The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Head Coach Questions

Kanucklehead10

Which Head Coach?  

128 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Although I want us to hire Stevens, I have complete confidence that Linden and Benning will hire the right person to get this team going again. Despite the inevitable moaning and complaining on CDC in response to whomever they hire, I believe they know what they are doing and understand what's needed to turn the Canucks into contenders again.

I've been on the Stevens train since last summer. LA is the top puck possession team in league (by a country mile), their coaching staff consistently use advanced stats - so he's very familiar/experienced with them. He's apparently responsible for LAs d-men and I really like his usage of the back end. It suggest to me that he'd prob use an 'AV type' of zone start deployment to maximize his teams strengths. It's creative and it works.

I didn't know much about Desjardins, so I've just started doing a little research on the Texas Stars. Found they are top puck possession team in the AHL for 2013/14 season (Link Link2 ). I can't find the stats from previous yrs, but they have a pretty healthy 3% advantage on the next best team (which is 'LA like'). Read some testimonials from his x-players, now NHL stars and they all talk about his respect level. And his ability to teach.

Canucks have a good group of young prospects who are bound to make the team in next 2 years - they're going to need a teacher who relate to them. I don't think Canucks can go wrong with either Stevens or Desjardins - both seem like gems.

My only question mark regarding Stevens is his "people management" or motivational skills, which isn't something that can be quantified by any kind of stats. I'm not saying Stevens is good or bad at that aspect of coaching—the truth is, I don't know how he approaches that.

I will say I am a little concerned about that because of Stevens' record in Philly just before he was fired and how well the Flyers did afterwards. It makes me wonder if perhaps he lost the room rather quickly.

Although I want us to hire Stevens, I have complete confidence that Linden and Benning will hire the right person to get this team going again. Despite the inevitable moaning and complaining on CDC in response to whomever they hire, I believe they know what they are doing and understand what's needed to turn the Canucks into contenders again.

This.

I'm just dying to know who that might be though :frantic:

Crow was the best coach we had in decades, i would do that.

Crow was a good coach,wasn't the best one we had (AV).....I think he would be a decent choice for the current roster..He also coaches a good puck possession style...Chances of it becoming a reality..?..Probably slim to none.

Crawford had no playoff success with Canucks. All those wanting Crow back is for nostalgia purposes only and honestly it's ridiculous. Why bring back a recycled coach if it didn't work the first time.

If Linden somehow brings in Babcock, every canucks fan needs to build TL a palace

I think Desjardins is the most realistic

I'd like to see Johnston stay in Portland. He's got good program in portland and it isn't right robbing them of him

If Linden somehow brings in Babcock, every canucks fan needs to build TL a palace

I think Desjardins is the most realistic

I'd like to see Johnston stay in Portland. He's got good program in portland and it isn't right robbing them of him

Who gives a frack about Portland? If getting Johnston is the path to a cup for the Canucks I say rob them, beat them, molest them, rape them, whatever it takes!!!! I promise I won't lose a second of sleep feeling bad for Portland but I would be up all night if the Canucks won the Cup :towel:

Bert Robertsson, a former swedish defenceman drafted by the canucks in '93, so he has some ties with that and may have played with Linden in '97 before Linden was traded. Has been the assistant coach with Skellefteå of the SHL the last 4 years, making it to the finals all 4 years and winning it the last 2 :) ... why not, may get our Swedish players motivated :) ... or try him out as an assistant.

Bring back Pat Quinn. He will get they playing old time hockey. I thought Troz would have been a good coach but since he is going to Wash, then John Stevens.

Quinn isn't in best of health so him becoming coach isn't happening.

Not liking options available or being mentioned for coach with Trotz going to Washington

Stevens - No. Why hire the guy Gillis wanted. If there is suppose to be fresh start and new era you'd don't hire the guy previous GM wanted.

Desjardins - Nothing against him and while he's won at every level, he doesn't have any NHL experience. Linden himself stated they don't want to throw someone in there with no NHL experience.

Boucher - 1-3-1. Nothing more needs to be said. If he's such good coach, why hasn't he been hired since being fired.

Blashill - Pretty sure I read someone on here state Detroit won't given permission to teams.

Johnson - Has NHL experience as Assistant but never HC.

Crawford - Heck No. I can't believe people on here want to bring him back simply for nostalia. He had no playoff success here. Bringing back recycled coach is very foolish. Just look at Habs and Therrien

As much as I thought BT would be a good fit, with Trevor and Jim in control, as a multiple season ticket holder I am comfortable in their abilities to pick the right coach.

The coach does not need to be hired right away. The GM was important and Trevor hired the best guy available by a mile.

Sort out the draft, trade what needs to be traded and then hire your coach.

Barry Trotz was never my choice. I want Desjardins and my 2nd choice would be Stevens.

Desjardins works well with young players and we are expected to have an injection of youth. He has won at every level he has coached in. He is the right man for the job (providing he is on the same page as to what is expected of him) if he fits in well with Linden and Benning.

I would also consider Kevin Dineen.

Honestly don't have a first choice. Don't believe I know any of the candidates, haven't talked to a single one. I believe that Linden and Benning will make the best choice from their view. I think they might choose Stevens or Desjardin or Oates.

Stevens with assistant of Oates would be interesting.

But my gut says it will be Desjardin, with some older assistant surrounding him. We will see....

Archived