The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who will Benning draft?

Tangerines

Plot twist: Benning doesn't draft a hockey player but a crime fighting robot named Zorg. He prints out a picture of Daniel Sedins face and glues it on the front of the robot. Zorg gets too smart and out Sedins the Sedins. Universe can't handle that much Sedin. Professor Bryzgalov claims universe isn't humongous big enough for that much Sedin. A Dr. Seuss like loop of unlikely events takes place. Gingers take over the earth. Canucks win Stanley Cup. Benning known as best GM ever. In celebration Benning litters in Stanley park. Zorg throws Benning in gulag. Bad luck Benning meme's ensue. Kassian's still missing teeth.

Moral of the story... There are too many draft threads.

I can live with this.

Now what if Montreal comes back and wins ? Still stand by the goaltending stance ? What about Crawford when they won, ward when they won Roy when he was a nobody ... It continues

One thing most of us agree on I'd imagine is :

While we are in the West, we need to get bigger and faster. However for me that applies as much to the D as the top 6.

I realise size isn't everything but size with talent is what we require. If it means we trade players for prospects and picks and wait a bit longer, I'm ok with that.

I don't buy into the opinion held by some that we are soft but I do think we have lacked a physicality needed to contend in the SC, especially to fight our way out of the West.

There will also come a time, mid season, where we have to decide if Lack will be able to carry us. Anyone watching complete games of this season's SC will see right away that you don't get far without a top net minder. I think Lack has these qualities but the question is, is he ready to carry the franchise now.

Plot twist: Benning doesn't draft a hockey player but a crime fighting robot named Zorg. He prints out a picture of Daniel Sedins face and glues it on the front of the robot. Zorg gets too smart and out Sedins the Sedins. Universe can't handle that much Sedin. Professor Bryzgalov claims universe isn't humongous big enough for that much Sedin. A Dr. Seuss like loop of unlikely events takes place. Gingers take over the earth. Canucks win Stanley Cup. Benning known as best GM ever. In celebration Benning litters in Stanley park. Zorg throws Benning in gulag. Bad luck Benning meme's ensue. Kassian's still missing teeth.

Moral of the story... There are too many draft threads.

Brilliant lol

"Im pretty sure we are taking Ritchie now that Virtanen is having surgery. We could still take him, hes supposed to be back in November but Im betting on Ritchie just like I have been for the last 2 months."

I'm not sure. Is Richie considered a player to carry the franchise in future? It seems to me when Linden was saying this he had probably already discussed the draft with Benning and they were of one mind.

It suggests they intend to do what it takes to move up to first or second. As I see it the top 3 are really the only "potential franchise leaders" and as has been discussed elsewhere, defenders are very hard to predict, a lot harder than forwards.

Reinhard (possibly Daisraitl or Bennet ) is the player I expect them to move for, unless they are convinced Ekblad will be the real deal.

"Im pretty sure we are taking Ritchie now that Virtanen is having surgery. We could still take him, hes supposed to be back in November but Im betting on Ritchie just like I have been for the last 2 months."

I'm not sure. Is Richie considered a player to carry the franchise in future? It seems to me when Linden was saying this he had probably already discussed the draft with Benning and they were of one mind.

It suggests they intend to do what it takes to move up to first or second. As I see it the top 3 are really the only "potential franchise leaders" and as has been discussed elsewhere, defenders are very hard to predict, a lot harder than forwards.

Reinhard (possibly Daisraitl or Bennet ) is the player I expect them to move for, unless they are convinced Ekblad will be the real deal.

Those guys are rated higher then our pick. Im talking about guys in our selection range.

If you look at the team he built in Boston the teams isn’t just built on size. They are built on being a hard team to play against.

Every player (big or small) finishes their checks and plays with physical intensity. There is no easy win against them, you are going to have to earn each victory and you’ll be feeling it the next day. There is less focus on skill and more focus on a high pace, high intensity game. In my opinion that fits the mold of Virtanen and Ritchie not because of their size but because of their style of play.

But then if you look at Bennings top 10 draft pick history he's picked high end skill and stole the big strong physical play in selecting some gems in later rounds.

In my opinion there has to be that right mix. Canucks currently rely on pure skill to win a game. And when the team isn’t scoring we weren’t providing much of an effort and it made other teams have easy wins. We would lose 1-0, get out shot, out hit, and out worked, teams didn’t fear playing us as the first game in a back to back. Teams figured how to block out our offensive and force us to try and score dirty goals by driving to the net(something we rarely did).

Again, One pick doesn’t change the entire outlook on this team. If we are going to change our culture to be more of a big, fast, hardworking team then there will have to be a lot of movement. One of Hammer, Edler, Garrison will need to be moved and a top 4, hard hitting stay at home defencemen will have to be brought in. If we could move two of them and bring in a PMD as well that would be ideal.

We will also need to provide more of a fore-check in the top 6. We currently have Kelser that can fit that role, (Kassian as well if he can make that jump). A fast skating, goal scoring winger, who can also throw his weight around would be ideal. E.Kane would look good in the top 6, but possibly Virtanen/Ritchie can fit that role as well.

On the flip side, we have two extremely skilled twins in our line up. What happens when they slow down? Do we need to start preparing for that? We have 4 years to fill that hole so it’s not as pressing as some people think. When they do move on, we will have some open holes to fill but it doesn’t have to be completely filled through drafting. Rare case but MIN picked up a number 1 winger/center and number 1 D in that same UFA market. Trades also happen stars picked up a number 1 center in a trade with the Bruins last summer

This is assuming all players continue on their current path. We have in our system.

