The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Nick Ritchie] Junior Point totals vs Getzlaf, Lucic, and Nash

Merci

Yes he is the complete package and the most probable player to go from the draft straight into the NHL

I disagree, he needs more time in Junior IMO. Maybe even the full stint in Junior like Kassian. Consistency is his biggest weakness so throwing him into the NHL wouldn't be a good idea.

I think the most probable is probably Ekblad.

I disagree, he needs more time in Junior IMO. Maybe even the full stint in Junior like Kassian. Consistency is his biggest weakness so throwing him into the NHL wouldn't be a good idea.

I think the most probable is probably Ekblad.

He's not the most ready but he's already better than Sestito or Hansen

I don't think a 4th year in the OHL against 16 year olds will do him any good. Let him get 9 minutes a game with a team that starts rolling 4 lines.

I don't think a 4th year in the OHL against 16 year olds will do him any good. Let him get 9 minutes a game with a team that starts rolling 4 lines.

Yea I don't really see what he needs to prove in the OHL. Maybe his conditioning? He can do that with the big club though. Never really been a fan of putting a high pick in 3rd/4th line but it's good for him to get a sniff of the Sedins and Kesler while he can

Oiler fan he wont be going before Ekblad and Rienhart your team wont pick him he is out of the top 5 :bigblush: ps this is what you really mean by your name Smash Kassian because your butt still hurt that Gags the spitter had to stop what oilers do best!

Is this even English?

Hey Absent plz find me 5 more players at 230lbs with similar Juniour numbers ill be right here.

Ehlers played with Drouin man, get over him. He'll play RW with Jordan Staal and get 30 goals, then the Hurricans will miss the playoffs as they had no defense, and the Canucks will be watching a line of

Ritchie Horvat and Kassian absolutely destroy the competition with superior play in every facet

Gotta admit, that would be lethal.

In his draft year, Pyatt also played with Norm Milley (Junior superstar) who got 120 points, and Mike Fisher who got 106 points. Both outscored Pyatt by 30+ points each that year (Pyatt had 75 in 68 games).

Meanwhile, Ritchie lead his team by 12 points and 14 goals this year (74 in 61 games).

Not very comprisable really.

Good points

Ritchie as high as 1st overall

From Sportsnet:

No need for a program if you’re looking for Nick Ritchie: At six-foot-three and 235 pounds, the only thing

on the ice that’s as big as him cleans the ice between periods.

NHL Central Scouting Bureau has designated Ritchie as an A prospect in its preliminary rankings, the category probable first-rounders fall into.

I buttonholed a scout at the game and bounced the CSB’s evaluation off him. He didn’t blink.

“I have him first in North America,” the scout said. “I’d have to see more of any European kids, but I

wouldn’t have any problem with him as first overall.”

“Nick has a great motor compared to his brother Brett,” the scout said. “He’s all-in on every shift. He goes to the net like there’s no one on the ice with him, and he always gets there.”

He’ll have a shot of playing for a NHL team straight out of the draft.

Consider the testimony of another witness, an opponent who has faced Ritchie at different levels and

different venues over the years. “He’s special” this current OHL player said, asking his name be withheld. “He’s already Nathan Horton size. That’s (whom) I’d compare him to. He has really good hands and an above-average pro-level shot. Everything about it is amazing — release, power, accuracy. He’s so solid on his skates. I went at him last year, and he stood me right up and sent me flying into the boards. And when he fights, he manhandles guys. He beat up (Oshawa’s) Justice Dundas, a respected fighter (in the preseason). He’s gonna be one hell of a player.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/scout-petes-ritchie-is-no-1-ranked-prospect/

Interesting

I wonder if:

1. Ekblad

2. Reinhart

3. Bennett

4. Ritchie

5. Dal Colle

6. Draisaitl

I would cry

Problem with this comparison is that you are comparing OHL numbers to WHL numbers.

The leagues are completely different. I think it's easier for him to dominate smaller, skilled players in the OHL. Whereas WHL teams tend to load up on alot of guys who are 6 foot plus.

I really hope we don't take Ritchie... Enough with the size over everything idea. The skilled game we used to play got us to a Stanley cup final game 7, I don't think that's too bad.

It was nice of the OP to cherry pick players to compare but as other posters above have said, he's actually more comparable to Pyatt and Bernier. Ritchie simply does not have the skills Getzlaf and Perry do or the brute toughness Lucic does.

Not even cloae to pyatt and bernier is an insult.

Bernier the gentle giant would t hit a fly. Ritchies main down aide is too many penalities

Nobody can play at 230. I think Ritchie is far better served to play at 215 or 220 at the most.

Kass was 232 when he got here and is far more effective at 215. He still wins all the battles on the boards. Ritchies foot speed is not the greatest but nobody expects him to be a superstar sniper.

He should be able to crank out 25 goals -even 30 on occasion - and hit 60 points. This is the good scenario for him to match Lucic's totals. He may not, but why not give hm the benefit of the doubt.

I certainly dont take him at 6 but that is only because I feel Ehlers and Nylander are better players.

Jagr 6'3 240

Ilya kovalchuk 6'3 230

Ovechkin 6'3 230

Talylor Pyatt 6'3 235

Dustin Penney 6'4 247

Bertuzzi 6'3 235

All of them except for kovalchuk are nhl regulars. I avoided cherry picking retired players.

