The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Prospective Expansion Draft - Protection?

jackiesyim

So there's reports about a possible expansion team in Seattle which means there's a possible expansion draft looming. In 2000, the rules for the expansion draft was the each team could protect one goaltender, five defensemen, and nine forwards or two goaltenders, three defensemen, and seven forwards.

Who would you protect?

We are obviously deep in defense and I think we want to bring in a veteran goaltender so I would opt with 1 Goaltender, 5 D, and 9 F.

Lack

Bieksa
Tanev
Garrison
Hamhuis
Stanton
(Lose Edler, lose his cap, NTC becomes invalid - some would keep him and try to trade him)

Sedin
Sedin
Kesler
Kassian
Higgins
Jensen
Burrows
Matthias
Brad Richardson

UFA - Santo Resign
We might not have to buyout Booth because he's probably the most skilled unprotected player on our team.

Your thoughts?

We might not have to buyout Booth because he's probably the most skilled unprotected player on our team.

Your thoughts?

The Canucks wouldn't have to buy out Booth because even if expansion was announced tomorrow, they wouldn't be starting for at least a season at the earliest.

Booth only has one more year on his current deal.

How does it work exactly, what are the rules about say picking Horvat if he's on the team next year.

If we only get 9 forwards after Horvat and possibly shinkaruk make the team I wouldn't be holding onto Higgins or Daniel.

Just looked it up:

Says 10 NHL games for goalies

40NHL games for Dmen

and 70NHL games for Forwards

So yea pretty much everyone but Booth and Hansen imo

It is hard to say. 2015 would be the earliest expansion would happen so the landscape of the team could be different. Jensen would not have to be protected in 2015, same goes for Corrado.

I think Edler would be traded way before an entry draft if it were to happen, letting him know he would be picked up by an expansion team would mean playing on a terrible team that will take 5 years to get any traction.

Entry level contracts are exempt from the draft, as are UFA/RFA players So Horvat, Jensen, Gaunce, Shink, Corrado, Corrado, Fox, Subban and any other picks from 2011 forward would be protected in a 2015 expansion draft. Kassian and Tanev would be the youngest players on the roster that would need protecting.

Edit: There are also rules about number of NHL games played for players left unprotected. You can't simply leave a player that has been injured the majority of the last 2 seasons for example

Can they take from our prospects?? Cause if so, they bye bye Sedin's.

Eddie Lack

- Thank God Eriksson is in the minors, i would take him over Markstrom anyday.

Chris Tanev

Alex Edler

Jason Garrison

Kevin Bieksa

Dan Hamhuis

- We do not have great up and coming D. Expansion teams can get much better from teams that are more deep. We likely would not lose Rick Stanton or Corrado because teams like STL have to much to offer.

Horvat

Kesler

Burrows

Gaunce

Shinkaruk

Cassels

Jensen

Matthias

Kassian

No.

All time leading scorers, dedicated community members and lifelong canucks left unprotected in an expanison draft.

Classy.

WELL IN THAT CASE

Eddie Lack

Edler

Garrison

Bieksa

Tanev

Hamhuis

Sedin

Sedin

Kesler

Burrows

Matthias

Jensen

Kassian

Higgins

anyone

Eddie Lack

- Thank God Eriksson is in the minors, i would take him over Markstrom anyday.

Chris Tanev

Alex Edler

Jason Garrison

Kevin Bieksa

Dan Hamhuis

- We do not have great up and coming D. Expansion teams can get much better from teams that are more deep. We likely would not lose Rick Stanton or Corrado because teams like STL have to much to offer.

Horvat

Kesler

Burrows

Gaunce

Shinkaruk

Cassels

Jensen

Matthias

Kassian

There's like couple posts above you that just said entry level contracts won't be affected aka or youngsters... read. Please.

Would this really void a NTC in a contract? I would think this would make these players fall into your protected list automatically? But I guess their would be issues as well if you had to many NTC when an expansion occurred.

So does the new team just draft names from a hat to join their team?? Or do they actually hand pick them from the list of unprotected eligible players?

It's a draft, they pick who they want from the unprotected list.

Unnecessary to protect both Sedins in my opinion. A team wouldn't take a one without taking the other. Protect Henrik and leave Daniel open...save yourself a roster spot.

Sure they would they would be gone right away. Can you not protect players with a no trade?

Archived