Shinkaruk ______ ______

Jensen Horvat Kassian

_____ Gaunce Cassels

**After all that. Assuming he none of the top 5 players fall I think he will draft skill. We don’t need a player to come in and make an impact right away. We still have the Sedin’s locked up for 4 more years. I may be bias but, Nylander is who he will pick. He has top end skill and can learn a lot about being a pro from two great leaders who also are from Sweden. He has the potential to become this team’s future top center, he might not be Captain material but we’ve stocked up heart and sole players with Gaunce, Horvat, and Cassels.

I would love to see a future line of

Jensen Nylander Kassian

If you look at the team he built in Boston the teams isn’t just built on size. They are built on being a hard team to play against.

Every player (big or small) finishes their checks and plays with physical intensity. There is no easy win against them, you are going to have to earn each victory and you’ll be feeling it the next day. There is less focus on skill and more focus on a high pace, high intensity game. In my opinion that fits the mold of Virtanen and Ritchie not because of their size but because of their style of play.

But then if you look at Bennings top 10 draft pick history he's picked high end skill and stole the big strong physical play in selecting some gems in later rounds.

In my opinion there has to be that right mix. Canucks currently rely on pure skill to win a game. And when the team isn’t scoring we weren’t providing much of an effort and it made other teams have easy wins. We would lose 1-0, get out shot, out hit, and out worked, teams didn’t fear playing us as the first game in a back to back. Teams figured how to block out our offensive and force us to try and score dirty goals by driving to the net(something we rarely did).

Again, One pick doesn’t change the entire outlook on this team. If we are going to change our culture to be more of a big, fast, hardworking team then there will have to be a lot of movement. One of Hammer, Edler, Garrison will need to be moved and a top 4, hard hitting stay at home defencemen will have to be brought in. If we could move two of them and bring in a PMD as well that would be ideal.

We will also need to provide more of a fore-check in the top 6. We currently have Kelser that can fit that role, (Kassian as well if he can make that jump). A fast skating, goal scoring winger, who can also throw his weight around would be ideal. E.Kane would look good in the top 6, but possibly Virtanen/Ritchie can fit that role as well.

On the flip side, we have two extremely skilled twins in our line up. What happens when they slow down? Do we need to start preparing for that? We have 4 years to fill that hole so it’s not as pressing as some people think. When they do move on, we will have some open holes to fill but it doesn’t have to be completely filled through drafting. Rare case but MIN picked up a number 1 winger/center and number 1 D in that same UFA market. Trades also happen stars picked up a number 1 center in a trade with the Bruins last summer

This is assuming all players continue on their current path. We have in our system.

Shinkaruk ______ ______

Jensen Horvat Kassian

_____ Gaunce Cassels

Would love to see 2/3 of Edler,Garrison and Hamhuis traded.

we got too many non physical softies back there.

Everyone is missing the option of a significant trade involving our 6th overall. There is some talk ( which I don't buy) that Pitts might want to trade Malkin and we already know they want KESLER. So what would it take. 6th, KESLER and maybe MARKSTROM/LACK for Malkin. Pitts needs cap space to add Depth to their team. We do this then sign one of Miller, Hiller

SEDIN SEDIN BURROWS

JENSEN MALKIN KASSIAN

HIGGINS HORVAT MATTHIAS

THORTON RICHARDSON HANSEN

just a thought, there probably better options for line pairings then this. If we can get Malkin then it changes our forward look dramatically. We will need to trade EDLER for cap space and buy out a player also if we go after a goalie also.

Everyone is missing the option of a significant trade involving our 6th overall. There is some talk ( which I don't buy) that Pitts might want to trade Malkin and we already know they want KESLER. So what would it take. 6th, KESLER and maybe MARKSTROM/LACK for Malkin. Pitts needs cap space to add Depth to their team. We do this then sign one of Miller, Hiller

SEDIN SEDIN BURROWS

JENSEN MALKIN KASSIAN

HIGGINS HORVAT MATTHIAS

THORTON RICHARDSON HANSEN

just a thought, there probably better options for line pairings then this. If we can get Malkin then it changes our forward look dramatically. We will need to trade EDLER for cap space and buy out a player also if we go after a goalie also.

If Gretzky can be traded then so could Malkin...or crosby ;)

Kesler, 6th overal, 2015 first overal, Hammuis

I don't want to trade HAMHIUS, he is our best all around defenseman. I really like the

HAMHIUS TANEV pairing, not physical but extremely hi hockey IQ

I doubt the Malkin rumors are true but if they are then Linden and Benning needs to make a significant splash. EDLER could get us some decent picks and prospects to build for the future while improving the right now.

Back then there was no salary cap. Also part of the Gretzky trade was money. Oilers got $15 million plus a boat load of players/picks. Much harder to trade such players now. You'd have to give up too many roster players for someone like Crosby, does Pittsburgh have the cap or room for them? Nope. (Same with Malkin).

Back then there was no salary cap. Also part of the Gretzky trade was money. Oilers got $15 million plus a boat load of players/picks. Much harder to trade such players now. You'd have to give up too many roster players for someone like Crosby, does Pittsburgh have the cap or room for them? Nope. (Same with Malkin).

Now a days with a salary cap you can't have 2 players making 9 million and expect it to affect the overall depth of the team. Even with the Sedins making 14+ million is nothing compared the the almost 18 million Pitts is spending. They are also spending way more on goaltending than we are now. Pitts have serious depth issues and moving Malkin for a KESLER package would fix that and free up almost 4 million also

I can see a number of possibilities happening at the draft. (only one of the following will happen, obviously)

1. The Canucks take either Virtanen or Nylander (think he is gonna be scary good)
  2. Trade up to get Reinhart or Ekblad
  3. Trade Kesler to Anaheim for a package that includes the 10th pick and they take 2 of Virtanen/Nylander/Ehlers if all still available.

Archived