The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Opinion on 6th Overall Pick.

kk0007

You just claimed that scouts said there were no elite players in this draft, so how is that not relevant?

Look, I've had arguments with you before and you can't even remember what you said two posts ago. Constantly spinning words and trying to make the other person look confused, when really you just don't have anything of substance to say.

I also recall you saying that Patrick White would be a good player, so I question your ability to judge talent correctly.

Keep pretending to not read my posts though, that's going real well for you. ;)

I'm trying to sum it up in one sentence, because obviously you don't get it. If you had, then you wouldn't keep responding.

Read this carefully please.

You can only judge a player before the draft. Whatever happens afterwards, doesn't matter because you can't predict it. Get it? Good.

Then, why are you still posting? You last 3 post have been nonsense. The Patrick White argument fits into my argument like a glove.

Should have drafted PK Subban? Cause at the time, not a single soul thought PK Subban would turn into the player he was in 07. Don't come back, years after and say, the shoulda, woulda, coulda crap.

For the last time;

"YOU CAN ONLY JUDGE THEM FROM WHAT THEY DO NOW". That's the 10th times, i've said that. Still, i can only expect a stupid irrelevant post from you. This is why, no one ever remembers or cares about anything you say.

I'm trying to sum it up in one sentence, because obviously you don't get it. If you had, then you wouldn't keep responding.

You can only judge a player before the draft. Whatever happens afterwards, doesn't matter because you can't predict it. Get it? Good.

Then, why are you still posting? You last 3 post have been nonsense. The Patrick White argument fits into my argument like a glove.

Lol. You keep saying "you don't get it" but everything you post shows that you're the one that doesn't get it.

I'll break it down for you.

No player is perfect when they're drafted. Every player has some aspect of their game that will need to be improved during the development process whether it be "skating", "intensity", "defensive game", "offensive game", "strength".

The real question is what is the liklihood that they can improve these flaws and overcome them to reach the next level. That's based on things like a players personality and work ethic. Something scouts spend alot of time trying to uncover.

So saying that you can only look at what a player is now, and not what you believe you can mold a player into based on their complete package is very short sighted.

And I keep posting because it's funny to see you get more and more angry and confused. :lol:

If Detroit gave us a first plus Mantha....I would be drooling at the mouth that we got Mantha....pure goal scorer. I would keep our first and take a big skilled forward ....Dal Colle, Virtanen, Ritchie.... maybe trade the Detroit 1st and a vet to move up?

I don't think we'd have any vets that could combine with a 20th-ish pick that would move us up to 1st....plus if Florida wants Ehlers....I don't think he'd be available at 20th, heck I think he goes at 8th or 9th.

The problem here, is too many think of the players as objects and don't realize the full story. Everyone is different. When Draistal is having keeping balance on his skates in junior, it is a huge concern.

Successful Centers need to play a full two-way game. Without speed he is on dimensional. Draistl looks more like, he'll have to turn into a winger in the NHL and be a play making winger. A slow one at that. How attractive does that look, for a top 5 pick?

It is a concern, yes. But that doesn't mean it is something that should avoid us from drafting him if he is available. If skating wasn't a problem he would easily be neck and neck with Ekblad just to show the skill he has.

All of what you said is true, but skating can be fixed! It won't make him Sidney Crosby skating but if he can have speed like Jamie Benn, Vanek, or have the average speed level he can be a superstar.

Who do you think we should choose if Draisaitl is still available?

All of what you said is true, but skating can be fixed! It won't make him Sidney Crosby skating but if he can have speed like Jamie Benn, Vanek, or have the average speed level he can be a superstar.

Benn is a good example of an average skater that improved enough to be an impact player at the next level.

No way he would have gone in the 5h round if his skating was above average.

This post is even worst than the initial post. From, having chemistry with a player like the twins have chemistry with each other, to building chemistry with the twins.

By the time, Draistl is in his prime, the Twins won't even be in the league. Who cares if Draisatl developed anything with the Twins, if he were drafted here.

Wow,....so everything they say about you IS true then eh....

We draft him, 2 years later and a few training camps and off season camps together and Draisatl, who is much like Henrik already is learning from henrik himself.

We are preparing for the future AFTER the twins...

You're quite obstinate and rather boorish really. I (as you so eloquently put it previously) don't think you get it

Should have drafted PK Subban? Cause at the time, not a single soul thought PK Subban would turn into the player he was in 07. Don't come back, years after and say, the shoulda, woulda, coulda crap.

