The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks GM Benning on No. 6 pick: 'We're going to be using that pick'

-Vintage Canuck-

Good, something Gillis rarely ever does (holds onto a first round pick). In the past 5 some odd years, most of the first rounders and even second rounders are proving to be among the top part of the scoring chart and effectiveness in the game.

I think that is unfair to say.

It is different if you trade a late 1st rounder/2nd rounder or a pick in the top 10. The picks that he did trade were used to bring in roster players to help them in the playoffs. If you are picking at 6th there is a reason you are there and shouldn't trade that pick unless it's for another prospect or a piece that would significantly help your team.

if you keep reading spectors twitter feed he elaborates on the quote some more:

1. He doesnt believe the canucks will out-right trade the pick for a player

2. He thinks they still could trade up which is why is specifically said "they will pick NO WORSE than 6th". I guess it also means that he also believes they wont trade down

Well….. there goes the trade rumours for the first overall pick…..

no, we could get 1st and still keep our 6th....its doubtful because other teams after that pick have more to offer. id like to see us get 10th and 24 and a prospect from ana. 3 1st round picks would be great.

If we are going to rebuild fast in a weak draft, the more the merrier when it comes to picks. Giving up the 6th to move up is way too risky for me. If you can get another 1st rounder without giving up your 6th, great. 2 1sts gives us less of a chance we'll end up with a total bust.

Or its possible Benning likes what he sees at 6 and actually plans on keeping the pick. He probably knows now that moving up for a player is usually an overpayment so unless he really covets one there's no point. And if he didn't like what he saw at 6 he could think about moving down. But generally teams keep their picks so if he adamantly says he's gonna keep it I believe him.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/how-will-the-canucks-use-the-no-6-pick/

How will the Canucks use the No. 6 pick?

As a young beat reporter, we recall a GM once stating of a player: He has a long future in this town.

The problem was, we were in Quebec City at the time, and as soon as the plane landed the next day back in Edmonton, it was announced that the player, one Brad Werenka, had been dealt to the Nordiques.

I told you he had a long future there, laughed the GM, who out of respect will remain nameless. (Hint: His team is in the Stanley Cup final, on home ice)

So, when newly minted Vancouver GM Jim Benning says of the No. 6 overall draft pick, Were using the pick, he could mean anything.

Use it to move up in the draft? Sure. Although only one team in the past five NHL drafts (Boston, 2010), has moved into the Top 7.

Acquire one of Anaheims two first-rounders in a separate Ryan Kesler deal, then use it on the trade market to fill the void at No. 2 centre left by Kesler? Why not? That would be some sharp GMing.

Weve been wrong before I know, hard to believe but hearing the conviction in Bennings voice, after hes spent a little over two weeks taking stock of the sub-28-year-old players in his organization (or lack thereof), I believe that drafting two 18-year-olds with the Nos. 6 and 36 picks overall has become even more of a priority for Benning today than when he took the job on June 23.

Heres the quote: Were using the pick. Were going to start integrating young players into our mix. This is the highest pick the Canucks have had (since 1999, the Sedins draft year). Were going to be using that pick.

Assessing the Vancouver landscape with the draft approaching, Bennings primary objective as he takes this job must be to fix the pipeline. The number and quality of NHL players on Vancouvers roster younger than Alex Edlers 28 years are few, and to the man they are depth players, depending upon your view of Chris Tanev, Zack Kassian and Shawn Matthias. That kind of talent void the eight years between a Brendan Gaunce and Edler goes through an organization like an air bubble through a hose. Bennings options to fill in that gap are: A trade draft picks, which seems counter intuitive; or B deal from his stock of veteran players with no-trade clauses to accrue younger talent and/or more draft picks.

That starts with Kesler, an extremely valuable centreman who could easily return a younger player or two from a prospect-rich club like Anaheim.

Here is what Benning said about Kesler: I had a good conversation with Ryan the other day. Were still sorting through things, but it was an informative conversation.

