The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PC Gaming Thread

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/05/2016 at 4:31 AM, DollarAndADream said:

Anybody play Kathy Rain? I've heard good things about it.

No, not yet. But I'm going to get it soon enough. Looks like one of the better adventure games to come out in the last year. Will definitely post my thoughts when I play it.

edit: Surprised to see someone post about the game here at all though. More people need to talk about adventure games, lol.

Edited by g_bassi13
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, g_bassi13 said:

No, not yet. But I'm going to get it soon enough. Looks like one of the better adventure games to come out in the last year. Will definitely post my thoughts when I play it.

edit: Surprised to see someone post about the game here at all though. More people need to talk about adventure games, lol.

I actually heard about it from Life Is Strange fans on Reddit. There are some LiS references in the game a little bit, but also it looks like a great game.

I'll probably grab it soon enough.

I'm disproportionately excited for this game coming out called "Sometimes Always Monsters", sequel to "Always Sometimes Monsters", coming out sometime this year. I really enjoyed the last game, did a decently sized review for the first game in the "Rate the last game you played" thread. 

It was often flawed, often mundane, and the writers got their heads lost up their asses at least a couple of times through the story.

But honestly, there's no game out there that does what this one did. A half RPG/half adventure game where you simply go through the trivial and dramatic parts of life? Make no mistake your characters life is not boring, and their story is interesting, but there aren't games where you play as a broke, unmotivated, heartbroken author? What games let you hobo your way across the country to stop a wedding? How many games are there out there that are dramatic takes on what is simply life? And which of any of those combines all that with the ability for you shape the life of your character and those around them with choices about said life?

It was a unique specimen, so I want to see what the sequel is like. Highly upgraded graphics aside, I just hope the writing stays grounded.

What may be my most anticipated PC game at the moment also released a trailer late last month that I'm just seeing for the first time as well. They're finally showing what Syberia 3 will look like, and it looks gorgeous. The game has been delayed umpteen times, with no real news or tangible proof of its progress, so this trailer showing it in its full 3D rendered glory is quite great.

Most adventure game fans will remember Syberia 1 and 2 from what is nearly a decade and a half ago, now.

On 2016-06-13 at 9:39 PM, g_bassi13 said:

I'm disproportionately excited for this game coming out called "Sometimes Always Monsters", sequel to "Always Sometimes Monsters", coming out sometime this year. I really enjoyed the last game, did a decently sized review for the first game in the "Rate the last game you played" thread. 

It was often flawed, often mundane, and the writers got their heads lost up their asses at least a couple of times through the story.

But honestly, there's no game out there that does what this one did. A half RPG/half adventure game where you simply go through the trivial and dramatic parts of life? Make no mistake your characters life is not boring, and their story is interesting, but there aren't games where you play as a broke, unmotivated, heartbroken author? What games let you hobo your way across the country to stop a wedding? How many games are there out there that are dramatic takes on what is simply life? And which of any of those combines all that with the ability for you shape the life of your character and those around them with choices about said life?

It was a unique specimen, so I want to see what the sequel is like. Highly upgraded graphics aside, I just hope the writing stays grounded.

I've never even heard of this, but it definitely sounds up my alley.

13 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

I've never even heard of this, but it definitely sounds up my alley.

I'd recommend it lightly. But personally, the game stuck with me very strongly for reasons I'm not entirely sure about. I just think it's more about what and how the game approached what it did.

It gets a bit dark, but I think the moral questions it poses and makes you choose from are essentially what make it. You start the game listless, penniless, unemployed and essentially homeless (the latter three because of your listlessness). You can take shortcuts towards your goals, or making money, or physically getting from A to B to C, but then there are often direct consequences to such things.

I suppose at the heart of it you have to be interested in the storyline of your cross country trip to stop your ex-girlfriend (or boyfriend) from marrying the supposedly wrong person. For me it worked in that it feels like your character was inherently the wrong person, until you take control of them. Then there's some sort of awakening involved from their downward spiral.

I just think the game is very cool, if a bit awkward. Or really, a lot awkward. It's just that it was essentially conceptualised from the base up, to be entirely up my alley.

1 hour ago, DollarAndADream said:

@g_bassi13 I've never even heard of Syberia. Should I play 1+2?

It totally depends on your mileage with adventure games. Won't change your opinion on them one way or the other.

They may be my favourite of any in the genre.

The visuals are definitely dated in that the games themselves are quite old now. But not so much that they detract from the game or its presentation too much.

Really, the game is just the most whimsical of any I've ever played. I don't quite know how else to put it. They're about mystery and wonderment. They do it without being childish or cartoony either.  A tad bit feminine, but in a unique way.

It all gets weirdly tense, too. It's not light hearted. It's pretty cinematic. There's this tinge to the atmosphere of it all that's hard to explain, or equate to with an example.

edit: I'm totally overselling it, I know. I just happen to really love the series.

Edited by g_bassi13

Just played through Ori and the Blind Forest and Never Alone. I highly recommend both for story, gameplay, visuals and soundtrack (in ascending order) especially if they're part of the Steam Summer Sale.

One of the most beneficial updates I've seen Steam implement was the 'Recent' game review feature. Thanks to that, I feel convinced that Arkham Knight will be fully functional on my new gaming PC and worth spending my money on during the next sale.

Edit: One downside about Ori and the Blind Forest is that before you use the Sunstone to enter Mount Horu, you should copy your save file in case you want to keep exploring and achievement-hunting with your full set of navigation abilities. Once you enter the final escape in Mount Horu, you will be locked into finishing the story, and the save file is no longer accessible for exploration when you beat the game.

Edited by Neil HD