The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PC Gaming Thread

God, getting hammered in the Napoleon campaign. Not yet actually, but at war with the UK, Prussia, Austria, Turks, Russians, the Dutch..

Little man cannot win with his infantry de ligne?

Well f*ck.

I was reading a review for MGS V on IGN, and I stupidly scrolled all the way down to the first two comments. Both gave the major spoiler away. Hopefully it's all a lie, but I woefully regret looking at that comments section :(

Everybody dies. In the prequel.

Little man cannot win with his infantry de ligne?

Everybody dies. In the prequel.

I can win :@. I killed Horatio Nelson for starters! I guess Russell Crowe can't brag about him in Master and Commander as much now! Ha!

I think blood effects in this Darthmod are weak compared to those in Empire. Very sad :(. Unrelated to DM though, I like how you can turn nations into protectorates. I've been doing that with some. Creating a buffer between me and those bastards to the east.

Edited by Tortorella's Rant

The only time I get all "PC MASTER RACE" is when Console gamers talk smack about FPSs. I mean, anyone whose played hours of both will basically never deny that the mouse is far superior, and the only saving grace of the console FPSs is aim-assist.

RTSs, and MMOs will also always be king on computer. Consoles just don't have the longevity, let alone the storage space to be worth running a block buster MMO on, and RTSs are impossible without a mouse and keyboard. The only console RTS that actually felt really solid was Halo Wars, which was surprisingly good.

Console owns all the sports games. Madden, NHL, FIFA, NBA 2K, etc. The sports market on the PC has largely died off, because companies just don't want to deal with programming sports controls for a mouse and keyboard, or figuring out ways to map all the necessary keys to every control pad made in the last decade. Racing games are very similar.

RPGs have their places on both, with games like Dragon Age, and the Elder Scrolls are better on PC, and stuff like The Last of Us and Final Fantasy generally play better on consoles.

The only time I get all "PC MASTER RACE" is when Console gamers talk smack about FPSs. I mean, anyone whose played hours of both will basically never deny that the mouse is far superior, and the only saving grace of the console FPSs is aim-assist.

RTSs, and MMOs will also always be king on computer. Consoles just don't have the longevity, let alone the storage space to be worth running a block buster MMO on, and RTSs are impossible without a mouse and keyboard. The only console RTS that actually felt really solid was Halo Wars, which was surprisingly good.

Console owns all the sports games. Madden, NHL, FIFA, NBA 2K, etc. The sports market on the PC has largely died off, because companies just don't want to deal with programming sports controls for a mouse and keyboard, or figuring out ways to map all the necessary keys to every control pad made in the last decade. Racing games are very similar.

RPGs have their places on both, with games like Dragon Age, and the Elder Scrolls are better on PC, and stuff like The Last of Us and Final Fantasy generally play better on consoles.

You guys are missing one MAJOR point about PC gaming and why it's vastly superior, and that is game development. Gaming has gone digital, and the PC is the place for indie gamers and small/individual devs. The PC dev community is vast and diverse. The modding community is vast and diverse. The one MAJOR drawback to this is early access. But for one crap developer who is either too greedy or too incompetent to put out a decent product, there are many more who are pushing the boundaries of gaming or simply making a niche game for a small market that a console would never bother with. If you're not into AAA gaming, it'll always be PC for you.

Beyond that, I have a Xbox controller for the PC. I have a strong enough system to run emulators. I have FIFA 15 and NBA 2K15 for the PC. They both run fine. I get to play the sports games I want (minus NHL, but I have Eastside Hockey Manager), and I got them all on sale. The initial investment cost way more for the PC than the console, but games are much, MUCH cheaper (Steam sales, Green Man Gaming sales, Humble Bundles, etc) and I can do way more with a PC than with a console.

Sometimes the PC can be seen as a bit antisocial (you don't usually bring friends over to play one PC), but you have Skype and the longevity of PC mulitplayer. People still play games from the 1990s online. Console game servers go down within years or less.

For me, it's all for fun. I also wanted to see if anybody thought the same thing as me; is that a retarded cousin of Zack Kassian?

You guys are missing one MAJOR point about PC gaming and why it's vastly superior, and that is game development. Gaming has gone digital, and the PC is the place for indie gamers and small/individual devs. The PC dev community is vast and diverse. The modding community is vast and diverse. The one MAJOR drawback to this is early access. But for one crap developer who is either too greedy or too incompetent to put out a decent product, there are many more who are pushing the boundaries of gaming or simply making a niche game for a small market that a console would never bother with. If you're not into AAA gaming, it'll always be PC for you.

Beyond that, I have a Xbox controller for the PC. I have a strong enough system to run emulators. I have FIFA 15 and NBA 2K15 for the PC. They both run fine. I get to play the sports games I want (minus NHL, but I have Eastside Hockey Manager), and I got them all on sale. The initial investment cost way more for the PC than the console, but games are much, MUCH cheaper (Steam sales, Green Man Gaming sales, Humble Bundles, etc) and I can do way more with a PC than with a console.

Sometimes the PC can be seen as a bit antisocial (you don't usually bring friends over to play one PC), but you have Skype and the longevity of PC mulitplayer. People still play games from the 1990s online. Console game servers go down within years or less.

That's true for people like you and me, but a pretty good computer can be had for $500, especially if you go with used parts.

Some people do. They connect their computer to a large screen TV and hook up multiple controllers to the PC and game just like some do with consoles. That's one of the reasons why players, even up to a couple of years ago, would complain if a game came out with no multi-player options. Once cable companies started to open up their pipes and get ping times down, the internet multiplayer became the preferred way to game with friends on the PC. Anti-social comes from a person, not the platform. I know because I'm an anti-social PC gamer who prefers to play games with others over the internet rather than in person. If I enjoyed modern console gaming (which I don't), I would be the same way.

Edited by SabreFan1

Skype for gaming is awful. If you haven't tried using TeamSpeak you won't be able to understand how much better it is. But really I remember using Skype for a couple stubborn friends, and they all use TeamSpeak now. It's just so much better.

If you don't know anyone with a TeamSpeak server and want to try it out PM me and you can try the one I use.

Edited by LarsEller

I think anti-socialness on the PC is a strange issue. There are so many communities and games that are actually much better socially on the PC because it's not 10 5 year olds yelling expletives at each other over a microphone.

However, sometimes "ease of access" has really hurt PC gaming on a social level. World of Warcraft for instance use to be a much more social game. People where way more open to talking to each other, and you basically had to communicate to get things done. Now it's almost a wasteland of social interaction by comparison because you just click a button to get a group to do anything, no communication necessary. I think it's part of the reason the game has started to lose subscribers because the it's ruined the immersion and togetherness of being in that community. You might as well be running around with a bunch of NPCs.

Started Dark Souls prepare to die edition. Many fun times ahead.

"Fun"

Seriously though, I loved that game %95 of the time. The only time I didn't enjoy it was when I was constantly failing on the same thing and really, that's my own fault, not the games.

Hope you're enjoying it!

"Fun"

Seriously though, I loved that game %95 of the time. The only time I didn't enjoy it was when I was constantly failing on the same thing and really, that's my own fault, not the games.

Hope you're enjoying it!

It's probably the best game I've ever played. Gotta figure everything out yourself, and when you do you feel like a boss.