For the last time;

"YOU CAN ONLY JUDGE THEM FROM WHAT THEY DO NOW". That's the 10th times, i've said that. Still, i can only expect a stupid irrelevant post from you. This is why, no one ever remembers or cares about anything you say.

Draisatl.

Superior playmaking and scoring center on a terrible team who carried the offense ALONE.

Speaks volumes.

Benn is a good example of an average skater that improved enough to be an impact player at the next level.

No way he would have gone in the 5h round if his skating was above average.

1st round players with skating questions that have panned out ok I would think as centers

Jumbo Joe

Getzlaf

Two of the biggest names off the top of my head.

This post is even worst than the initial post. From, having chemistry with a player like the twins have chemistry with each other, to building chemistry with the twins.

By the time, Draistl is in his prime, the Twins won't even be in the league. Who cares if Draisatl developed anything with the Twins, if he were drafted here.

You strike me as the type of person who can't see further than their arms held out in front of them. Although you've made a few valid points, you always destroy them by speaking in absolutes. You're basically saying your opinion is a fact and anyone who says anything to the contrary is wrong.

The point is you can't predict where an 18 year old will end up in 4-5 years. Every draft has its risers and fallers. The best we can do at this point is make an educated guess based on stats, professional opinion and current trajectory.

Just out of curiosity, is this type of thread allowed now?

I thought we had a rule about posting your own article from another site but I'm not sure. I remember Dr Funkenstein used to do it and he parlayed some of that work into a job. I know Wyatt did too.

I'm not mini-moding. I'm just curious.

Ehlers is our guy. His speed and skill is just way to good to pass on. Could end up being the steal of the draft. Of course we have to still wait for the combine. You never know what can happen!

Draistl seems way to slow. It's probably the only reason I wouldn't take him.

Dal Colle apparently hates the Canucks so he can go f*** himself...

Ekblad is elite. Stop hating on the kid. Future 1 or 2..

Just out of curiosity, is this type of thread allowed now?

I thought we had a rule about posting your own article from another site but I'm not sure. I remember Dr Funkenstein used to do it and he parlayed some of that work into a job. I know Wyatt did too.

I'm not mini-moding. I'm just curious.

It's not even a good plug either, it's basically copy paste from the other thread rofl.

I really hope its Dal Colle who falls and not Draisaitl. For me I still take him over Ehlers but I am grinding my teeth as I do it.

Nobody can predict the future but my sense is that Ekblad, Ehlers and Nylander are the 3 players with star potential in this draft.

I feel Reinhart and Bennett are solid players. Probable 1st liners but no doubt second liners. I feel Virtanen and Ritchie are solid pros who can offer 2nd line skill and a two way physical presence . In fact, I would argue Virtanen has Selke qualities that can be developed. He could turn into a Loui Eriksson.

I believe Ehlers and Nylander can become 30 -35 goal scoring 80 point players.

I agreewith deniro rey id rather draisatl with his bad skating than ehlers with his puny child size body we dont need anymore schroeders on the team. Virtanen is my pick he hits fights scores plays a full 200ft game but if dal colle or draisatl or bennett fall to sixth they are all look nice

meanwhile rey hope your liking patrick white future in nhl hes a stud (note the sarcasm)

Ehlers is our guy. His speed and skill is just way to good to pass on. Could end up being the steal of the draft. Of course we have to still wait for the combine. You never know what can happen!

Draistl seems way to slow. It's probably the only reason I wouldn't take him.

Dal Colle apparently hates the Canucks so he can go f*** himself...

Ekblad is elite. Stop hating on the kid. Future 1 or 2..

You know dal cole is available at 6 we are drafting wether he likes it or not.

Anyways ritchie is,the guy to go for.

Where was this rumour spreading that Dal Colle doesn't like the Canucks or Vancouver? I did a quick google search and couldn't find it but maybe I missed it.

Personally unless its Lindros like bad if he is available the GM will take him, and hey who knows perhaps we make a gigantic trade with another organization like the flyers - nordiques did (also look how that turned out for Quebec / Colorado) :)

The more I watch Ehler highlights the more I think his skill won't transfer to the NHL as well as other prospects'. He's speed looks impressive and he uses it score a lot. But the overwhelming majority of the time it is because the Q Dmen are standing their like pylons with horrible ability to turn their hips and control the gap. Also he squeaks by Dmen whereas in the NHL he would be hit. In that regard his speed is unlikely to transfer.

The type of goals other potential draft picks score like Ritchie, Virtanen, and Perlini - wrist shots, slap shots, dirty rebounds - seem to be the types of goals scored in the NHL.

Archived