The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning has placed offer for 1st overall; impressed by local prospect Reinhart

TheRussianRocket.

I've been contemplating back and forth but I feel like we should just stand pat at #6.

Tanev is only 24 years old and is our 2nd best defensive dman. He's on our 1st PK unit for a reason and we shouldn't trade him away (and whoever else) to move up 5 spots in a mediocre draft.

At #6 we can draft one of Draisaitl, Dal Colle, Nylander or Ehlers.

We are guaranteed one of those players! And we keep Tanev + whatever else Tallon is asking for.

If we trade Kesler to the Ducks for Etem + 10th + Sorenson/Perreault then we can draft Virtanen/Fleury/Kapanen/Tuch with the 10th!

When its all said and done the Canucks would leave the draft with: (Example) Ehlers + Virtanen + Etem + Sorenson/Perreault.

Lineup in 2014-2015:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Burrows-Santorelli-Jensen

Etem-Horvat-Higgins

Hansen-Richardson-Matthias

* Don't think Shinkaruk will be NHL ready to start the season because of the injury he had this past season but I expect him to rip it up in the A and be called up.

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Tanev

Garrison - Corrado

Stanton

Lack

Markstom

It's pathetic how Reinhart is so overrated on this forum. People are treating him and acting like he's going to be the next Toews/Bergeron. He's not going to be anywhere near as good as they are. Don't get me wrong, he's going to be a good, solid two way 1st line centre, but the amount of hype that this kid is getting is uncalled for.

Giving up and arm and a leg for Reinhart is unnessacary and pointless. We would have to give up Horvat + 6th OVR pick or something like that to get him. I would MUCH rather keep Horvat and draft Nylander with the 6th pick, rather than wasting them both on one player that is extremely overrated and is only getting so much hype because he's a hometown, local boy. He's not even ranked 1st on alot of scout's rankings. The majority of the rankings out there have Ekblad or Bennett ranked 1st. And rightly so.

I hope Benning makes the right decision and realizes that all he needs to do to come out of this draft with two picks in the top 10 is trade Kesler to Anaheim in exchange for the 10th OVR pick, 24th OVR pick and Theodore. Simple as that. If he wants to make a splash early, this is his chance. Could even throw in our 36th OVR to sweeten the deal for Anaheim if needed.

So do you buy your Crystal Balls or do you find them?

not enough. Way off. Hansen is worth nothing

Tanev and the #6 pick isn't worth nothing though. I can't see the logic in trading Tanev, he's Vans best young d-man by a fair margin. If we had the 12-15th pick and wanted to move up then I could see making a trade involving Tanev. The thing is, the #6 pick offers an opportunity to get a very good young player. Trading two good young players for one good young player is not smart business

Guest Dasein

It's pathetic how Reinhart is so overrated on this forum. People are treating him and acting like he's going to be the next Toews/Bergeron. He's not going to be anywhere near as good as they are. Don't get me wrong, he's going to be a good, solid two way 1st line centre, but the amount of hype that this kid is getting is uncalled for.

Giving up and arm and a leg for Reinhart is unnessacary and pointless. We would have to give up Horvat + 6th OVR pick or something like that to get him. I would MUCH rather keep Horvat and draft Nylander with the 6th pick, rather than wasting them both on one player that is extremely overrated and is only getting so much hype because he's a hometown, local boy. He's not even ranked 1st on alot of scout's rankings. The majority of the rankings out there have Ekblad or Bennett ranked 1st. And rightly so.

I hope Benning makes the right decision and realizes that all he needs to do to come out of this draft with two picks in the top 10 is trade Kesler to Anaheim in exchange for the 10th OVR pick, 24th OVR pick and Theodore. Simple as that. If he wants to make a splash early, this is his chance. Could even throw in our 36th OVR to sweeten the deal for Anaheim if needed.

He is certainly going to be better than Bergeron, and he's within range of Toews.

not enough. Way off. Hansen is worth nothing

A Swiss army knife of a player that can slot in seamlessly between the 2nd and 4th lines plays well defensively puts up 40+ point seasons and is a pk genius is worth nothing?

