The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The I Support BC Teachers thread

Langdon Algur

I hope the teachers lost.

Teenager who doesn't understand life. Teachers, students, parents, everyone has already lost. This wasn't about winning or losing, nor should it be about making generalizations about an entire group. There are honest and caring people within that group of teachers and you're hoping that negative things happen to them. Time to grow up a little and look at the bigger picture.

Hopefully...hopefully the union didn't agree to sign that away... we have to wait to see what the deal says.

If they didn't there is zero reason for the goverment to sign. After all, if it's going to the courts anyways, any agreement made wouldn't be worth the paper it's written on.

This is one of those situations where everybody loses...

Time to move forward. I'm just glad it's over (pending the vote) and my daughter can get back to school...

Don't count your chickens yet, the teachers still have to vote....

And if the goverenment got it's way, I bet a bunch vote against.

If the goverenment didn't get it's way, the big court case coming up will bring disruption right back into the scene as soon as it raises it's head, very much a kicking the can down the road scenario.

Interested to hear the details as they come out.

Glad to get teachers back to work and kids back in school but so many underlying issues are bound to remain unsolved... We'll be back here again.

No matter how good a result I suspect the can is still kicked down the road.....

It will be interesting to see how things will go in a best case scenario of having new talks in five years. I assure you the financial situation of the goverment will most likely be even worse with the health care monster at godzilla proportions.

No matter how good a result I suspect the can is still kicked down the road.....

It will be interesting to see how things will go in a best case scenario of having new talks in five years. I assure you the financial situation of the goverment will most likely be even worse with the health care monster at godzilla proportions.

Too bad there's no government reform on the horizon eh?

Teachers basically back off most $ requests, but keep E80 out of the discussion.

So, the court case is still on the table.

So either the government uses the fact that it actually negotiated to win the court case.

OR

If they loose, and it's a couple billion dollars in settlement........

Appeal to supreme court of Canada. Rip up contract. Lock out teachers until resolution that gets rid of court case is agreed up as part of new agreement.

I don't say this as a spite, I say it because it's the future.

Those are the consequences of kicking the can down the road.

So either the government uses the fact that it actually negotiated to win the court case.

OR

If they loose, and it's a couple billion dollars in settlement........

Appeal to supreme court of Canada. Rip up contract. Lock out teachers until resolution that gets rid of court case is agreed up as part of new agreement.

I don't say this as a spite, I say it because it's the future.

Those are the consequences of kicking the can down the road.

LOSE. How many times are you going to make that simple mistake lol.

The court case isn't about the current negotiations?

Surprised the gov caved on that as they will very likely lose again. They'll appeal again, but that's the last time.

Let's not put the cart before the horse. Unions can recommend acceptance but that doesn't guarantee a yes vote. If this tentative agreement does not address enough of what the teachers were looking for, why take it? Why strike for this long only to take a bum deal?

What I don't understand is, the teachers voted yes last week to accept binding arbitration - why do they need to vote again?

What I don't understand is, the teachers voted yes last week to accept binding arbitration - why do they need to vote again?

Really?

That was to vote to go to binding arbitration, this is to vote on this contract. Two totally separate things... How do you not get this?

Really?

That was to vote to go to binding arbitration, this is to vote on this contract. Two totally separate things... How do you not get this?

It's just like a strike vote. You aren't voting to go on strike right away, you are giving the union the power to strike on your behalf. Any action a union takes needs it's members to endorse it. Every vote done is for a different reason. Strike vote. Arbitration vote. Contract vote. All issues are seperate voting items.

I sincerely hope that this is a good deal for the teachers of this province as you can almost guarantee that many are voting yes due to their financial situation; which I am sure that the government negotiators were banking on by getting a deal to the table to vote on.

Really?

The vote, i thought, was to accept binding arbitration.

So, whatever comes out of the session means the teachers have accepted it.

Otherwise, what's the point?

How do you not get that?

How do you not get that?

They weren't in arbitration, (the government never accepted/agreed to it). They were in mediation. Hence it's completely unrelated.

How do you not get that?

I'm struggling to understand how you are not getting this. Binding arbitration and the current contract under question have absolutely, not one iota of a thing to do with each other.

I continue to feel you really are just trolling this whole thread.

I'm struggling to understand how you are not getting this. Binding arbitration and the current contract under question have absolutely, not one iota of a thing to do with each other.

I continue to feel you really are just trolling this whole thread.

I continue to feel that you are really just looking to attack me personally no matter which thread I post in.

Seriously dude, smarten up.

It was a legitimate question and J.R. set me straight - and he did so with out being a condescending you know what.

I continue to feel that you are really just looking to attack me personally no matter which thread I post in.

Seriously dude, smarten up.

It was a legitimate question and J.R. set me straight - and he did so with out being a condescending you know what.

Personal attack? You asked a ridiculously dumb question, especially for someone who claims to be engaged and interested in this process. I'm not saying you are dumb, but your question was.

Personal attack? You asked a ridiculously dumb question, especially for someone who claims to be engaged and interested in this process. I'm not saying you are dumb, but your question was.

Yet you call me a troll every chance you get....right...

Archived