The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Opinion on 6th Overall Pick.

kk0007

So that means he can't develop chemistry with one of our other players?

My hope is that somehow Dal Colle falls, but if that doesn't happen I'd take Draisaitl over guys like Ehlers or Ritchie. The probability for success at the next level is higher for him IMO.

Twins have been playing with each other for their whole lives. They became elite, because they could cycle the puck, and know exactly where they are, on the ice. This is because they played together ever since they were born.

You honestly, think anyone would have the same chemistry? seriously?

The new NHL is all about speed. Small elusive wingers, are ripping it up. It's the big power forwards, who are getting shut down.

So you want Ehlers then?

That doesn't mean there aren't other good players available.

So you want Ehlers then?

No. If it was up to me, I'd trade the pick entirely. Try to package it for Evander Kane. I don't like Evander Kane, but he'll bring more value to us than the 6th pick in a weak draft.

No, but I've seen players develop amazing chemistry together once they reach the NHL.

Naslund/Bertuzzi, Richards/St.Louis, Getzlaf/Perry

None of them, even close to the Twins. Draistaitl looks slow as it is. I can't even imagine him, playing pro right now. He can't keep up with anyone. If you can't keep up with anything, he can't do anything.

At 6th, Canucks are guaranteed at a boom or bust prospect. In fact, outside of the top 2, who should end up being a 2nd pair, and a 2nd line center. Everyone else is a boom or bust. Benett is a guy, who is a project, won't even be ready for the next 3 years.

No. If it was up to me, I'd trade the pick entirely. Try to package it for Evander Kane. I don't like Evander Kane, but he'll bring more value to us than the 6th pick in a weak draft.

Except we can't afford to give up the assets needed to acquire Kane.

Going that route is a much worse option for us than keeping the pick and taking a gamble.

Except we can't afford to give up the assets needed to acquire Kane.

Going that route is a much worse option for us than keeping the pick and taking a gamble.

Who knows. Nobody knows the value of the pick but yeah, guaranteed a boom or bust prospect. So, there's no favorites or stands out for me.

Ritchie? Lol. Tough guy, who has injury issues in junior.

None of them, even close to the Twins. Draistaitl looks slow as it is. I can't even imagine him, playing pro right now. He can't keep up with anyone. If you can't keep up with anything, he can't do anything.

At 6th, Canucks are guaranteed at a boom or bust prospect. In fact, outside of the top 2, who should end up being a 2nd pair, and a 2nd line center. Everyone else is a boom or bust.

Amazing how you seem to have a crystal ball that predicts the future.

Players at 18 are not the same as when they're 22/23. You do realize every player develops their game after they're drafted right?

Lots of players have had knocks on them that they're "too small", "too slow", "not consistent enough". Every player works on these aspects after they're drafted, and trying to predict what kind of player they'll be in 5 years is useless.

All the team can do is pick the best package of attributes they're looking for, and invest as much time in their development as they can. The rest is a crapshoot, and no one can predict the future no matter how much they try.

I would do a two part trade:

To Detroit

Kesler

For 2014 first + one of (Smith, Nyquist or Mantha)

If they do it I would then trade

Our 1st, Det's first, Edler + Hansen for the first overall and gudbranson

If Florida does that, my 1st overall would be;

Reinhart(if Detroit gave us Smith)

Or

Ekblad (if Detroit gave us a Fwd)

Moving Hansen and Kesler opens up 2 fwd spots, moving Edler opens up a d-spot, let Alberts walk.

We then have a solid core coming in 2-3 years and still might get a crack at mcdavid next year.

If Detroit gave us a first plus Mantha....I would be drooling at the mouth that we got Mantha....pure goal scorer. I would keep our first and take a big skilled forward ....Dal Colle, Virtanen, Ritchie.... maybe trade the Detroit 1st and a vet to move up?

So you want Ehlers then?

Anyone but Nylander or Ritchie.

Preferably, Perlini, Virtanen, Ehlers, or Kapanen, if none of the top 5 falls.

Amazing how you seem to have a crystal ball that predicts the future.

Players at 18 are not the same as when they're 22/23. You do realize every player develops their game after they're drafted right?

Lots of players have had knocks on them that they're "too small", "too slow", "not consistent enough". Every player works on these aspects after they're drafted, and trying to predict what kind of player they'll be in 5 years is useless.

All the team can do is pick the best package of attributes they're looking for, and invest as much time in their development as they can. The rest is a crapshoot, and no one can predict the future no matter how much they try.

All i had to do is read the first sentence. Not going to bother with the rest cause your argument is invalid and goes both ways.

We, as spectators, can only judge them from how they are playing now. We can't see into the future, and see how they develop.

We can only judge them, from how we see them now. As 18 year olds. Have you ever seen a draft, since 99, and 07, where the top picks have so many negatives?

I hate people who say this, "You can't tell in the future and blah blah" then go, and say some random kid in the late round turned into a superstar. There's a reason why he was a late pick. Who the hell would've known, that they had a massive development curve. You would literally need a crystal ball, to find that out.

All i had to do is read the first sentence. Not going to bother with the rest.

We, as spectators, can only judge them from how they are playing now. We can't see into the future, and see how they develop.

