The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Head Coach Questions

Kanucklehead10

Which Head Coach?  

128 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Now that it looks like everyone's 1A option (Barry Trotz) is headed to Washington, who would everyone say is the most attractive choice left?

The names I've heard are:

Houda

Desjardins

Dineen

Stevens

Boucher

Johnston

Blashill

There are lots of options, but now that we've experienced last year's mistake with the Tortorella hiring, it makes me wonder which coach out of these guys would compliment the core really well. Does anyone have any opinions on each head coach and why you think a certain one would FIT this team?

*Also does anyone know if there would be a delay on Desjardins because of the Calder Cup playoffs? Wouldn't we need to have him ASAP, pre - draft so that he can also have time to make his input on the team and what he needs for the team...that is.... if he was indeed the guy to be the next coach?

I think I would go for Stevens. He has been a huge part of getting the Kings to where they are today. Bring in Oates as an assistant and watch this team flourish.

Wouldn't mind any options really but I feel that that combo would do wonders together alongside Gulutzan.

I always wanted Mike Johnston back as the head coach, ever since AV got the axe. He's already familiar with the organization and players, most importantly the Sedin Twins. So, if anyone can get the Twins going again, it's him.

On top of that, he's has an amazing track record at developing young players, in Portland.

Somebody tell us why Desjardins?

He seems to have all the qualities we need and he is trending to the NHL. Better if it is with us imo.

"His teams were always well prepared and they always played hard,” said Hay, who’s returning to Kamloops for his second stint at Blazers head coach. “Willie is a real genuine person and a real quality coach. His teams will always come at you hard and play a real uptempo game. Everywhere he’s gone, he’s had success.

"“He can work with all kinds of athletes and that’s what he wants to be known as — a guy who’s not one-dimensional. He’s coached at all different levels and really fits in well with a variety of people. He showed he wants to be a (NHL) head coach, too.”

*Also does anyone know if there would be a delay on Desjardins because of the Calder Cup playoffs? Wouldn't we need to have him ASAP, pre - draft so that he can also have time to make his input on the team and what he needs for the team...that is.... if he was indeed the guy to be the next coach?

Of course there will be a delay. There is no way he leaves his team at this point in the season. No chance. Coach doesn't matter much on the draft plans. Coaches job is to coach the players he's given.

Also, I'm sure a guy can 'commit' to a team, and still finish off the playoffs in the A, before he comes over. But there is no way Desjardins leaves his team in the middle of a title run.

I've been on the Stevens train since last summer. LA is the top puck possession team in league (by a country mile), their coaching staff consistently use advanced stats - so he's very familiar/experienced with them. He's apparently responsible for LAs d-men and I really like his usage of the back end. It suggest to me that he'd prob use an 'AV type' of zone start deployment to maximize his teams strengths. It's creative and it works.

I didn't know much about Desjardins, so I've just started doing a little research on the Texas Stars. Found they are top puck possession team in the AHL for 2013/14 season (Link Link2 ). I can't find the stats from previous yrs, but they have a pretty healthy 3% advantage on the next best team (which is 'LA like'). Read some testimonials from his x-players, now NHL stars and they all talk about his respect level. And his ability to teach.

Canucks have a good group of young prospects who are bound to make the team in next 2 years - they're going to need a teacher who relate to them. I don't think Canucks can go wrong with either Stevens or Desjardins - both seem like gems.

Crow was the best coach we had in decades, i would do that.

Crow was a good coach,wasn't the best one we had (AV).....I think he would be a decent choice for the current roster..He also coaches a good puck possession style...Chances of it becoming a reality..?..Probably slim to none.

Archived