Here is what Benning didnt say: I had a good conversation with Ryan the other day. He wants to stay in Vancouver and we want him to stay. Hes not going anywhere.

When a GM wants trade rumours quashed, he quashes them. Benning did not. He was also forthright when asked about his cache of no-trade clause (NTC) veterans:

Its complicated any time you have to ask (a player) to waive something that theyve worked hard for and theyve earned. Its not easy. But we have to do whats best for the organization, Benning said. Were going to try to be compassionate when we do it, but at the end of the day we want to win and be successful. Well have to make those hard decisions.

The Sedins arent leaving Vancouver, period. As for Kesler, Edler, Kevin Bieksa, Alex Burrows, Jason Garrison, Dan Hamhuis, and Chris Higgins, they form the group from which this Vancouver retooling must emanate.

Veteran assets like those above are what differentiates the Canucks from rebuilds like the ones in Calgary, Edmonton and Toronto, where they started with nothing but high draft picks. How many teams say they need a Top 3 defenceman to get over the top? (Hello, St. Louis.) Well, you could argue that in Bieksa, Hamhuis and Edler the Canucks may have three of them up for grabs.

The upcoming draft will be fascinating for Canucks fans, with Benning listening to offers on all of the above, while holding the No. 6 and 36 picks. Sure, hes dealing with short lists of teams from every one of those NTC veterans, but If youre not happy with the value then you just keep the player, he says. Those guys are all good players.

And some of them, were willing to venture, wont be Canucks by the time the draft has passed.

What kind of insult is that? lol. I don't pretend to be an expert on the value of draft picks and prospects, I just observe them and try to roughly project their skills. I humbly apologize for offending you, kind sir. Now please elaborate on whether I was overvaluing or undervaluing the #1 pick, and I will listen with a bowed head and awed gaze.

Don't worry you've done nothing wrong. Don't apologize, and this person isn't kind. This is your opinion and you're entitled to it. Plus this is coming from the same person that said "it doesn't mean that we wont be using our 10th pick and blah blah blah when we don't even have the tenth pick lol. Ridiculous response.

I personally think in your proposal that is a very BIG price to pay to move up, but that is probably close(maybe a little less) to what it's going to take to get that pick. The question we should be asking ourselves is, is it worth it?

And of course here come the ensuing comments about how NOBODY will be or has been asked to move, player X Y and Z are all worthless or not moving or have reasons to stay.

I have to say I like GM Jim, he's growing on me already. Seems very much like teh capable kind of GM who will rip the band aid off fast instead of saying how player X is on his way out and subsequently dropping any trade value said player may have had.

@SportsnetSpec

Jim Benning guarantee on Vancouver's No, 6 pick. "We're going to be using that pick." You can bet he won't trade No. 36 either.

Canucks won't be dealing the pick away. They'll pick at 6 at worst.

Every team will "use" their picks. That's what the draft is about.

Could still trade it for reinhart maybe hes increasing its value to tallon to encourage a straight tanev plus 6th for 1st overall.

Either way good that player will cement our franchise. Hopesl ita ritchie. Nylander is way too small for the pacific division.

And of course here come the ensuing comments about how NOBODY will be or has been asked to move, player X Y and Z are all worthless or not moving or have reasons to stay.

I have to say I like GM Jim, he's growing on me already. Seems very much like teh capable kind of GM who will rip the band aid off fast instead of saying how player X is on his way out and subsequently dropping any trade value said player may have had.

Exactly. Keep your cards close to your chest, and don't let anyone know what think until last minute.

2008 Hodgson

2009 Schroeder

2010 None (Ballard)

2011 Jensen

2012 Gaunce

2013 Horvat, Shinkaruk

So 6 in 6 years.

Oh sure, in 6 years yeah, but depending on what 5 years the other poster was using then it could even have been 4 in 5 (if they excluded 2013).

Yeah, math. :blush:

Archived