The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who will Benning draft?

Tangerines

He will draft me and I will lead us to the promised land.

Do you play hockey right now?

I think the guys who play minor hockey right now are concentrating on developing their skills, getting as much ice-time as they can (if their parents can afford it or if they've been selected to a major junior team their team has specified ice-times) and not wasting their time commenting on a message board.

What is the point of posting if you are just going to make up outright lies? Hiding behind a computer using a fake name to spit lies out doesnt add much to the conversation.

I want you to consider your logic while making up your lies. It has to be realistic if people are going to believe your horse crap.

No GM of a pro hockey team is going to say he gladly trades speed and skill for toughness while drafting in the top 10. Let alone an owner of a 400million dollar franchise. He would be universally mocked as a buffoon.

I don't know why you can't have a combination of both. I noticed you said a similar thing to me despite ignoring what I said in my post.

"I realise size isn't everything but size with talent is what we require."

Give the poster credit, nearly everyone knows you don't just go for size. If that was the case we could just fill the team with Sestitos. Benning has intimated that he DOES want size and I'm sure you would not speak to him like that.

We are all on the same side are we not?

That being said, Ritchie does have alot of skill, is a good skater and has a tremendous shot and release.

Ritchie has average to decent skill. Obviously nothing close to warrant being drafted at 6th. Even his supporters have admitted that he's an interesting prospect because of his size. As was discussed earlier, his skill is nothing compared to the dominant power forwards in the league (whom he's always getting compared to)... his skill is simply nothing out of this world. He's a decent skater, above average for his size but obviously nothing close to the better skaters in his league, and finally, his shot and release are good though certainly not 'tremendous.'

Drafting for size, especially at 6th, is a recipe for disaster; I'm sure Benning knows this full well. What is he gonna say if in 3-4 years it becomes obvious that he's not gonna pan out? "uhhhh, I drafted him because of his big frame and his decent shot..." :sadno:

Benning said they will look at skill first but the character will also play a big part. So if we stay at 6 we will look at drasitl (if he falls), nylander and elhers. Its been reported that nylander has charcter issues but thats the media saying it. We have now clue. Nylander is a for sure pick above elhers skill wise. It will come down to the interview. If nylander impresses benning with his character and drive to win then nylander will be the choice if not then it will be elhers. It will not be ritchie as we already have kassian and his lazyness will be a huge turn off for benning.

Benning said they will look at skill first but the character will also play a big part. So if we stay at 6 we will look at drasitl (if he falls), nylander and elhers. Its been reported that nylander has charcter issues but thats the media saying it. We have now clue. Nylander is a for sure pick above elhers skill wise. It will come down to the interview. If nylander impresses benning with his character and drive to win then nylander will be the choice if not then it will be elhers. It will not be ritchie as we already have kassian and his lazyness will be a huge turn off for benning.

Richie is in Ehlers is out!

This could be the last chance for several years (at least) for this team to draft at this level. Benning and Linden have said that they want the player they pick at #6 to be the "cornerstone" of the team for years to come. Obviously, whoever is chosen will be skilled, talented, etc. (unless they really mess up!). So, the question is ...if you were going to build your future team, which position would you fill first? Of course, you need to take into consideration the players available in this draft.

In my book you look for that sure-fire #1 D, or your next 1st line C. And, looking at the current Canucks and the up-coming prospects, that is exactly the approach to use.(How many times have the Canucks tried to acquire that guy through trades? No team is going to trade away that guy! ) Now, the only D prospective draftee who could perhaps fill that #1 D position is Ekblad. I think he will be taken by Edmonton, Calgary or Florida. It is unlikely he will be still available at #6.

So, let's look at the centres available. Obviously, Reinhart tops the list, but, without an amazing trade, will not be around at #6. That leaves Draisaitl and Nylander (both of whom play C and wing). If either of those guys are still available for our pick, I think that's who Linden/Benning will go for. They both have the definite potential to be your #1 C for years to come. They bring some different tools to the table, so, the Combine will probably be the determining factor (especially the interviews).

Henrik has been the best Canuck ever. Certainly has been the "cornerstone" of this team for the past 7-8 years. We need to get his potential replacement on the team in the next couple of years so that he can be that player's mentor. Draisaitl is supposed to be the most NHL-ready player of the draft (according to some scouts). Nylander could be ready for the 2015 season. Think about it...

By the way, I haven't mentioned Horvat because I don't see him being on the same level as Draisaitl or Nylander. I think he will make a fine replacement for Kesler as our #2 C. :)

btw: the time to move up to draft #1 is next year... although switching from #6 to #1 doesn't cost as much as it probably will next year.

that is assuming that this team is making the playoffs... which might be a stretch considering what we saw this last year... Maybe the right coach, and banner years from all the players (meaning a return to just "normal" a few years ago)... a stretch, but maybe. We saw a lot of age this year....

This could be the last chance for several years (at least) for this team to draft at this level. Benning and Linden have said that they want the player they pick at #6 to be the "cornerstone" of the team for years to come. Obviously, whoever is chosen will be skilled, talented, etc. (unless they really mess up!). So, the question is ...if you were going to build your future team, which position would you fill first? Of course, you need to take into consideration the players available in this draft.

