The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The I Support BC Teachers thread

Langdon Algur

Instead they waste our tax dollars on misleading advertising...

Province once again rejects BCTF’s call for binding arbitration

Education minister calls the request a “ploy” to gain public support

Anita Bathe September 8, 2014 3:23 pm

VICTORIA (NEWS1130) – BC’s education minister is once again rejecting a proposal from the BC Teachers’ Federation for binding arbitration.

Peter Fassbender says there are two very clear things in his mind. “One, I believe the BCTF executive knew when they called for [binding arbitration] that this government would not agree to it. That ploy was to make them look like they’re trying to be reasonable, trying to come to a path to a settlement through binding arbitration.”

He says the proposal for binding arbitration is the BCTF’s attempt to deflect any responsibilities from itself and put it all on the government. “I can say very clearly, we want to negotiate a settlement, we want a mediated settlement. We do not want the pre-conditions that have been put on, even in the suggestion of arbitration, those should not even be in the mediation discussions because that’s what mediation is all about.”

Fassbender says binding arbitration won’t be considered by the government because it takes the responsibility away from both parties and gives it to a third-party. “That is not in the cards. It is not fiscally responsible to do that for the taxpayers of British Columbia.”

“Today I am saying to Mr. Iker, if you’re serious about wanting to get a settlement, why do you not do what I asked you a week-and-a-half ago? Ask your members this Wednesday for the ability for the executive to suspend strike action for whatever period of time would be involved for us to negotiate and mediate a final settlement.”

When it comes to the issues of class size and composition, Fassbender says the government wants to negotiate those at the table. ”When I had Mr. Iker and Mr. Cameron in my office, I said ‘let us take the court case and any attendent results of any grievances that are attached and put it to the side until it runs its course. None of us know how long that’s going to be, let’s park it. But, let’s deal with class size and composition at the bargaining table.”

He adds it even says in the court ruling those issues should be dealt with at the table. “The ruling was based on a previous contract, that contract no longer exists. To suggest you put everything aside until a court rules means that we’re not going to negotiate class size and composition? We need to negotiate it, we’ve said that.”

Earlier, Iker announced teachers would vote on Wednesday on whether to end the strike if the province agreed to binding arbitration.

http://www.news1130.com/2014/09/08/province-once-again-rejects-bctfs-call-for-binding-arbitration/

Why not just skip a step and send the lawyers to the negotiating table and to do the press conferences? That would at least be more transparent.

(Hint: Both sides are basically reading prepped statements by their respective lawyers.)

Which, btw, means this won't end well.

Why not just skip a step and send the lawyers to the negotiating table and to do the press conferences? That would at least be more transparent.

(Hint: Both sides are basically reading prepped statements by their respective lawyers.)

Which, btw, means this won't end well.

Yes that would be better. Though I doubt lawyers are writing CC's speeches based on the last debacle of one she gave.

I took the day off yesterday and brought my cute fluffy little white dog to the school by my house to run the gauntlet of picketers and bolster the ranks....and give my dog massive amounts of the neck scritches he craves. I was very disappointed to find I was unwelcome and asked to leave because some of the people were not dog lovers. Cupe was also picketing in solidarity and some of them had brought their dogs and were also asked to picket away from the BCTF line and stay on the grass field. I would like to hear from any of the teachers if there is a policy to ask dog owners to leave and also to explain why there is hostility to people coming to offer support.

To be clear, I said nothing about the strike, only about how much my dog loves the attention. The day before I walked by the line on my morning walk and everyone was happy go lucky and gave my dog lots of love. What happened between Monday and Tuesday????

I took the day off yesterday and brought my cute fluffy little white dog to the school by my house to run the gauntlet of picketers and bolster the ranks....and give my dog massive amounts of the neck scritches he craves. I was very disappointed to find I was unwelcome and asked to leave because some of the people were not dog lovers. Cupe was also picketing in solidarity and some of them had brought their dogs and were also asked to picket away from the BCTF line and stay on the grass field. I would like to hear from any of the teachers if there is a policy to ask dog owners to leave and also to explain why there is hostility to people coming to offer support.

To be clear, I said nothing about the strike, only about how much my dog loves the attention. The day before I walked by the line on my morning walk and everyone was happy go lucky and gave my dog lots of love. What happened between Monday and Tuesday????

My hope would be that someone in the group was allergic to dogs. Other than that, the only explanation I could come up with is that some people are just plain rude. As far as I'm aware there is no "dog policy". Where I picket we'd welcome supporters with open arms.

on monday night the dog union came out against the teachers union. Something about refusing to teach them new tricks...

on monday night the dog union came out against the teachers union. Something about refusing to teach them new tricks...

I would point out that the problem was with the old dogs, not the young ones. However I note that the policy seems, on the surface at least, to involve discrimination based on age.

http://t.news.ca.msn.com/canada/unions-crank-up-heat-as-teachers-strike-continues

"

VANCOUVER - Pressure appears to be mounting on the British Columbia government to accept binding arbitration to resolve the ongoing teachers' strike as a group of unions offered millions of dollars in loans to the educators and the premier was publicly heckled.

Nine unions banded together Wednesday to announce $8 million in interest-free loans for financially struggling B.C. Teachers' Federation members, who voted the same day on their union's proposal of binding arbitration to end the conflict.

"It's not going to be money that's going to end this dispute. No one will be starved out here," said B.C. Federation of Labour president Jim Sinclair, flanked by eight labour leaders who vowed support for teachers outside a Vancouver high school.

"It's going to be (Premier) Christy Clark who must end this dispute by going to arbitration and solving the problems," Sinclair said.

Along with the loans, the B.C. Nurses' Union, which will soon be negotiating its own contract ending in March, donated $500,000 to the teachers' union to ensure the government does not "bleed them dry," said president Gayle Duteil."

Wow, big step up. I'm usually a critic of the mostly useless BC Fed but this outstanding.

I'm gonna assume the Liberal govt. is somehow to blame for that?

They wouldn't be picketing if the Libs hadn't illegally ripped up their contract...so ya, they are to blame for this.

Archived