The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

what are you doing this very second(?)

Gross-Misconduct

Just broke out of my first experience with sleep paralysis 5 minutes ago. Wasn't nice.

Really? I tried lucid dreaming once. Didn't get sleep paralysis though.

Many people that experience sleep paralysis are struck with a deep sense of terror, because they sense a menacing presence in the room while paralyzed—hereafter referred to as the intruder. This phenomenon is believed to be the result of a hyper vigilant state created in the midbrain.[9] More specifically, the emergency response activates in the brain when individuals wake up paralyzed and feel vulnerable to attack.[10] This helplessness can intensify the effects of the threat response well above the level typical to normal dreams; this could explain why hallucinations during sleep paralysis are so vivid.[10] Normally the threat activated vigilance system is a protective mechanism the body uses to differentiate between dangerous situations and determine whether the fear response is appropriate.[10] This threat vigilance system is evolutionarily biased to interpret ambiguous stimuli as dangerous, because "erring on the side of caution" increases survival chances.[10]

Now I don't remember any dreams I have..

details. I was always curious about those

Oh I'll give you details, it was very vivid. Some backstory: finished my open water scuba certification today. Got drinks with my instructors after, had a good time, took a nap when I got home which lasted until 9 pm. As a result, I couldn't fall back asleep until just recently and when I did I guess it just went into REM sleep very quickly making it hard to distinguish between awake and dream (I was still awake at 1:30).

Anyways, as far back as I remember in the dream I was getting out of a pool in a very dark, entirely white rec centre. As I was pushing my way through some doors, EDM music kept playing. I got curious and tried to find out where it was coming from so I kept pushing my way through a bunch of white double doors as it got louder until suddenly I came out of a single white door that brought me up out of the basement of my family's house (except everything was white-walled). The music is deafening at this point. I figure it's my sister playing her music, so I walk up the stairs to her room and the music becomes so loud it's in my head and it feels like the bass is physically cracking my skull. Once I got to her door I kind of just collapsed from the pain and fell back into a supine position, looking up at the white ceiling (IRL ceiling of my room and the house is white). As the music is just at an unbearable loudness, I realize I'm in my bed awake and the bass is my heart hammering in my head.

Then it just felt like I was being choked. If you've ever been put in a chokehold, it's not like that. It was the air being cut off in my throat, but not violently or painfully as if by strangulation. Just as if theres a tiny hand was inside your neck squeezing your airway to nothing. And for whatever reason, your automatic assumption isn't 'am I having a heart attack?', or something like that. I 'knew' there was somebody in my room and they were murdering me. So there's just a massive roar in my head, I can't get a whisper of a breath, and there's a blurry blue light on the ceiling that gets more intense as I get closer to 'death'. But I couldn't look around, couldn't claw at my neck, couldn't strike to my left; physically couldn't move a thing. And then as it was reaching a pitch where I thought I was about to die, I realized that this whole situation didn't make sense (like I said, I 'knew' that there was somebody killing me but they couldn't be garrotting me and there was no hand on my throat) and suddenly I could breathe, whipped my head to the left and saw nobody there.

The really weird part though was right after I 'broke free' from the paralysis, I instantly clued in as to what had happened. 'Sleep paralysis' was my first thought. But then I looked back at where the brightest point of that blue light on my ceiling was (in a corner above my bedroom door). Right now, there's a triangular shaft of dim light because my door's cracked open. But after I broke out of the sleep paralysis and looked there, that shaft of illumination looked like a section of glass window, and I could see reflections of the starlight outside and a man's silhouette walking across the yard. So I immediately re-panicked, looked out the window, saw nothing there, got out of bed and went to my sister's room, checked it without trying to wake her up, saw it was clear, went back to my room. I guess the vision was still being half-dreaming or something?

Very disorienting and uneasy experience. Would not recommend.

Really? I tried lucid dreaming once. Didn't get sleep paralysis though.

Many people that experience sleep paralysis are struck with a deep sense of terror, because they sense a menacing presence in the room while paralyzedhereafter referred to as the intruder.

Hits the nail on the head. And though it's faded now, a while after waking up I still had that same sense of insecurity I've gotten from somebody breaking into my house before.

P.S. Opened up the music on my iphone...the last song I listened to before going to sleep was 'Stay Awake' by Madeon feat. Ellie Goulding :lol: well how about that eh

Just broke out of my first experience with sleep paralysis 5 minutes ago. Wasn't nice.

I had this when I was pretty young. It's actually really scary when it's happening because you don't even know if it's a dream or reality.

Archived