In my book you look for that sure-fire #1 D, or your next 1st line C. And, looking at the current Canucks and the up-coming prospects, that is exactly the approach to use.(How many times have the Canucks tried to acquire that guy through trades? No team is going to trade away that guy! ) Now, the only D prospective draftee who could perhaps fill that #1 D position is Ekblad. I think he will be taken by Edmonton, Calgary or Florida. It is unlikely he will be still available at #6.

So, let's look at the centres available. Obviously, Reinhart tops the list, but, without an amazing trade, will not be around at #6. That leaves Draisaitl and Nylander (both of whom play C and wing). If either of those guys are still available for our pick, I think that's who Linden/Benning will go for. They both have the definite potential to be your #1 C for years to come. They bring some different tools to the table, so, the Combine will probably be the determining factor (especially the interviews).

Henrik has been the best Canuck ever. Certainly has been the "cornerstone" of this team for the past 7-8 years. We need to get his potential replacement on the team in the next couple of years so that he can be that player's mentor. Draisaitl is supposed to be the most NHL-ready player of the draft (according to some scouts). Nylander could be ready for the 2015 season. Think about it...

By the way, I haven't mentioned Horvat because I don't see him being on the same level as Draisaitl or Nylander. I think he will make a fine replacement for Kesler as our #2 C. :)

Bure was our best player ever.

Nylander is a head case

Draisaitl the german Gretzky is a big Center, we could use him :)

Van has some size coming up hopefully. Ritchie at 230 pounds as a 18 year old blows me away. That weight is a red flag in my mind.

There are good and bad reports about his skill level. As you suggest the skill side will carry the day.

Virtanen is not Benning's type of player, it will never happen!

I'm not a Virtanen supporter either but Benning said he wants a player with size, skill, and speed. This basically describes Virtanen. Still hoping Draisaitl or Dal Colle fall to #6 if not I would take Ehlers or Ricthie.

Ok straw man. I said the Canucks would gladly trade some skill for toughness. I didn't say draft acomplete goon with #6 pick who will only play 6-8 mins a game.

Its my opinion that Benning or Linden or who ever has final say will not pick a skilled smurf like Ehlers or Nylander over a skilled, hard nosed player with speed and tenacity. Face facts my man there is no chance they draft the guy you have convinced yourself is the next Patrick Kane... understand?

Its not horse crap. Its an opinion and I aint the only one on here who's posted one.

Personal attacks. The cornerstone of any winning argument. B) Well done.

Personal attacking Ehlers and Nylander size using negative hyperbole to make other choices look better. 6ft 176 pounds is a 'smurf' now ? This line of reasoning is so convincing !! :)

You can state your opinion . That is fine. Passing off your diatribe of snide as objective insight into the prospects has no value.

I don't know why you can't have a combination of both. I noticed you said a similar thing to me despite ignoring what I said in my post.

"I realise size isn't everything but size with talent is what we require."

Give the poster credit, nearly everyone knows you don't just go for size. If that was the case we could just fill the team with Sestitos. Benning has intimated that he DOES want size and I'm sure you would not speak to him like that.

We are all on the same side are we not?

Ok something happened to how you posted this but its happened to me on occasion as well. : :D

Of course we draft for the best all around player at our #6 position. It becomes highly subjective what that means when we set parameters on what that means. How important is size in todays NHL? How important is skill?

In my opinion the NHL is getting faster, less physical play that demands size . There are still lots of hits, but its by all players not just huge forwards. There is a noticeable trend away from fighting and trying to rattle someones teeth with a hit. It increasingly gets you a suspension if your timing is off even in the slightest , or a riot even when its perfectly legal.

So to me speed is the first key. Skating is the #1 most important skill. If you can skate, you have a job in the league. Even Mason Raymond can score 20 goals in the league because of his speed. Without it, I doubt he can make a living in the AHL .

The second most important asset is a players skill. If you have speed and skill, now you create opportunities, draw penalties and force your opponents out of their game plan. Speed and skill are a rare combination. If you have these two assets you will survive in the NHL.

So if you have speed and skill, then your hockey IQ becomes important. David Booth has speed and skill, but is dumber than a sack of hammers outside of his comfort zone of rushing the puck up the ice and jamming the net. He still has a job in the NHL and can still score some goals but if you also combine a high hockey IQ with it, now you are talking about a high end draft choice.

If you have speed, skill, high hockey sense, and now SIZE to offer, you are no doubt a top 5 draft choice. The cream of the crop. You can score, defend, skate , shield the puck, and muck in the corners. With size you are harder to knock off the puck , and are harder to intimidate.

So, when we look at this we have ........

Reinhart

Bennett

Dal Colle

Daisaitl

Nylander

Ehlers

All of these players have the main ingredients to be all stars. None of them are the perfect package. Who is the best out of these elite players?

When we get to Ritchie and Virtanen, we start to downgrade away from franchise to potential 1st line guys. These players trade off skill and rely on size.

If your opinion that speed and skill is taking over the game, then you also opinion that their size is a secondary asset which decreases their value. I dont know anyone who honestly believes someone size is a main factor in their success as a forward anymore. Its a bonus.

"Character players" "A big part of winning is having character players" paraphrasing from yesterday.

If there's one defining factor of choosing 1 player over another who are similar it will always be character.

This is their first draft and they will probably go for the most character player of the bunch based on the fact that you never want to have a miss on your first pick as a new GM.

They want someone who will step up when the going gets tough, and be an example for the rest of the players they draft.

Archived