Yea I don't really see what he needs to prove in the OHL. Maybe his conditioning? He can do that with the big club though. Never really been a fan of putting a high pick in 3rd/4th line but it's good for him to get a sniff of the Sedins and Kesler while he can

Throwing him into the NHL just because isn't the best way to develop a player.

Ritchie still has improvements to be made, again consistency, he's not consistency a dominant player at the Junior level like he could be. So how would he magically (when thrown into the NHL fire) be a consistent contributor, and with a player like him you don't want to just throw him on the 4th line, you want him to be playing and experiencing being a go-to guy. Being a leader on his team, being an important piece in playoff runs, World Junior's, exc.

Aswell as things like skating (not that its a weakness, but you could always improve) and just maturing.

I don't think anyone we draft unless we somehow end up with Ekblad should be in the NHL next season. Whoever we pick we need this player to turn out, no need to rush them.

Jagr 6'3 240

Ilya kovalchuk 6'3 230

Ovechkin 6'3 230

Talylor Pyatt 6'3 235

Dustin Penney 6'4 247

Bertuzzi 6'3 235

All of them except for kovalchuk are nhl regulars. I avoided cherry picking retired players.

Kovalchuk & Ovechkin (generational talents) are the only ones who aren't slow. Ritchie could play at 230 but he would be better served getting lighter like Kassian did IMO.

Ritchie still has improvements to be made, again consistency, he's not consistency a dominant player at the Junior level like he could be. So how would he magically (when thrown into the NHL fire) be a consistent contributor, and with a player like him you don't want to just throw him on the 4th line, you want him to be playing and experiencing being a go-to guy.

Aswell as things like skating (not that its a weakness, but you could always improve) and just maturing.

I don't think anyone we draft unless we somehow end up with Ekblad should be in the NHL next season. Whoever we pick we need this player to turn out, no need to rush them.

Kovalchuk & Ovechkin (generational talents) are the only ones who aren't slow. Ritchie could play at 230 but he would be better served getting lighter like Kassian did IMO.

Everyone SHOULD go back. Doesn't mean they couldn't play now. Ritchie could play on a 4th line but it wouldn't be good for him or the team.

Bert was never slow until his back went out.

I think 230 will be close to Ritchie's playing weight in his prime. The difference will be his lower % body fat, which has changed a lot by the beginning of the year by all indications, into lean muscle mass. I don't expect he'd need to lose a bunch of weight. Kassian too will probably put on more weight towards his peak years before his foot speed slows down. It's just a transition period. Regardless, as with all of these players, we just have to wait until the combine to get a better idea. Not long now. Should be 3 weeks before we start to hear results.

Ritchie still has improvements to be made, again consistency, he's not consistency a dominant player at the Junior level like he could be. So how would he magically (when thrown into the NHL fire) be a consistent contributor, and with a player like him you don't want to just throw him on the 4th line, you want him to be playing and experiencing being a go-to guy. Being a leader on his team, being an important piece in playoff runs, World Junior's, exc.

Did you just seriously call Jagr slow?

His point totals are also extremely close to Taylor Pyatt's......

His size is very similar too, One thing about Pyatt's numbers is that he had 3 guys with better numbers on his team the year he was drafted, Ritchie is the top point leader on his team by 12 points, he's their best player and has limited help to put up better offensive numbers. He appears not to have a mean streak, that's similar to Pyatt also. Pyatt likely has nicer eyes, lol.

Also his fitness doesn't say much about his work ethic. If we look at only combo of size/skill he is ahead of Virtanen and Perlini, if we factor in intangiable it might be a different story.

I suppose that's why he's not ranked higher

Jagr 6'3 240

Ilya kovalchuk 6'3 230

Ovechkin 6'3 230

Talylor Pyatt 6'3 235

Dustin Penney 6'4 247

Bertuzzi 6'3 235

Chris Stewart is over 230, Joel Ward is just under and of course Milan Lucic is over 230 as well.

In Ritchie's case he needs to drop some fat, but by some accounts he still has room to add to his frame. He probably ends up at 225lb as he's pretty tall, 6'3.

Did you just seriously call Jagr slow?

Wasn't sure if I seen that right too. Probably thinks Nash is slow too....

Ya nowadays he's lacking footspeed.

His prime? No. That's not what I was talking about though. If you are talking about his prime in that list, then he's in that Kovalchuk/Ovechkin category of being generational talent, better yet a legend in his case.

Everyone SHOULD go back. Doesn't mean they couldn't play now. Ritchie could play on a 4th line but it wouldn't be good for him or the team.

Bert was never slow until his back went out.

I think 230 will be close to Ritchie's playing weight in his prime. The difference will be his lower % body fat, which has changed a lot by the beginning of the year by all indications, into lean muscle mass. I don't expect he'd need to lose a bunch of weight. Kassian too will probably put on more weight towards his peak years before his foot speed slows down. It's just a transition period. Regardless, as with all of these players, we just have to wait until the combine to get a better idea. Not long now. Should be 3 weeks before we start to hear results.

Ya he could play because of his size but it would be a huge mistake IMO. There's alot more for him to benefit from in Junior than on the 4th line in Vancouver.

I think trimming down to like 220 would be beneficial for him. But its not really a big concern, we will see as his career progresses if it would be better for him to lose a few pounds or not. It might not be.

Archived