The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Head Coach Questions

Kanucklehead10

Which Head Coach?  

128 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Honestly don't have a first choice. Don't believe I know any of the candidates, haven't talked to a single one. I believe that Linden and Benning will make the best choice from their view. I think they might choose Stevens or Desjardin or Oates.

Stevens with assistant of Oates would be interesting.

But my gut says it will be Desjardin, with some older assistant surrounding him. We will see....

Oates will end up with Toronto as assistant. With the way Canucks are in no hurry to hire a coach, he'll likely be gone by the time they hire someone.

Oates will end up with Toronto as assistant. With the way Canucks are in no hurry to hire a coach, he'll likely be gone by the time they hire someone.

You mean hired a GM, interviewing right afterwords........ So slow

All due respect to Desjardins but remember the last rookie head coach Canucks hired. Tom Renney and how well that worked out.

Dude, that may the worst case for "see what happened" that I have ever seen. Tom Renney is currently working with arguably the best coach and gm in the game. He is an assistant in Detroit. Tom Renney has turned out to be a great coach.

All these coaches need a chance.

You mean hired a GM, interviewing right afterwords........ So slow

Linden and Benning said that interviews would start sometime this week. That's not right afterwards and i'd consider it slow. Who else will be grabbed up before they start interview process. If they have interest in Stevens again and want to interview him, it's going to be awhile before they can with LA likely going to Finals again.

Dude, that may the worst case for "see what happened" that I have ever seen. Tom Renney is currently working with arguably the best coach and gm in the game. He is an assistant in Detroit. Tom Renney has turned out to be a great coach.

All these coaches need a chance.

Torts wasn't given much of a chance.

Linden and Benning said that interviews would start sometime this week. That's not right afterwards and i'd consider it slow. Who else will be grabbed up before they start interview process. If they have interest in Stevens again and want to interview him, it's going to be awhile before they can with LA likely going to Finals again.

So if Stevens is the guy they want, they aren't slow they are waiting for the guy..... Like they waited for Benning.

So if Stevens is the guy they want, they aren't slow they are waiting for the guy..... Like they waited for Benning.

That's assuming Stevens has interest in coming here after being bridesmaid last year and seeing the circus that went on this season.

Somebody tell us why Desjardins?

I would love to see BOTH Stevens & Desjardins come to VAN.

Stevens wouldn't leave LA unless it was for a head-coaching gig...& LA may not let him come. Desjardins would be an asst.coach...if its' to a great city & hockey market...especially to get VAN their 1st ever Stanley Cup. He's got to know he'd be immortized here if he can help to make that happen...and he would be re-united with Gulutzan. As a mid-western Canadian boy...like Trevor Linden.... he's another salt-of-the-earth guy known as a hard-working motivator who's had success at other levels. He'd be a good fit with Stevens, who strategizes & is a special technician & a cerebral video-guru. Gulutzan is respected & good with youth too. I can see him making sure that all of the call-ups from the farm, the rookies & players in the press-box stay....positive, fit, focused, keen, prepped & at the ready to be spark-plugs & contributers.

I'd rather see Adam Oates as the new Canucks coach. I don't want to watch hockey when it's all this boring 2-3 goals a game crap. I'm sick of watching our team play defense. Our team isn't build for defense, they are smaller and think the game well and are hard on the puck. Get the game into the offensive zone, and get a guy that understands offense to let the Sedins work their passing game.

with linden saying he has to wait until one of the teams is out of the playoffs or wins the cup I imagine they're looking at Stevens. I hope so too, I liked Trotz but definitely not an option anymore. Kings are on their way to another SCF in 3 years, Stevens is a big part of that. I only see good things with that hire.

with linden saying he has to wait until one of the teams is out of the playoffs or wins the cup I imagine they're looking at Stevens. I hope so too, I liked Trotz but definitely not an option anymore. Kings are on their way to another SCF in 3 years, Stevens is a big part of that. I only see good things with that hire.

I have to agree. One thing I want to know is what was the secret of re-energizing playoff Marian Gaborik. Torts must be scratching his head at home, going "Why couldn't he do that for me?!" I was thinking it is probably John Stevens too. Hopefully a bit of Darryl Sutter rubbed off on him too. That guy is a hell of a coach!!!

I'd rather see Adam Oates as the new Canucks coach. I don't want to watch hockey when it's all this boring 2-3 goals a game crap. I'm sick of watching our team play defense. Our team isn't build for defense, they are smaller and think the game well and are hard on the puck. Get the game into the offensive zone, and get a guy that understands offense to let the Sedins work their passing game.

Oates as a head coach would be a huge mistake. Caps were terrible five-on-five, especially in their own zone. Very little offensive zone time at even-strength—lots of "one and done". Bizarre line-up decisions, most notably putting Jay Beagle as a regular linemate for OV.

Oates's strengths are best suited for an associate coach role; excellent as a one-on-one teacher with players, great with the PP. But clearly when it comes to seeing "the big picture" as a head coach needs to do, Oates is lacking.

What Linden said doesn't discount Desjardins, either. He's still coaching Texas in the Calder Cup playoffs.

Archived