The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who will Benning draft?

Tangerines

Brad Ziemer ‏@BradZiemer 2h

Linden on draft: "We are going to pick a player that is going to be a cornerstone for this franchise." #Canucks

Brad Ziemer ‏@BradZiemer 1h

Linden on Jacob Vanek as possible No. 6 pock: "He will be right in the mix…there are some great players in there." #Canucks

- Brad Ziemer meant Jake Virtanen...

Regardless it depends on Benning whether he sees Virtanen as a cornerstone for the franchise and whether Trev agrees as well.

Ehlers and Nylander lovers can spin that one way. Virt and Ritchie can spin it the other.

The statements dont mean anything really. lets not try to read too much into anything.

Satiar Shah ‏@SatiarShah 18m

Linden says Jake Virtanen is on the Canucks radar with the 6th, speaks highly of him. Mentioned Dal Colle as well. Expects surprise picks.

Wonder if Benning feels the same.

Yes. He was specifically called on the carpet about the guy. He didnt bring him up on his own accord. What is he supposed to say? 'No he sucks we dont want him' .

I fear everything these guys say from now until the draft day will be parsed and misconstrued. .

I really think we should trade up for Bennett, perfectly fits the Benning Era as a starting point, great playmaker who works hard every shift and has the bite to win just like he had in Boston.

I'm calling Bennett as our pick. where ever we get him.

Yes. He was specifically called on the carpet about the guy. He didnt bring him up on his own accord. What is he supposed to say? 'No he sucks we dont want him' .

I fear everything these guys say from now until the draft day will be parsed and misconstrued. .

Personally I hope Ehlers is available and we take him. I just wonder if Benning has a particular player in mind provided 1 of the top 5 don't fall to us. Nylander, Ritchie, Ehlers, and Virtanen are all the same in a sense that they are all excellent choices, but they also bring different skill sets and attributes to the table. Linden mentions that they will pick a player that will be the cornerstone for the franchise. I wonder which style of player they have in mind? As well as the later choices in the draft.

I suspect that the Canucks will still draft fairly close to what they intended prior to Benning being hired. If that's Ritchie, or Ehlers, or the BPA then that's what they'll do. As others have noted, there may be trades which can alter things considerably.

What I'm looking for is whether or not Benning has, and uses any insider knowledge he may have picked up from the scouts in the Boston system. There may be a guy (or two) who could be great, later round pick ups, who have been found by the Bruins, but who haven't been as heavily scouted by other teams.

regards,

G.

Personally I hope Ehlers is available and we take him. I just wonder if Benning has a particular player in mind provided 1 of the top 5 don't fall to us. Nylander, Ritchie, Ehlers, and Virtanen are all the same in a sense that they are all excellent choices, but they also bring different skill sets and attributes to the table. Linden mentions that they will pick a player that will be the cornerstone for the franchise. I wonder which style of player they have in mind? As well as the later choices in the draft.

I believe he will take the BPA . From Listening to Linden, he expects Ehlers or Nylander to get called on the top 5. I cant imagine what other 'surprise' there would be in the top 5.

If so we got Draisaitl or Dal Colle for sure.

I really think we should trade up for Bennett, perfectly fits the Benning Era as a starting point, great playmaker who works hard every shift and has the bite to win just like he had in Boston.

I'm calling Bennett as our pick. where ever we get him.

I have a feeling that Benning will make a bold move also. He needs to put his stamp on this franchise, so why not start off by going big. Bennett would be our future leader for sure. Him, or Reinhart would be awesome.

Brad Ziemer ‏@BradZiemer 2h

Linden on draft: "We are going to pick a player that is going to be a cornerstone for this franchise." #Canucks

Brad Ziemer ‏@BradZiemer 1h

Linden on Jacob Vanek as possible No. 6 pock: "He will be right in the mix…there are some great players in there." #Canucks

- Brad Ziemer meant Jake Virtanen...

Regardless it depends on Benning whether he sees Virtanen as a cornerstone for the franchise and whether Trev agrees as well.

These tweets don't lead me to believe Virtanen is the guy they want.

Just that he is saying that to appease those who like that/want him because he is a BC boy.

Going by how Benning seemed to strongly advocate trading Seguin because he didn't fit the definition of a Bruin, my guess is that he and Linden are going to define the new culture of the Vancouver Canucks over the course of the next month and look for the player that best fits what it means to be a "Canuck".

If the culture is defined as a team that hates to lose more than it loves to win, a team that complements its skill and speed with a healthy helping of nastiness/meanness and plays with courage, a team that doesn't take a shift off, a team that never quits, then I'll trust that whoever they pick will be of that ilk.

Well said, as Linden is putting his stamp on this team too, and we know what Linden meant to this team, how he played and what he thought it meant to be a Canuck, heck he learned from one of the best leaders in Canucks history in Smyl, and emulated his effort and heart, and simply had more talent and size.

Given Trevor really was a guy all about heart, character, effort, mental preparation, willingness to learn, develop and devotion to team, my guess is all these threads about talent, size etc are secondary as all of the players we have a shot at have different assets/skills

What I think they will focus on amongst that group they have a shot at is something you very astutely brought up and I agree with (and had not really thought about, so kudo's to you for adding some original and interesting thoughts on these redundant boards! lol), that being, character.

The interviews with these players will likely determine who we draft, I think if one can argue all the players we can choose from in that group of 5-10 are equally skilled but just bring different talents, then what will stand out is who is the best leader, Trevor and Benning will surely want that, who is going to be the dog in the fight that has the character to never quit...

interesting views indeed, very much agree sir!

Archived