The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks GM Benning on No. 6 pick: 'We're going to be using that pick'

-Vintage Canuck-

Sounds more like the Canucks will not give up their top pick for any trades, not necessarily that they wont try to move up in the draft.

doesn't say that all... lol just means the canucks are keeping the media in the dark..

Could still trade it for reinhart maybe hes increasing its value to tallon to encourage a straight tanev plus 6th for 1st overall.

Either way good that player will cement our franchise. Hopesl ita ritchie. Nylander is way too small for the pacific division.

So you are saying that the pacific division will remain the same for the next 17 years? (Nylanders career estimate after being drafted 18-35 years old). Who's to say that Tanev would be involved in a trade to move up to the first overall pick? Remember just because it is being discussed on these boards, it doesn't mean it will happen in real life and trading your most promising young defender away would be a really dumb move by the Canucks if they are in a "re-tool". If you are saying that Benning is trying to increase the value of the 6th pick, didn't Tallon do the same when he said he would shop the pick but it wouldn't come for cheap? Kinda balances things out if it were that way, don't you think?

I am pretty certain the Canucks will remain at number 6 and pick up a fantastic player in Nylander. It's not always about being 6'5 and being able to hit other players. I personally think that Ritchie is a riskier pick than Nylander would be and I don't even have him going top 10. He could be the next Lucic, but so could have the other 47 players that were said to become the next Lucic as well. There are more Taylor Pyatts out there than there are Lucic's. Just saying. For all we know, Nylander could become the most successful player out of the bunch.

Would you rather have Patrick Kane or Dustin Penner? I mean sure Penner could probably run a guy over but come on. Size has become so overrated, i would rather have Gallagher than Sestito, the former 40+ goal scorer in the WHL.

Good, something Gillis rarely ever does (holds onto a first round pick). In the past 5 some odd years, most of the first rounders and even second rounders are proving to be among the top part of the scoring chart and effectiveness in the game.

2008 - Cody Hodgson (10th overall)

2009 - Jordan Schroeder (22nd overall)

2010 - traded 25th overall - went to the Stanley Cup finals following this

2011 - Nicklas Jensen (29th overall)

2012 - Brendan Gaunce (26th overall)

2013 - Bo Horvat (10th overall) Hunter Shinkaruk (24th overall)

What the fuck are you talking about? MG traded one first round pick in 6 years.

So you are saying that the pacific division will remain the same for the next 17 years? (Nylanders career estimate after being drafted 18-35 years old). Who's to say that Tanev would be involved in a trade to move up to the first overall pick? Remember just because it is being discussed on these boards, it doesn't mean it will happen in real life and trading your most promising young defender away would be a really dumb move by the Canucks if they are in a "re-tool". If you are saying that Benning is trying to increase the value of the 6th pick, didn't Tallon do the same when he said he would shop the pick but it wouldn't come for cheap? Kinda balances things out if it were that way, don't you think?

I am pretty certain the Canucks will remain at number 6 and pick up a fantastic player in Nylander. It's not always about being 6'5 and being able to hit other players. I personally think that Ritchie is a riskier pick than Nylander would be and I don't even have him going top 10. He could be the next Lucic, but so could have the other 47 players that were said to become the next Lucic as well. There are more Taylor Pyatts out there than there are Lucic's. Just saying. For all we know, Nylander could become the most successful player out of the bunch.

Would you rather have Patrick Kane or Dustin Penner? I mean sure Penner could probably run a guy over but come on. Size has become so overrated, i would rather have Gallagher than Sestito, the former 40+ goal scorer in the WHL.

From what everyone has been saying about Nylander I don't know why you would even trade up. It appears that Nylander has the highest ceiling of all the picks in this years draft and the fact that he could very well be available at the 6th overall pick why would you even give up anything when you could potentially be getting the best player in this draft in 3-4 years time.

"using".... could still mean using it to move up.

The quote is "We're going to be using that pick."

NOT- "We're going to be drafting with the pick."

Really could mean anything.

so basically we know the same thing before the thread as we do after? #thiswasfun

Yup

I hope you aren't serious....thats a lot to give up to move up a few spots don't you think?

dont mind him he hasnt clearly taken his meds today nd doesn't know hockey or trades. This Gaunce ,Tanev , Hansen + 6 th is bullshit !! it proves your incompitance !!!! oh and the whole " Kesler"" to Anahiem for 2 draft picks and prospects.. CDC cmon use your Brains..

Benning and T.L will do a fine job with the 6th pick...

2008 - Cody Hodgson (10th overall)

2009 - Jordan Schroeder (22nd overall)

2010 - traded 25th overall - went to the Stanley Cup finals following this

2011 - Nicklas Jensen (29th overall)

2012 - Brendan Gaunce (26th overall)

2013 - Bo Horvat (9th overall) Hunter Shinkaruk (24th overall)

What the frack are you talking about? MG traded one first round pick in 6 years.

25th overall Quinton Howden we missed out on him Fkn Gillis trades him for Steve Bernier and a another person can't remember exstent of the trade or who was all involved!

actually quite nice to see Linden and Benning play it close to the vest and just screw with the media. I am guessing they are smart enough to see how the media created so much controversy and a circus around the team in the past, so best way to manage them, ignore them and tell them nothing Eventually, they will get bored and move on since there is nothing to say! Smart play by our new team....

If we are going to rebuild fast in a weak draft, the more the merrier when it comes to picks. Giving up the 6th to move up is way too risky for me. If you can get another 1st rounder without giving up your 6th, great. 2 1sts gives us less of a chance we'll end up with a total bust.

not in a weak draft.

in a weak draft you try to get one of the top players, cause the other ones aren't going to make it

@SportsnetSpec

Jim Benning guarantee on Vancouver's No, 6 pick. "We're going to be using that pick." You can bet he won't trade No. 36 either.

Canucks won't be dealing the pick away. They'll pick at 6 at worst.

Spector is just speculating nothing more never ever see anything like the truth from that writer.

actually quite nice to see Linden and Benning play it close to the vest and just screw with the media. I am guessing they are smart enough to see how the media created so much controversy and a circus around the team in the past, so best way to manage them, ignore them and tell them nothing Eventually, they will get bored and move on since there is nothing to say! Smart play by our new team....

If they wanted to screw with the media they could've also reported Kesler was traded for Crosby and Malkin.

Get the NHL to print out a fake official agreement.

Archived