The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Head Coach Questions

Kanucklehead10

Which Head Coach?  

128 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Trotz is now off the market and all we keep hearing on these boards is his name. Besides Stevens et al, who are some of the candidates that could be had? And boy, do I mean had as in ripped off LOL. But I digress...Since this team is offesnively inclined with the first and second lines, anyone think a former offensively gifted player could be a good fit here? I was thinking of Denis Savard as possible fit, but then again, perhaps there is some minute discrepancy much like the thousands we saw in Torts that would ultimately have the fans chanting for his firing at years end.

My only question mark regarding Stevens is his "people management" or motivational skills, which isn't something that can be quantified by any kind of stats. I'm not saying Stevens is good or bad at that aspect of coaching—the truth is, I don't know how he approaches that.

I will say I am a little concerned about that because of Stevens' record in Philly just before he was fired and how well the Flyers did afterwards. It makes me wonder if perhaps he lost the room rather quickly.

Ya, it's a good question about his people management skills. Like you said, those things can't be quantified so it's really down to the GM to do a thorough examination of potential coaches.

I also have concerns about his record in Philly. Under his helm, they were a horrid puck possession team. When he left, they were a top 12ish possession team. But I don't know what Philly deal was then - were they re-building, younger players developing. What did their d-core look like?

My hope is that he learned advanced metrics in LA and how to build/coach a solid possession team (which LA is).

Ya, it's a good question about his people management skills. Like you said, those things can't be quantified so it's really down to the GM to do a thorough examination of potential coaches.

I also have concerns about his record in Philly. Under his helm, they were a horrid puck possession team. When he left, they were a top 12ish possession team. But I don't know what Philly deal was then - were they re-building, younger players developing. What did their d-core look like?

My hope is that he learned advanced metrics in LA and how to build/coach a solid possession team (which LA is).

Under Stevens, I think his forward group was comparable to what they have now—it was the beginning of when Mike Richards and Jeff Carter were their best players and Danny Brière was still productive. IIRC, their D was a little better than it is now; I think Pronger was still playing then, Timonen wasn't nearly as old. And they had the same old goalie issues that'd plagued them for years.

I always wanted Mike Johnston back as the head coach, ever since AV got the axe. He's already familiar with the organization and players, most importantly the Sedin Twins. So, if anyone can get the Twins going again, it's him.

On top of that, he's has an amazing track record at developing young players, in Portland.

This.

I always wanted Mike Johnston back as the head coach, ever since AV got the axe. He's already familiar with the organization and players, most importantly the Sedin Twins. So, if anyone can get the Twins going again, it's him.

On top of that, he's has an amazing track record at developing young players, in Portland.

Not denying his skill but that might be a bit of a jump jrs to NHL. If people are a shade skeptical regarding Willie Desjardin (I'd like to coin the nickname WD40 for him if he is hired) I can see them being even more skeptical of MJ.

Not denying his ability, I liked him when he was an assistant on Crows staff

He seems to have all the qualities we need and he is trending to the NHL. Better if it is with us imo.

"His teams were always well prepared and they always played hard,” said Hay, who’s returning to Kamloops for his second stint at Blazers head coach. “Willie is a real genuine person and a real quality coach. His teams will always come at you hard and play a real uptempo game. Everywhere he’s gone, he’s had success.

"“He can work with all kinds of athletes and that’s what he wants to be known as — a guy who’s not one-dimensional. He’s coached at all different levels and really fits in well with a variety of people. He showed he wants to be a (NHL) head coach, too.”

He showed that he wants to be a (NHL) head coach, too...but would he be content to be an asst. head coach to John Stevens? Stevens will only leave LA for an up-grade. Desjardins is supposedly not all that ambitious. He's more mission-focused & may accept another asst. coaching gig in the NHL...if it's to work on an epically-stellar team that's building towards winning VanCity & our 'Nucks their 1st ever Stanley Cup in the modern era. It'll put him in the history books & immortalize him in our midst forever. And - he gets to live in a totally awesome world-class city...as a bonus! I hope this happens! :)

We need to start building around our defence. Garrison, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Tanev and Corrado are all 20 minute D-men and top-4 on most teams, they just need to be used properly and Stevens knows how to play defence.

Look at the Cup Final - two of the best defensive teams in the league. This is a trend that goes back decades. Defence wins championships. AV tried to run and gun against a Boston team that was far more sound defensively than we were and we couldn't score against them. Tortorella tried an aggressive, physical approach and eventually our solid (best PK) defence got worn down.

Stevens is a man who understands defensive play and he can get all of our players playing the right way. We don't have high end skill to out-score opponents anymore, what we need is to frustrate opponents with defence and score opportunistically or on the PP to win games next season.

Bert Robertsson, a former swedish defenceman drafted by the canucks in '93, so he has some ties with that and may have played with Linden in '97 before Linden was traded. Has been the assistant coach with Skellefteå of the SHL the last 4 years, making it to the finals all 4 years and winning it the last 2 :) ... why not, may get our Swedish players motivated :) ... or try him out as an assistant.

On that evidence, maybe the Head Coach is the guy we should be looking at. ;)

Crow was the best coach we had in decades, i would do that.

Crow = Highly Overrated! Outside of coaching one of the most talented teams in NHL history, he hasn't accomplished much.

Quinn was a far better coach than Crow and proved that he could find ways to motivate average teams to great levels.

Bert Robertsson, a former swedish defenceman drafted by the canucks in '93, so he has some ties with that and may have played with Linden in '97 before Linden was traded. Has been the assistant coach with Skellefteå of the SHL the last 4 years, making it to the finals all 4 years and winning it the last 2 :) ... why not, may get our Swedish players motivated :) ... or try him out as an assistant.

Big Bert is still at it? I remember Keenan playing him at forward to try to get some size up front.

None the less, I think a non-recycled North American coach is the way to go...i.e. Desjardins

Not denying his skill but that might be a bit of a jump jrs to NHL. If people are a shade skeptical regarding Willie Desjardin (I'd like to coin the nickname WD40 for him if he is hired) I can see them being even more skeptical of MJ.

Not denying his ability, I liked him when he was an assistant on Crows staff

Sounds like Desjardins has met many mandatory requirements:

- He already has a nickname - WD40 (good one)

- Nice 'stache

- Coached in Medicine Hat (Linden's former team)

- Born in Climax Sask.

He's probably a pretty good coach too.

bring back crow!

Last sugeestion I expected to see. But, Linden said in an interview after he retired his two favorite coaches during his career were AV and Crow. Said both had a strong structure to their systems.

I would love Blashill, but it's not happening. Holland has already said he won't grant him permission to talk to any teams, considering Babcock's contract ends next year.

So in that case, I go with Stevens.

I have a lot of respect for the Detroit organization but this is something that I find somewhat selfish on their part. I have to think Blashill has head coach aspirations and would like to be given a chance at a an interview if chosen. Detroits management seems to be standing in the way of him acquiring an NHL coaching job which is quite unfair. Although, it is his choice to continue to sign extensions already knowing they wont grant permission to other teams for interviews so many he's content where he is so, I don't know, but I have to believe he wants to at least get a taste of being a bench boss behind an NHL bench.

Crow was the best coach we had in decades, i would do that.

One of the most ridiculous things i've ever seen on here. Crawford wasn't the best coach Canucks have had in decades. That would be Quinn and AV. Crawford had no playoff success here and there's also the matter of Bertuzzi/Moore situation. I can't imagine Linden and Benning would be foolish enough to bring him back. Why bring back retread/recycle coach? For nostalgia. If he was so sought after then why he is coaching over in Europe.

Archived