couldn't afford the premium foods.

Gilly won't even eat the whiskers temptation treats, she only eats blues treats or pure bites.

My main concern is that I am not sure if it's legal for nestle/purina to make these type of claims against Blue without some kind of proof? Then again the fact Blue is counter-suing makes me think Purina's off its rocker.

I don't even know if it's possible to switch Gilly's dry food she is super picky.

I do know that purina killed a bunch of pets a few years back because they use meat sourced from China.

I really wish north America had some kind of pet food regulation put in place. To many animals are getting sick or dying (so sorry to hear about your cat) because of these foods.

If you are wondering about the quality of the pet food I would head the advice of the vet.

Big companies sue little ones and vice versa because they can. They are the competition. If you can stick it to the competition you do.

Once lawyers and ad execs are involved I wouldn't worry about who is right or wrong anymore, just go with what the vet recommends.

If you are wondering about the quality of the pet food I would head the advice of the vet.

Big companies sue little ones and vice versa because they can. They are the competition. If you can stick it to the competition you do.

Once lawyers and ad execs are involved I wouldn't worry about who is right or wrong anymore, just go with what the vet recommends.

the thing is even if blue buffalo lied about ingredients I guarantee it is still 100x better for your pet then that other garbage and the only stuff better is the top dollar premium foods.

The cost of good healthy food should be included in any budget when getting a pet. Just like with kids feed them well and they will be much healthier. Feed them junk and the issues never stop.

If I switched Gilly to another food it would be another healthy food since I rather pay extra in food costs then vet costs!

My sisters kitty malick is on healthy food now but spent most of his life eating whiskers and he has dibetes now. He quality of life is way less then Gilly's (mind you he is way older) and he has to have two shots of insulin a day costing my sister a lot of money to keep him alive.

I remember when I first got my dog, I went to the petcetera and told the sales staff I was feeding him Purina and immediately she was like, "are you serious?!?"

She then basically hinted that I should go something more premium and less big-brand.

Eventually switched out to Evo, then to Orijens and now Acana.

I'm not too familiar with Blue Buffalo, but even if they're over-reaching in terms of quality (all just an accusation at this point) it's still way way better than whatever big brand companies sells.

Big companies sue smaller competitors to try to make them bankrupt through litigation. Unfortunately its the American way to sue , sue, sue. The bigger company dominates, lawyers get paid and smaller companies get steamrolled. Its the American dream.

if you care about your pets you should be feeding them higher quality food like Fromm. Blue buffalo looks decent, but if they actually were lying about their ingredients then they are no better than the big cheap brands.

if you care about your pets you should be feeding them higher quality food like Fromm. Blue buffalo looks decent, but if they actually were lying about their ingredients then they are no better than the big cheap brands.

FROMM was one of the brands I was looking into switching as its cheaper then Blue and is sold in my local pet store... I am not sure if it's grain free though and that was something important to me.

Also I have tried switching her to another brand (for cost wise) that was healthy but she refused to eat it.

FROMM was one of the brands I was looking into switching as its cheaper then Blue and is sold in my local pet store... I am not sure if it's grain free though and that was something important to me.

Also I have tried switching her to another brand (for cost wise) that was healthy but she refused to eat it.

fromm has many different types of food, their 4 star nutritionals are grain free (and they say it on the packaging), and my dog absolutely loves all their flavors.

http://frommfamily.com/products/four-star/cat

fromm was highly endorsed by our vets (both in chicago and here in seattle) and by the woman we bought our dog from (she was a failed show dog so she came super cheap, but the woman pampered the hell of her show dogs)

I think I am going to buy a small bag of Fromm and try it. I still have some blue left and can mix it so she won't get sick, maybe get tricked. The pet store near my house sells it for 16 dollars a bag (I believe TS got some to try on his kitty) and it seems like a good quality food. Blue costs 28 dollars and is only sold at petsmart or bosley's... I rather go to the smaller stores and give them business.

I had no issues with Blue in the past and even if these rumors are false I think feeding Gilly a cheaper but also healthy brand is okay. I can always still buy the blue treats she really loves those things!

I remember when I first got my dog, I went to the petcetera and told the sales staff I was feeding him Purina and immediately she was like, "are you serious?!?"

She then basically hinted that I should go something more premium and less big-brand.

Eventually switched out to Evo, then to Orijens and now Acana.

I'm not too familiar with Blue Buffalo, but even if they're over-reaching in terms of quality (all just an accusation at this point) it's still way way better than whatever big brand companies sells.

Evo, Orijen and Acana are all awesome. All natural, with NO fillers.

Peter griffin would have something to say about this post.

But yea that's terrible that purina would feed animals food that isn't good for them. What's almost as worse is that people cage animals when they are meant to live freely in the wild.

I guess some like it and love their owners but for example birds shouldn't be clipped and caged. That's the sickest thing I can think of doing. Take away a being's transportation means and put it behind bars. I'm getting myself mad here.

I have an overweight orange tabby, can anyone suggest a good food for her? I've tried a few, iams, hills, and a bunch of brands I can't remember but it doesn't seem to do her any good. I noticed that a lot of orange cats are big in general and a bit overweight(hey look at Garfield) but I've tried a few different things to no avail. I asked a local pet store about Fromm but they suggested against it due to its high calorie content. Anyone with some knowledge that can comment would be greatly appreciated.

Archived