GMMG is that you?

Does anyone worry about the speed of Reinhart and how it might transition to the nhl? We always draft slow centers like Hodgson, Gaunce, and Horvat, and from what I've seen of Reinhart he doesn't have the best foot speed, which is fine in Junior but in the pro's that time and space shrinks a lot.....

A Swiss army knife of a player that can slot in seamlessly between the 2nd and 4th lines plays well defensively puts up 40+ point seasons and is a pk genius is worth nothing?

GMMG is that you?

Hansen, 6th overall, and Tanev for the 1st overall pick. Thats a fking joke for Florida. He does not put up 40 point season plz know ur facts for that. Hes awful for the 2nd line.

Hansen, 6th overall, and Tanev for the 1st overall pick. Thats a fking joke for Florida. He does not put up 40 point season plz know ur facts for that. Hes awful for the 2nd line.

He doesn't put up 40 points, but he's always been in the 25-30 range, which is solid production for the bottom six.

For people saying we shouldn't trade up for the 1st overall because we will get a player that is just as good with the 6th...

2011 - 1st overall RNH , 6th overall Mika Zibanejad. RNH is the better player.

2010 - 1st overall Taylor Hall , 6th overall Brett Connolly. Hall is the better player.

2009 - 1st overall John Tavares , 6th overall OEL. Tavares is the better player.

2008 - 1st overall Steven Stamkos , 6th overall Nikita Filatov. Stamkos is the better player.

2007 - 1st overall Patrick Kane , 6th overall Sam Gagner. Kane is the better player.

2006 - 1st overall Erik Johnson , 6th overall Derrick Brassard. Johnson is the better player.

2005 - 1st overall Sidney Crosby , 6th overall Gilbert Brule.

2004 - 1st overall Alex Ovechkin , 6th overall Al Montoya. Ovechkin is the better player.

2003 - 1st overall MA Fleury , 6th overall Milan Michalek. MA Fleury is the better player.

I left out 2012 and 2013 since its too early to decide.

So as you can see the 1st overall pick is always better than the 6th. People have misconceptions of this draft when they hear it is "weak". It is a weak draft because it does not have the type of depth that is normal in any other draft, NOT because the players at the top will not turn into first line/franchise players.

If we can move up for the right price then we should. People think we can get a player at 6th who will be just as good as the player chosen at 1st, that's not true.

btw I'm not saying trade Horvat+6th for the 1st that is just ridiculous, I think our untouchable prospects should be Horvat, Shinkaruk, and Jensen.

There's a small (ok miniscule) chance that Reinhart falls to 6

Fla - Ekblad

Buf - Bennett

Edm - Draisaitl

Cal - Ritchie/Virtanen (this is the big wild card)

Nyi - Reinhart/Dal Colle

Obviously this is just based off the many rumors out there about which teams like which player but this would be an amazing situation if we could get either Reinhart or Dal colle at 6.

There's a small (ok miniscule) chance that Reinhart falls to 6

Fla - Ekblad

Buf - Bennett

Edm - Draisaitl

Cal - Ritchie/Virtanen (this is the big wild card)

Nyi - Reinhart/Dal Colle

Obviously this is just based off the many rumors out there about which teams like which player but this would be an amazing situation if we could get either Reinhart or Dal colle at 6.

Minuscule chance= he gets in car crash the next 3 or 4 days and suffers permanent damage. Reinhart does not make it passed 3rd or 4th.

I could see Bennett sliding to 6th as a result of his "performance" at the combine

For people saying we shouldn't trade up for the 1st overall because we will get a player that is just as good with the 6th...

2011 - 1st overall RNH , 6th overall Mika Zibanejad. RNH is the better player.

2010 - 1st overall Taylor Hall , 6th overall Brett Connolly. Hall is the better player.

2009 - 1st overall John Tavares , 6th overall OEL. Tavares is the better player.

2008 - 1st overall Steven Stamkos , 6th overall Nikita Filatov. Stamkos is the better player.

2007 - 1st overall Patrick Kane , 6th overall Sam Gagner. Kane is the better player.

