The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder

William_Clarkson

I would like to see him on the wing, he needs to change is style to a St louis or a Marchand style.

He's needs to add another demension like grit.

Keeping him with Kesler/Horvat/Schroeder

Similar to Smith/ Bergereon/ Marchand

At 23, we should be seeing at least some level of improvement. By the rate that he's going, Schroeder wouldn't be an NHL regular until he's 30.

I'm surprised at how patient people are with failed prospects, but I guess hope goes a long way when there's nothing else to believe in.

You want to see what a successful draft pick turns into? Try following a few other teams besides the Canucks.

Brendan Saad - drafted 43rd overall (2011) 21 years old

Brendan Gallagher - drafted 147 overall (2010) 22 years old

Andrew Shaw - drafted 139th overall (2011) 22 years old

Reilly Smith - drafted 69th overall (2009) 23 years old

To be fair, he had an unbelievably unlucky year. He was injured all summer so that definitely hurt him, comes back gets injured blocking a shot, comes back too early and re-injures the same injury. He was improving steadily every year in the AHL and in the lockout shortened season he actually held his own defensively. I think he still has upside, but as others have said, he needs to add some intensity to his game. He plays far too passive and is outmatched up the middle in the Pacific division. I think giving up on him given his circumstances and not even seeing him play a full year would be foolish. He'll have had all summer to train and will come in fully prepared for next year. I think he deserves another chance before we cut him loose.

I want him to stay because he has all the skill in the world to be a Little/Roy/St.Louis-esque player, he just needs the right coach.

St. Louis has had a great career. But most small high-skill guys who do not show much ability to score at the NHL level by about age 24 never do. 19 out of 20 either give up or become career minor leaguers. There a few guys who make it, but the odds are against Schroeder.

However, I will admit that he never had a chance with Torts as a coach. It is hard to believe how bad Torts was.

There is no real harm in re-signing Schroeder and giving him one more chance, but I think the odds are pretty good that Benning lets him go. It is hard to see his RFA rights being worth anything in a trade.

St. Louis has had a great career. But most small high-skill guys who do not show much ability to score at the NHL level by about age 24 never do. 19 out of 20 either give up or become career minor leaguers. There a few guys who make it, but the odds are against Schroeder.

However, I will admit that he never had a chance with Torts as a coach. It is hard to believe how bad Torts was.

There is no real harm in re-signing Schroeder and giving him one more chance, but I think the odds are pretty good that Benning lets him go. It is hard to see his RFA rights being worth anything in a trade.

I don't think Benning will let Jordan go, he has alot of skill and power for his height. LIke I said, he has Marchand potenial and I believe Benning will see this and sign him to a 2 year deal.

At 23, we should be seeing at least some level of improvement. By the rate that he's going, Schroeder wouldn't be an NHL regular until he's 30.

I'm surprised at how patient people are with failed prospects, but I guess hope goes a long way when there's nothing else to believe in.

You want to see what a successful draft pick turns into? Try following a few other teams besides the Canucks.

Brendan Saad - drafted 43rd overall (2011) 21 years old

Brendan Gallagher - drafted 147 overall (2010) 22 years old

Andrew Shaw - drafted 139th overall (2011) 22 years old

Reilly Smith - drafted 69th overall (2009) 23 years old

Reilly Smith didn't put up special numbers until this season. Gustav Nyquist, while destroying the AHL, didn't put up notable numbers in the AHL until this season. (6 pts in 22 games in 2012/13 season)

Its not uncommon for some players to take longer.

Not that I'm saying Schroeder will be like any of those two players. (I agree a good chance he busts)But given he and Dalpe were essentially stapled to the 4th line for most of the season, its not surprising they didn't put up any meaningful numbers.

Scratch that

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Schroeder Kesler Iginla

Booth Matthias Kassian

Sestito Lain Hansen

Archibald

Lop off Higgins and Richardson cause we have to. Not cause they arent good players. Need room for youth.

Small players have to play smart and make plays. I haven't seen enough of that when the puck has been on his stick. Who knows he could evolve, but I've seen very little to suggest it might at the NHL level.

I think there is a fair chance he clears waivers, I don't see any team opening a roster spot for him ( how many first rounders have we picked up in the past off the waiver wire?) The realistic view of him is 2 or 3 years of development. That's a lot of time in today's NHL.

Geez you cannot compare all small players and project they will be effective OR not. It all come down to the players gumption, smarts and physical ability plus development arc. Some turn out alright, a lot do not.

As far as Schroeder goes maybe he will improve maybe he wont, but he has done nothing so far but get hurt. It has to raise red flags. In my opinion it really depends on what goals the canucks have this year, if they sign some free agents and ice a cap team again I do not see a spot for him.

Archived