We can only judge them, from how we see them now. As 18 year olds. Have you ever seen a draft, since 98, and 07, where the top picks have so many negatives?

I've seen guys like Getzlaf and Perry fall to 19th and 28th because of negatives such as skating and intensity.

Every draft year has players go higher than they should, and players that go lower than they should.

when all is said and done Draisaitl could be the best player in the draft, or he could be a huge bust. Pretending to know otherwise at this point is just talking out of your a$$.

All you can really do is follow what the professionals have concluded, and almost every one of them has Draisaitl in the top 5 for a reason. So to go that high despite having as many "negatives" as you claim, shows what an elite player he actually is.

I've seen guys like Getzlaf and Perry fall to 19th and 28th because of negatives such as skating and intensity.

Every draft year has players go higher than they should, and players that go lower than they should.

when all is said and done Draisaitl could be the best player in the draft, or he could be a huge bust. Pretending to know otherwise at this point is just talking out of your a$$.

All you can really do is follow what the professionals have concluded, and almost every one of them has Draisaitl in the top 5 for a reason. So to go that high despite having as many "negatives" as you claim, shows what an elite player he actually is.

C'mon. Everyone in that 1st round turned into a star. Did anyone expect that?

You're right, all you can do is listen to all the professionals. None of them, have said any of these players are going to turn into elite players. All of it, is hype, and crap.

Again. We, and i said it again, are judging how they are "NOW!". Please understand. Whether they have a superior development curve later on their careers and knowing that is moronic. You would truly be a fortune teller, if you could do that.

So, listen to your own words, and stop contradicting yourself, as you usually do.

C'mon. Everyone in that 1st round turned into a star.

You're right, all you can do is listen to all the professionals. None of them, have said any of these players are going to turn into elite players.

That doesn't mean Getzlaf and Perry shouldn't have gone higher in hindsight. Just goes to show no one can predict who the star players will be at 18 years old.

Every draft has elite players. Of course there will be elite players selected, the only question is who they will be. For all we know, the second half of the first round will be better than the first half. Time will tell.

There will also be an elite player available when we select, the only question is whether we let them slip by us, or select them. But I guarantee in 5 years at least one of these players will be top 10 in league scoring.

The article doesn't mention that Ehlers plays on a different line than Drouin.

no he wouldn't. He can't skate.

Yeah his skating is poor but it can be worked on. He doesn't have to be the fastest player on the ice because his vision, hockey IQ will help him without being the fastest.

What an ignorant comment that was, many players had their skating worked on and improved their acceleration, agility and stopping.

But I guarantee in 5 years at least one of these players will be top 10 in league scoring.

DeNiro. Time and time again, I just don't think you get it. I hope sometimes, you listen to what you say and remember it, and realize how truly moronic some things you say are.

First, we're talking about who we should draft in the 6th overall, now you are talking about that there's going to be a elite player in the draft somewhere. How is it relevant?

For the 10x time I've said it. You've said it as well. You draft, based on how good they are now and none of them are elite players. Whether or not they develop properly is irrelevant, because unless you can tell the future, no one can predict these things.

Whether there is a elite player that comes out of the draft doesn't matter.

Twins have been playing with each other for their whole lives. They became elite, because they could cycle the puck, and know exactly where they are, on the ice. This is because they played together ever since they were born.

You honestly, think anyone would have the same chemistry? seriously?

You honestly think if we drafted Draisatl with his eerily similar playing style he wouldn't learn from them?

The article doesn't mention that Ehlers plays on a different line than Drouin.

Yeah his skating is poor but it can be worked on. He doesn't have to be the fastest player on the ice because his vision, hockey IQ will help him without being the fastest.

What an ignorant comment that was, many players had their skating worked on and improved their acceleration, agility and stopping.

The problem here, is too many think of the players as objects and don't realize the full story. Everyone is different. When Draistal is having keeping balance on his skates in junior, it is a huge concern.

Successful Centers need to play a full two-way game. Without speed he is on dimensional. Draistl looks more like, he'll have to turn into a winger in the NHL and be a play making winger. A slow one at that. How attractive does that look, for a top 5 pick?

DeNiro. Time and time again, I just don't think you get it. I hope sometimes, you listen to what you say and remember it, and realize how truly moronic some things you say are.

First, we're talking about who we should draft in the 6th overall, now you are talking about that there's going to be a elite player in the draft somewhere. How is it relevant?

Whether there is a elite player that comes out of the draft doesn't matter.

You just claimed that scouts said there were no elite players in this draft, so how is that not relevant?

Look, I've had arguments with you before and you can't even remember what you said two posts ago. Constantly spinning words and trying to make the other person look confused, when really you just don't have anything of substance to say.

I also recall you saying that Patrick White would be a good player, so I question your ability to judge talent correctly.

Keep pretending to not read my posts though, that's going real well for you. ;)

You honestly think if we drafted Draisatl with his eerily similar playing style he wouldn't learn from them?

This post is even worst than the initial post. From, having chemistry with a player like the twins have chemistry with each other, to building chemistry with the twins.

By the time, Draistl is in his prime, the Twins won't even be in the league. Who cares if Draisatl developed anything with the Twins, if he were drafted here.

Archived