2006 - 1st overall Erik Johnson , 6th overall Derrick Brassard. Johnson is the better player.

2005 - 1st overall Sidney Crosby , 6th overall Gilbert Brule.

2004 - 1st overall Alex Ovechkin , 6th overall Al Montoya. Ovechkin is the better player.

2003 - 1st overall MA Fleury , 6th overall Milan Michalek. MA Fleury is the better player.

I left out 2012 and 2013 since its too early to decide.

So as you can see the 1st overall pick is always better than the 6th. People have misconceptions of this draft when they hear it is "weak". It is a weak draft because it does not have the type of depth that is normal in any other draft, NOT because the players at the top will not turn into first line/franchise players.

If we can move up for the right price then we should. People think we can get a player at 6th who will be just as good as the player chosen at 1st, that's not true.

btw I'm not saying trade Horvat+6th for the 1st that is just ridiculous, I think our untouchable prospects should be Horvat, Shinkaruk, and Jensen.

No, 1st overall isn't always better. Good job cherry picking stats. There have been busts and first overall too.

No, 1st overall isn't always better. Good job cherry picking stats. There have been busts and first overall too.

How about the next 5 drafts after 2003?

2002 Draft - 1st overall Rick Nash , 6th overall Scottie Upshall. Rick Nash is the better player.

2001 Draft - 1st overall Ilya Kovalchuk , 6th overall Mikko Koivu. Kovalchuk is the better player.

2000 Draft - 1st overall Rick Dipietro , 6th overall Scott Hartnell. Scott Hartnell is the better player. (I know you won't, but i'm ignoring this year, DiPietro is a goalie, we're not taking a goalie first overall)

1999 Draft - 1st overall Patrick Stefan , 6th overall Brian Finley. Stefan is the better player.

1998 Draft - 1st overall Vincent Lecavalier , 6th overall Rico Fata. Lecavalier is the better player.

You have to go all the way back to 1993 to find a player who was selected 1st overall and was not better than the 6th overall pick. Alexandre Daigle and Viktor Kozlov. The next 1st overall pick that was not better than the 6th overall pick was in 1986.

So only one first overall pick in 25 years did not turn out better than the 6th overall pick.

I like our chances ;)

(and because you won't believe me you can check for yourself. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/index.html)

How about the next 5 drafts after 2003?

2002 Draft - 1st overall Rick Nash , 6th overall Scottie Upshall. Rick Nash is the better player.

2001 Draft - 1st overall Ilya Kovalchuk , 6th overall Mikko Koivu. Kovalchuk is the better player.

2000 Draft - 1st overall Rick Dipietro , 6th overall Scott Hartnell. Scott Hartnell is the better player. (I know you won't, but i'm ignoring this year, DiPietro is a goalie, we're not taking a goalie first overall)

1999 Draft - 1st overall Patrick Stefan , 6th overall Brian Finley. Stefan is the better player.

1998 Draft - 1st overall Vincent Lecavalier , 6th overall Rico Fata. Lecavalier is the better player.

You have to go all the way back to 1993 to find a player who was selected 1st overall and was not better than the 6th overall pick. Alexandre Daigle and Viktor Kozlov. The next 1st overall pick that was not better than the 6th overall pick was in 1986.

So only one first overall pick in 25 years did not turn out better than the 6th overall pick.

I like our chances ;)

(and because you won't believe me you can check for yourself. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/index.html)

You specifically said the first overall is ALWAYS better. You provide examples where that isn't the case.

LOL, Stefan may be "better" than the other guy, but he is still a bust. In that year, we picked the Sedins right after at 2 and 3. We got the better players that year. And yes, DiPietro still counts, whether you like it or not. Hall may be the better player, but that doesn't mean Zibanejad sucks.

And I looked at that site, and it's rather convenient you decided to stop at 1998. Remember Alexander Daigle? He was first overall and a bust. The fact is, there have been busts at first overall. Just because there are a lot that weren't, doesn't mean it can't happen again. Knowing our luck, we pick Reinhart and he becomes a bust.

Ryan Smith, Paul Coffey, and Peter Forsberg were picked at 6th. What do you think about them?

Archived